I.A.R. 80/81

Started by GTX, November 18, 2007, 09:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hi folks,

An aircraft I've always liked the look of was the Romanian I.A.R. 80/81 series.  It always looked like it had so much potential if only it had a better engine (at the most it had a 14 cylinder radial giving around 1,025 hp) - so what if it was developed further?  

Maybe a new engine - say a BMW 801 (1,600 hp - 2,000 hp) or even something like a  Jumo 213 (1,725 hp - 2,020 hp)?  Perhaps even something Russian - say a Shvetsov ASh-82FN (1,850 hp)?

Armament was as follows:

IAR-80: 4 to 6 Browning FN 7.92mm Machine Guns, or 4 Browning FN 7.92mm Machine Guns and 2 Browning FN 13.2mm Machine Guns.
IAR-81: 6 Browning FN 7.92mm Machine Guns or 4 Brownings and 2 Mauser {or Ikaria} 20mm Cannons.

This is fairly good, though one could always add some 30mm Mk-108s for anti-bomber work - probably in gondolas like the Me-109s.

Other ideas?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

upnorth

I like the idea. As Romania was an Axis satelite nation, I'd think a German engine would be the only plausible option as attractive as the Svetsov might be.

I've had similar feelings toward the Czech Avia B.135 fighter. It had a ton of potential, but its engine and light armament were letdowns. If only they could have gotten Merlins for it.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

GTX

QuoteI'd think a German engine would be the only plausible option as attractive as the Svetsov might be.

Ah, but remember that Romania switched sides in late 1944.  As such they may have access to Russian engines.

Some aircraft such as this IAR 81C even carried changed national insignia and flew against the Germans:

Regards,

Greg

Daryl J.

That machine just cries "Reno!".   Schvetsov gets my vote....or how about something from Nakajima or Mitsubishi???....those engines had a small diameter, and when built properly from appropriate materials were fantastic engines.

Great aircraft isn't it.

Daryl J.

GTX

QuoteThat machine just cries "Reno!".

Reno racer - didn't think of that!  In that case I suppose anything goes - Bristol Centaurus radial engine, 2,480 hp anyone?  What about a Wright R-3350 (up to 3,700 hp!!!)

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Quoteor how about something from Nakajima or Mitsubishi???.

It's a little far, but I supposed so - maybe some IAR 80s were sold to Japan for evaluation?  Maybe a Nakajima Homare (1,330 - 1,800 hp) or Mitsubishi Kinsei ((1,000 hp - 1,700 hp) or Mitsubishi Ha 112-II radial engine (1,500 hp) or even Mitsubishi Kasei (1,400 -1,800 hp).

Another option would be to avoid the radial/annular radiator look altogether and go with a straight in-line V/inverted V-12 - say a DB605 or DB603.  After all the Italians did it with the Macchi C.205, Fiat G.55 Centauro and Reggiane Re.2005.

Regards,

Greg

elmayerle

Wasn't there a trials one built with a Jumo 211?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

GTX

Not sure - I haven't seen anything.

Another idea though - how about a jet variant (say a Jumo 004 or BMW 003) with the engine mounted Yak-15 style?

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Further to the Jumo 211 idea - apparently an attempt was indeed made to fit one. One 1220 hp 211Da was taken —complete with cowling and ring radiator— from a SM.79 and fitted to an IAR.80 in 1942. The concept was abandoned after the first test flight however, when the in-flight vibrations proved to be so bad that the engine was idled and the plane landed, never to be flown again.

Regards,

Greg

elmayerle

QuoteFurther to the Jumo 211 idea - apparently an attempt was indeed made to fit one. One 1220 hp 211Da was taken —complete with cowling and ring radiator— from a SM.79 and fitted to an IAR.80 in 1942. The concept was abandoned after the first test flight however, when the in-flight vibrations proved to be so bad that the engine was idled and the plane landed, never to be flown again.
ISTR that they also tried the engine and cowling from a He-112 and that worked much better.

On a different tangent:
Of course, while they're on the Axis side, there's always a chance of using BMW801s from "scrapped" Fw-190s.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Daryl J.

Yes, the Japanese engines are far out; impossible actually, in a real world....but this is Whiffery.   :D   From what I hear through the grapevine from the Warbird circuit is that the Japanese engines are remarkably reliable and efficient.  

The one kit I regret never buying was LTD's IAR-80.   :(

Daryl J.

Arc3371

The Romanians tried to get a license for the BMW 801

jcf

QuoteThat machine just cries "Reno!".

Reno racer - didn't think of that!  In that case I suppose anything goes - Bristol Centaurus radial engine, 2,480 hp anyone?  What about a Wright R-3350 (up to 3,700 hp!!!)

Regards,

Greg
Both are waaay too heavy for the airframe, never mind the diameters, Hercules or R-2800 would be more viable.

Jon

GTX

Something different (and not necessarily to scale):

Regards,

Greg

Arc3371

Both aircraft are nice, dont know how realistic the DB IAR-80 is since the Jumo powered IAR-80 was a failure IRL