Hellsair Jet

Started by seavixen, November 20, 2007, 06:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seavixen

As a result of a catastrophic shelf failure, I am now left with a pile of spare's box fodder. So, I've decided to see if I can make an early jet from bits of my old Hellsair, an Avenger nose and a drop tank from a Mig23.

Here's where we stand after a couple of hours. Plenty of Green Stuff to remove but I think I now have the layout and shape I want.  :wacko:

Stackridge: Rhubarb Thrashers of the World Unite

Jetfixer

OOH, looking very interesting, are you keeping the theme as Swedish perchance?. I'm thinking Viggen splinter cammo here.  B)

Greg
i'm not here, i'm a figment of someones imagination

seavixen

Not sure what theme to use yet, was considering something similar to the first Airacobras.

Bit more work done, got rid of the Green Stuff overload and now ready to do a thin skim of White Stuff to finish off. The filler around the front of the jet pipe is much smoother than it looks in the pics! You can also see the the trunking in the nose intake is now taking shape.

B777LR

Could a radar be fitted on the top of the intake? (like the dog sabre?)

elmayerle

QuoteCould a radar be fitted on the top of the intake? (like the dog sabre?)
I'd suggest either that or mounting it on the wing leading edge as done on the F6F-5N and the F4U-5N.  My own preference would be for the wing mounting unless you inverted things and put the radar below the inlet.  On top of the inlet for a taildragger is just going to make visibility during taxi that much worse.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

seavixen

Okay, first coat of primer is now on and t shows some areas that will need to be sorted but at least you can see how the air intake and exhaust fit sits in to the existing airframe.

I haven't thought about such things as radar yet but if I do include it, I reckon it will be wing mounted. Next thing is to decide what undercarriage setup to use.

elmayerle

As to undercarriage, it depends on whether or not it's going to be a taildragger.  If you're going to try for a tricycle gear, inwardly folding gear with the trunnions at the low point of the wing and a nose gear retracting under the nose and turning to lay flat would be good.  For a taildragger, a similar main gear scheme, but moved as far forward on the wing as practical coupled with a solid steel tail wheel under the jet pipe (it'll need to be solid steel to take the "soak through" temperatures from the jet pipe).

Just my $0.02.

seavixen

It will be a taildragger that much I do know. Still hunting the spares for suitable main landing gear. Also, just added a wing mounted radar pod. Not as big as I would have liked but I had nothing else to hand.

Arc3371

Looks interesting, would be great to see it in Swedish colors

elmayerle

For the main gear, you'll want, for ease of usage, the main gear from an aircraft that retracts inboard (P-51, Hellcat, etc.) rather than aft on on the Corsair or P-40 or outboard as with the Spitfire and Bf-109. It's mainly a matter of angle between axle and strut and alignment between axle and retracting mechanism.  Grnated, others can be used with more tweaking or you could make your own, I'm just suggesting what, IMHO, would be the simplest approach.  

McGreig

An impressive piece of kit recycling  ;) Looking forward to seeing it finished  :cheers:  

Jetfixer

QuoteStill hunting the spares for suitable main landing gear.

One word that may help. SPATS!!!!! A bit strange on a jet I know but why be normal.?  :dum:  :thumbsup:

Greg

seavixen

Funnily enough I had considered using spats when I first started this project. Sadly I don't have any in the spares box and there isn't a kit with spats in my stash. Anyway, here's how she looks so far. Canopy attached and much sanding carried out! I think the fuselage is now 70% Green Stuff! You can also see in the pic one of the Gannet finlets I'm thinking of using on the empenage.

Brian da Basher

I really like that wingtip radar pod, Seavixen! I'm also pleased that you considerd spats!

This one's going to be a lot of fun to watch!

Brian da Basher

Jetfixer

Another alternative could be floats?. this would suit the inverted gull wing configuration and the finlets on the rear end.. Looking good though mate. nice one.

Greg