Turreted Fighters

Started by GTX, November 26, 2007, 03:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

GTX

Something I just found - apparently Boulton Paul did look at a cannon armed Defiant with a single 20mm gun:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Has anyone ever attempted to do one of the Super Turret fighters such as the Boulton Paul P.92:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Something new:

Blackburn Roc competitor perhaps or maybe something for the Far East?

regards,

Greg

PS Mods, could we move this thread/topic to the "Aircraft, Armor, and Ships by Topic" area please as I think it is more appropriate there.

Nigel Bunker

Don't forget both the Beaufighter and Mosquito were trialled with turrets fitted, but the idea was dropped in both cases.
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

GTX

Quote from: Nigel Bunker on March 30, 2009, 11:46:18 PM
Don't forget both the Beaufighter and Mosquito were trialled with turrets fitted, but the idea was dropped in both cases.

Something like this:

or even this:

I did these a while back in the Mossie thread - both are my interpretations of what the Mossie might have looked like had it kept the turret (the 2nd is an update with a remotely controlled turret from an A-26).

Here is the Beaufighter with turret:

Regards,

Greg

Regards,

Greg

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

sequoiaranger

When I examine that photo, the "turret" looks fixed. I don't see any way that the turret can rotate (no break in the metal that indicates a track or ability to move). I think it is fixed, but the guns can elevate. Kind of like movable Schrage Muzik, or the guns on top of the P-61 Black Widow.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

PR19_Kit

From memory that particular turret on the Mossie was an aerodynamic test bed, not the real thing they planned. The gun barrels look like broomsticks to me too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

This was the aerodynamic test turret, a couple of different ones were tested and all of them detracted the overall speed by a huge margin.  This one to me looks like it might have been a remote turret, the way the guns are grouped together would not make it very easy for a gunner to be in there too.  If you look carefully you can see four holes in the side, this was where the 'barrels' were positioned to test the effect of cg and aerodynamics when the guns would have been in this position.  I think I read in the Sharp/Bowyers book the the guns were to be 20mm's, BTW this turret shed most of it's bodywork on one flight because of buffeting.  The turrets had to be positioned where it's shown because of the wing spar just between it and the cockpit and the bottom of it hung down in the bomb bay according to the book.

dy031101

While not a fighter, but, say, I want to take a A-10A/B/[N/AW] and give the airframe a rear-facing turret to help "hosing down" the enemy ground troops after an attack pass and/or maybe somehow discourage enemy aircraft from pursuing.

I can think of two schemes so far- a tail gun like that of the Il-28 or Il-102, or a streamlined dorsal turret like that designed for the Supermarine 305 (it would probably remind people of G.I. Joe's Cobra Rattler, which also has a dorsal turret).

Which one would you recommend for the afore-mentioned purposes?

(The dorsal turret scheme might require relocation of the engine pods so that the engines won't get in the way.)
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Mossie

I think the ventral position would be better, similar to the experimental mounting used on the OV-10.  You might need something a bit more lightweight than the Avenger though, it'd basically be a Goalkeeper system.  Maybe a 20mm as used on that Bronco, or maybe a chain gun similar to the Apache?

I mentioned Soviet fighters before, but I just picked up the Aerofax guide on the MiG-17 & it's got some great shots of the MiG-17SN.  The side intakes give a completely different look to the standard MiG-17 & the guns down the side of the radar give a distinctly odd look that just shouts Soviet!  Wasn't a success, the guns would make the nose pitch when elevated or depressed & caused engine surge.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

dy031101

The idea of putting the Avenger into aircraft turrets never crossed my mind.  ;D

I was ready to settle with two M39 cannons until seeing a webpage from the Jane's suggesting that M197 is actually lighter than M39 on a one-on-one basis.

Admittedly when I said dorsall turret I was indeed thinking Cobra Rattler, so my choice of weapons tended toward 20mm calibre, but M230 chain gun sounds good for practical purposes (i.e. strafing ground troops), too......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on June 01, 2009, 06:17:03 AM

I picked up a 1/72 kit of this last year or so, MPC I think. It's a YOV-10D

Mossie

Quote from: dy031101 on June 01, 2009, 07:56:52 AM
The idea of putting the Avenger into aircraft turrets never crossed my mind.  ;D

Ah, weight be damned, lets bung two Avenger turrets in, one above, one below!!! :  :party: :drink: :party: :lol:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.