Avro CF-105 Arrow

Started by uk 75, April 26, 2005, 02:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on December 19, 2013, 01:02:08 PM
kitnut617

QuoteWell, even the CF-105 was a bit ""short-legged"" to go that far, librarian.  The Mk.2 with the Iroquois only had a 600 mile radius of action.

I'm surprised the range was so poor considering it was designed to cruise supersonic w/o afterburner.

Erm  --- NOT!

http://va3kgb.ve3kbr.com/cf105/specifications.htm
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

An Arrow looks great no matter HOW short the range.  ;D

I see at least one RAF one in my future. Do SAC do white metal wheels for a 1/72 Arrow? If not they ought to.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

The original 1/72 Hobbycraft kit's main gear are a bit grim and way off the mark as to what they really looked like.  I don't know if the ""new tool"" 1/72 kit's are any better as I've not seen the kit.  On my first Hobbycraft CF-105 build (the corrected wing kit that is), I scratch-built some main gear to represent what appears in the Arrowhead book, someday I'll revisit it and try to do a much better job at it so I can include it in the VP kit that I now own the moulds too (which one day I'll put back into production)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Librarian

Well now, seeing as the Cold War is heating up again with Canada claiming the Arctic as sovereign territory and Russia declaring "Niet", maybe its time to dust off those blueprints.

jcf

Cold War heating up again? Mm, not that is an era that is as dead as the Norwegian Blue.

Any new bickering between Russia and the "West" is more a reset to the 19th century Great Game
than it is the 20th century conflict of economic ideologies.

Anyhow, whatever the case a warmed-over 1950s aircraft design aint' the answer for supposed defense needs.  :banghead:

Librarian

Peter Hopkirk used to be a customer of mine and he fascinated me with his incredible knowledge of the Great Game. So much to know and so little time.

eatthis

am i right in thinking the f18 is canadas front line fighter/interceptor?
whats the range on them?
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

rickshaw

Quote from: Librarian on December 20, 2013, 01:54:55 PM
Peter Hopkirk used to be a customer of mine and he fascinated me with his incredible knowledge of the Great Game. So much to know and so little time.

I have several of Hopkirk's books.  They are excellent.  However, the "Great Game" referred to a specific geographic area - the North-West Frontier and Central Asia.  It also ended when the Afghans at British behest annexed the Wakhan region to form a buffer zone between the Russian and British Empires in the Hindu Kush.  While many American commentators (usually right-wing) have attempted to take the name for their machinations in Central Asia, it really isn't appropriate.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

KJ_Lesnick

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Gondor

Been following this discussion with interest and would like to build one in 1/72, but where would I get one?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

KJ_Lesnick

The whole idea of the Arrow having short range kind of gave me an idea based on one conceptual variant of the Arrow.  There was one that had forward swept ferri-intakes and drop tanks that had the gears tucked into them.

I don't like the idea truthfully of the landing-gear drop-tank idea, but the ferri-intake brings up a lot of interesting possibilities

• The Skyray, Skylancer, Voodoo, and Thud all had intakes that were fairly flat to their depth
  • The Skyray, Thud, and Skylancer also had some blending of the wing and some of the outer-wall/nacelle to it.
  • This could be elaborated into an area ruling of sorts with the wing put in a mid position rather than a top position
  • This could make the fuselage stronger or lighter, and also free up room for fuel
  • Furthermore it could also allow for a shorter landing-gear which caused a lot of weight problems in the aircraft
  • The gears could also be repositioned
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Sauragnmon

Conversely you could alter the model so that it's got a Low-mount wing, much like the Phantom - that would cut gear length significantly, you could still retain the in-wing gear folds, the only question might be how the airframe modification would affect the payload bay, as the wing starts about a quarter to a third of the way into the weapon bay's start position.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Librarian

Quote from: Gondor on December 21, 2013, 11:46:04 AM
Been following this discussion with interest and would like to build one in 1/72, but where would I get one?

Gondor

Some here:

http://www.kingkit.co.uk/search.php?pager=1&searchword=arrow

Gondor

Quote from: Librarian on December 22, 2013, 01:38:23 AM

Gondor

Some here:

Yikes at the price!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on December 22, 2013, 01:49:44 AM
Quote from: Librarian on December 22, 2013, 01:38:23 AM

Gondor

Some here:

Yikes at the price!

Gondor

And the 1/48 one is even worse, it's 'only' £54.....  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit