Avro CF-105 Arrow

Started by uk 75, April 26, 2005, 02:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

No complaints from me ! I'm pretty sure it's the Yankee engine as per the prototypes.

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Jeffry Fontaine

As Todd said, pretty much a good starting point for an Arrow, it has the overall shape and you just need to spend lots of time and money to get it right.  I have both releases of the 1/48th scale Hobbycraft CF-105 Arrow kit in protective custody.  Aside from the change in the way the wings were attached to the fuselage, it is pretty much the same kit complete with exhaust parts that have no real definition and at least in the later release the funny shaped fuel tank was deleted.  

The missile shapes provided in the kit represent nothing in real life so you will need to source some AIM-7 Sparrow and AIM-4 Falcon shapes from another kit.  Let me know if you need any of these.  Other options to consider if you are going to WHIF-it would be to look at the AIM-47 and AIM-54 if you are interested in building an interceptor.  

Good luck!
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Daryl J.

Chances this one will be built clean, thanks however.    Being tossed about the mix is a display where the weaponry is out front like often pictured by manufacturers; so there would be rocket/scramjet based air-to-ground strike capability.

One scenario:
Avro Arrow leaves Regina heading north to counter the stike on Minot AFB, drops a rocket with a scramjet nuke just inside Canada's northernmost airspace and begins a wide turn back to the Queen City whilst the rocket heads north over the pole,burns out, the scramjet zips into Russia.........k'blam.     Colors would still be White/Red/Black but some tribute markings to the prairie provinces in some way.  Scratchbuilt misselry

Or:  RAF used in conjunction with the TSR.2 and RN Vigilantes (see Jennings profile).

Or....Something USAF...
Or.... :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Daryl J.

Daryl J.

Additional external fuel tankage for starters, added bumps and barbs for electronic upgrades.

Daryl J., oh what might have been.

elmayerle

Mk.3 was supposed to have Fieri inlets and revised structure for higher speeds.  Mk.4 was, ISTR, the Mk.3 with underwing tank provisions.  Beyond that, there were studies of a high-speed/high-altitude version with an extended nose mounting canards and dual-ramjet/fuel pods under each with with the main gear retracting into them.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Archibald

This aircraft is my favorite of all times, but we already discussed it so much times (sigh...)

So what's new ?
Arrow with F-15 nose and engines (F-110 GE-129 of late Eagles) eventually F-15 intakes.

Arrow with F-6D, F-12 or F-14 AAMs (Eagle, Falcon or Phoenix). Anigrand Missileer could give its AAMs.

CEV Arrow (testbed for the Mirage IVB engines, the Iroquois was on the list but lost to the J-75 before the Mirage IVB itself was scrapped).

Raspberry ripple Arrow  :wub:  

Scaled-down CF-105 with a pair of J-79 or Avon, no weapon bay.

Arrow with recessed AN-52, french nuclear bomber.

CF-105 with recessed Skybolt under the belly, SRAMs, or every cruise missile you can think about.

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

elmayerle

QuoteArrow with recessed AN-52, french nuclear bomber.

CF-105 with recessed Skybolt under the belly, SRAMs, or every cruise missile you can think about.
Strike Arrow proposal for the RAF included the capability to carry an advanced, scaled-dwon variatn of Blue Steel semi-submerged in the weapons bay.

I could see a recce pallet for the Arrow ith a modular eqipment fit like that fitted to some F-111s.

dy031101

QuoteMk.4 was, ISTR, the Mk.3 with underwing tank provisions.  Beyond that, there were studies of a high-speed/high-altitude version with an extended nose mounting canards and dual-ramjet/fuel pods under each with with the main gear retracting into them.
According to "Avro Aircraft & Cold War Aviation" by Randall Whitcomb, Mk.4 was the low-cost alternative to the very-high-speed/high-altitude version (which was called Arrow PS-2) by combining Mk.3 airframe with the dual-ramjet/fuel pod.

EDIT: It's PS-2 not JS-2.  And I made the typo right after I read the book again...... how embarassing.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

elmayerle

I think the Mk.4 was not fully defined when the program was cancelled as I've also seen it depicted as I described; much the same configuration as was proposed to the RAF for a Javelin replacement.

I know Randall's picture (yes, I know him - take a look at the acknowledgements to Avro Aircraft and Cold War Aviation - my copy is autographed by both Rnadall and Jim Floyd and my copy of his "Thunder Before the Storm" print is autographed by him and Zura) but I've also seen the Mk.4 depicted by other artists as a Mk.3 with underwing tanks.

dragon

Anti-ship CF-105: fit it out with Exocet Missiles

Anti-Satellite CF-105

I don't know how maneuverable this beast would have been with canards....Maybe a "Wild Weasel" (or some other moniker- suitably Canadian of course) variant.

Maybe a "poor man's" SR-71 recon type?  Flat Black, of course!  B)  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

lenny100

Maybe a "poor man's" SR-71 recon type?  Flat Black, of course!  B)
I have a book which says that the whole program for the arrow was not cancelled but went black as a recon strike fighter and was its self replaced by the blackbird.

in the book it describes the aircraft as a single pilot with the rear cockpit replaced by a recon suite and panted dark green on top and sky blue undersides

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

The Rat

QuoteBeyond that, there were studies of a high-speed/high-altitude version with an extended nose mounting canards and dual-ramjet/fuel pods under each with with the main gear retracting into them.
One of the original concept models of that:

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Daryl J.

Respectfully said that concept uglified the aircraft significantly.  :ill:

Are there any handy links to other threads involving the Arrow.  I was unawares as to previous discussion.

FWIW, it would be fun to see a whiffed Arrow, TSR.2, and Vigilante all in the same squadron together.    B)

Daryl J., fascinated w/ the above info.

The Rat

QuoteAre there any handy links to other threads involving the Arrow.
Just go to the 'search' button at the top and punch in arrow. Then surf through about a billion returns.  :P

You're right, it ain't pretty. But I would love to strap myself in and go balls to the wall!  :ar:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

I was reading my Air-Britain book about the CC-106/CL-44 when I came across an interesting snippet of information.  It said that the CF-101 Voodoo purchase was connected to a sale of CL-44's to the States, this was to counter some Senator who had run a bill though congress that was to have prohibited any US airline from buying CL-44's (or other foreign airplanes for that matter but was aimed specifically at the CL-44) while US aircraft manufacturers were idle.  Apparently there was a lot of interest in the CL-44 from MATS at the time too.

Now for some reason I had thought that the CF-101 deal was connected to the Bomarc and the Arrow' demise.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike