F4U, AU1 (Vought), FG1, F2G (Goodyear), and F3A (Brewster) Corsair.

Started by nev, December 22, 2002, 12:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

As promised, Chance Vought P-48A Outlaw Mk.I of 247 (China British) Sqn RAF:

More photos & backstory here:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21711.0.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

So there I was thinking, I wonder what a in-line Corsair would look like and 1 min later I had this:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

sequoiaranger

I bet that sucker would be H*ll to land on a carrier!!  Or anywhere else, for that matter. Looks like the YP-37 with that cockpit so far back.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

jcf

Quote from: GTX on October 10, 2008, 02:37:57 PM
So there I was thinking, I wonder what a in-line Corsair would look like and 1 min later I had this:

Regards,

Greg

Greg,
take a look a the cutaway I'm linking and you'll see that the aft end of the cowling on the Corsair is not the aft end of the engine installation.
The mounts continue back to joggled line mid fuselage, the one that lines up with the main spar of the wing and the antenna mast a the top.

http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/portland/971/images/drawings/f4u_cutaway_01.jpg

Here is a cool site for Corsair drawings.
http://www.f4ucorsair.com/tdata/blueprints.html
Click on the profile and plan views on the left side for blueprints.
Here is the full fuselage centreline, it shows the engine mounts in profile :
http://www.f4ucorsair.com/tdata/fullfuse.jpg

The installed length (including induction system) of the R-2800 in the F4U-1, 2 series was 88.37 inches, in the F4U-4 family 93.77 inches and on the F4U-5 it was 98.5 inches.

Your Griffon wouldn't need to be hanging out in space in the fashion shown.

Jon

Mossie

I'd guess from Jon's description the front end would look something like the Tempest or inline Fury?

Here's a pic of the first Fury packing a Griffon, front end looks pretty much what your going for Greg, if you delete the intake.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

There's a couple of options for a Griffon power egg, from a description I was given of one Griffon powered Tempest (the guy had said he'd seen a drawing of it but wasn't able find it again) it was very similar to the Firefly Mk.I/II, but the cowling of the Firefly Mk.IV/V would IMO work a lot better for your application, plus if you use the Airfix kit you'd have a set of leading edge radiators (I don't see where you have placed these in your profile).  The second Griffon powered Tempest is like the photo Mossie posted, (and just FYI the airframe serial number transfered from this Tempest to the Fury shown)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

GTX

People, I did say I only spent a minute on this so please forgive gross inaccuracies - anyway, maybe it isn't a Griffon engine (it just looks a little like one ;D

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

F4U-4BX, the second F4U-4 prototype, March 31, 1945 with non-jettisonable tiptanks.  :party:

Jon

kitbasher

Quote from: Mossie on October 11, 2008, 06:34:55 AM
Here's a pic of the first Fury packing a Griffon, front end looks pretty much what your going for Greg, if you delete the intake.

Griffon Corsair is top (well, ish...) of my 'To Do List '09'.  Got the Revell/Italeri Corsair, got the Shackleton engine front end courtesy of The Wooksta and got the Airfix/PM Sea Fury decals.  Shack bit is a good fit.   ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

gofy

Could the Corsair keep the round cowl and still have an  inline? (Think TA-152, FW-190-D9)
In my opinion, British, Canadian, or USAF markings make things look so much better...

kitnut617

Quote from: gofy on October 20, 2010, 02:03:25 PM
Could the Corsair keep the round cowl and still have an  inline? (Think TA-152, FW-190-D9)

Well that's what the Fury in the pic above has, gofy. So it should work perfectly on the Corsair because the cowling is about the same diameter.

I used a Shackleton nacelle front too, but had to change a lot of the detail.

kitbasher

Well 2 years on and I've not made a start on my Griffon Corsair!  How lame am I??
Might not bother now, don't want to steal kitnut's thunder.
:banghead:
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

Quote from: kitbasher on October 21, 2010, 07:26:57 AM
Well 2 years on and I've not made a start on my Griffon Corsair!  How lame am I??
Might not bother now, don't want to steal kitnut's thunder.
:banghead:

KB, don't stop because of me, I'd really like to see a Corsair done like this.

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on October 21, 2010, 05:02:22 AM
Quote from: apophenia on October 20, 2010, 06:47:07 PM
Beautifully done kit' !  :bow:

Indeed!  :wub:

Thanks guys, I should get on and finish it, right !!

The carb intake isn't like a Shack's, it's more like the Merlin 85 set-up, top pic here is of the Merlin 85 nacelle (a set of these were kindly provide by Martin H recently), second pic is the Shack's, and the third is how I revised mine.

raafif

the Fact ...
The Japanese captured 1 Hellcat (bellied in on Formosa) & 1 Corsair (bellied in north of Tokyo). There are photos of both after being put back on their undercarriages & wings folded. There is also a photo of the Hellcat with Hinamarus found by US forces being used as a dummy on an airfield but it's thought it was never actually air-tested by the Japanese.

the Whif ...
Here is my Corsair in Japanese colours ... after testing it was pressed into service for Home Defence & scored 3 victories ...

Doing a diorama of the Tamiya kit in IJN colours -- on its belly, flaps down -- test-pilot scratching head ... "the ground came up quicker than I could find where the gear lever was" ...
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.