F4U, AU1 (Vought), FG1, F2G (Goodyear), and F3A (Brewster) Corsair.

Started by nev, December 22, 2002, 12:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Now, that would have, shall we say, "interesting" roll characteristics, I think.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

raafif

you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

coolpop6307

Quote from: raafif on June 08, 2012, 01:26:34 PM
guess I'll post this here too ...  Cor !, I Dare someone to build this in plastic ! ;)

I saw something similar that is in plastic.

It is not like that one but still cool looking.  :cheers:  ;D
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

raafif

wow!, that's a nice torpedo-bird.  Thanks for posting them, coolpop.

Yes, Tophe :wacko: is my inspiration, teacher & enabler.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

Talon

A concept of my own, is a turboprop fighter using an Allison T40/Armstrong Siddeley Double Mamba type setup, giving it the benefits of both a single engine airframe and and twin engine reliability. It would basic be like GTX's mustang but with a wider lower engine cowl and exhaust at the back of the wing roots on each side.

now to work out how to attach a pic =/

Dizzyfugu

I revive this because of a current project of mine: has anyone (ever) considered or tried fitting a Griffon engine on a F4U fuselage? I am currently working on a late Corsair conversion in Commonwealth use aftre WWII, with a bubble canopy and a different engine - at first I considered the Centaurus radial, a "typical" choice for such a project.

But then, when I did some legwork for a Beaufighter conversion project, I stumbled across the Avro Shackleton/Lincoln and its Griffon nacelles with the round, chin-mounted radiators. I wonder if this goes together, somehow...? The result should look odd - and it's a great excuse for another contraprop conversion!

famvburg

I put the cowl and prop from a Frog Shackleton on an F4U-1 years ago. Just about a perfect fit.

Dizzyfugu

Ah, that sound promising, thank you fro the feedback. I intend to transplant a resin Griffon (for a Lincoln) from Red Roo onto an Italeri F4U-7. Still waiting for the parts from the other side of this planet, though... I was not certain if the diameters match up, but obviously it seems feasible? That should become a killer Corsair...  :wacko:

nighthunter

Quote from: famvburg on October 04, 2012, 06:15:00 AM

I put the cowl and prop from a Frog Shackleton on an F4U-1 years ago. Just about a perfect fit.

As we say in the internet world "pictures or it didn't happen", LOL. I believe you, just would really like to see some pictures, lol.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Dizzyfugu

I guess that the diameter of the Corsair fuselage and the Griffon from a Shackleton/Licoln with its round radiator intake are pretty close to each other - and the shape should be similar, too.

I am still waiting for my donation/conversion parts to arrive (coming from Australia to Germany...) - but pics of such a beast would be nice and highly appreciated!

The Big Gimper

Is it a SAW because of your modeling  tool or the raspy sound from the Griffon?  ;)
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

PR19_Kit

That looks pretty promising Thomas!  :thumbsup:

Is that a Griffon or a Merlin 85 power egg you have on the nose there?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

No, it's "Strike, All Weather"...  ;)

Yes, it's a Griffon 85's - actually intended for RAAF Lincoln bombers, from a resin conversion set from Australia by Red Roo (hence the shrouded exhausts). Had to wait four weeks for them to arrive from the other side of the world, but their diameter is almost right - they just miss 1-2mm, which can be filled with putty (yes, the 'Power of Presto'). The pic shows a very early stage of surgery, just after having fitted the Griffon in place and rough cutting on the fuselage.

Contraprop will be fitted, too, this thing looks pretty martial...  ;D