F4U, AU1 (Vought), FG1, F2G (Goodyear), and F3A (Brewster) Corsair.

Started by nev, December 22, 2002, 12:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

It looks like a Lincoln Merlin 85 set Kit, maybe a DB productions one (Flightpath).  It's not like Martin's set though or the Paragon Lancaster Merlin 85 set (which doesn't have the air intake positioned under the spinner)

D'oh! to late.  BTW Lincolns were powered by Merlin 85's -- however there was a Griffon 61 installation that did look a bit like it, on one of the Hawker Fury prototypes.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

I wish I was at home, I have samples of both conveniently to hand, especially the Merlin 85s, for which I have two projects planned already.  ;)

It sure looks the business though.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

The Griffon set-up that looks like that was used on another aircraft other than the Fury prototype, it was installed on the Fairey Firefly Mk.III.  Only one was built but later the Firefly AS.7 and U.8 also had the Griffon installed like that.  There's some excellent photos of them in the Squadron 'Firefly in Action' book. As far as I'm aware those are the only fighters that got that particular installation (someone is bound to jump in and correct me now --- )
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Dizzyfugu

Conversion makes good progress. Body work is through and I started painting - the EDSG/Sky livery with a high waterline looks excellent on the long-nosed Corsair. Decals are about to be applied  ;D

Radish

Sounds good....got a couple of 1/48th steampunked Corsairs.
One in Beer Wars "Budweiser" markings....the other is RAF in the Korean War. :thumbsup:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

perttime

Quote from: Radish on October 30, 2012, 09:40:20 AM
Sounds good....got a couple of 1/48th steampunked Corsairs.
One in Beer Wars "Budweiser" markings....the other is RAF in the Korean War. :thumbsup:
What? Where? I want to see them!  :wacko:

perttime

.... an open cockpit corsair might look cool.
Then it would have to be built for a slightly earlier period, or some dieselpunk or even steampunk world ....

Dizzyfugu

You could even make it a "Double Decker", with another (inverted) pair of wings on top of the front fuselage. Then add a fixed landing gear...? Sounds odd, but could work and even look good?  :unsure:

perttime

My feelings on biplanes are a bit divided but fixed landing gear sounds good  :lol:

Dizzyfugu

rickshaw

The normal Corsair had a long nose which was bad enough, that one's ginormous!   Looks the part though!  Coming along nicely there.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

Brutish, I like that!  Fighters don't have to be pretty, looks like it's been hit with the ugly stick, then turned it on it's owner and bludgeoned them to death with it. :wacko:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.