Mitsubishi A6M9 "Zac"

Started by gooberliberation, December 01, 2007, 03:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooberliberation

Academy's A6M5 re-engined with an Aichi Atsuta vee engine. Noseguns will probably go bye-bye.

Yeah, I didn't think it would've actually worked out this well when I started :lol:  PSR under the nose/wing root should be fun though. :dum:  
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Brian da Basher

Woah absolutely killer, Goober!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

BadersBusCompany

Looking forward to seeing how this one pans out, looks good so far. B)  

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Very attractive, looks like a real speedy machine even at this early stage.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

devil505

Can't wait to see the finished product.
Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory..Lasts forever.

Jeffry Fontaine

Looks interesting so far.  I hope you do reconsider the location of your scoop at the rear of the fuselage.  It would look more at home under the engine cowling right in front of that scoop from the original engine.  Is it too wide for that spot?  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Daryl J.

Hasegawa Zero + Italeri Macchi?

That looks very good indeed.
Daryl J.

GTX

QuoteNoseguns will probably go bye-bye.

Maybe a single nose cannon could be retained firing through the hub - be good for bringing down the B-29s.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

frank2056

One advantage of moving the scoop forward is that you can use it to hide the gap... thereby reducing the PSR required!

SinUnNombre

Looks good Goob! I agree with the others about moving the scoop forward, if not changing it all together.  And if it were my model, I would keep the nose guns. But again, that's just me. Thanks for sharing, and keep us posted.

Jon

gooberliberation

QuoteOne advantage of moving the scoop forward is that you can use it to hide the gap... thereby reducing the PSR required!
Thanks for the input.  :) I think I'll use the original kit radiator since it's a lot cleaner and is actually supposed to fill that gap.... as soon as I find it.  :wacko: Stupid carpet monster.

QuoteHasegawa Zero + Italeri Macchi?

Actually Academy Zero + Tamiya Seiran. I may use a Macchi's noseguns however.
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

SinUnNombre

Quoteas soon as I find it.  :wacko: Stupid carpet monster.
Well, just from looking at the shape, it doesn't look like it would be too hard to scratchbuild if you don't find it. Just use a section cut from half a bomb or drop tank. Or even some Evergreen or Plastruct tube if you have some. Of course, if you do build one, you will find the original as soon as you get done!  :P

Jon

Edit: Just noticed the background in your pics. Looks kinda familiar......

gooberliberation

QuoteOf course, if you do build one, you will find the original as soon as you get done!  :P
So I was in the middle of widening a box and scratchbuilding a radiator and ta-da! I found the original. Unfortunately, noseguns are definitely gone. I wasn't feeling up to doing more grafting tonight. I think will go with Greg's suggestion and add a hub-cannon. Those dinky 7.7mm guns seemed kinda outta place on a bomber-killer. :ar:

I've decided to go with overall prototype-orange for the paint scheme, complete with prototype tailnumber. I'll try to do some homework concerning prototype tailcodes. A totally different engine warrants a new codename as well. Any suggestions? Zac? :P  

lancer

This is shaping up really well Goob, looking forward to further progress
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

GTX

Well for a codename, it would be a male name given its a fighter.  Maybe have a look here for a list of the names and then select one not on the list.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!