So A Big Draken Is Coming

Started by Daryl J., December 01, 2007, 11:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

Hadn't thought much about the Swedes being a Norwegian myself...... ^_^

Save for the up front price, that'd be a fun one to whiff.
Daryl J.

elmayerle

Cool!!  Where did you find it and what kind of price are we talking about?  Remember, the old 1/48 Lindberg kit of the prototype configuration goes for $25.00 on E-Bay.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

jcf

GTX

I wouldn't mind doing some Drakens in the colours of some Mirage III operators - say any of these:

* United Arab Emirates,
   * Argentina,
   * Australia,
   * Belgium,
   * Brazil,
   * Chile,
   * Colombia,
   * Egypt,
   * Israel,
   * Lebanon,
   * Libya,
   * Pakistan,
   * South Africa,
   * Spain,
   * Switzerland, and/or
   * Venezuela.

Damn so many choices.

Regards,

Greg

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Gekko_1

Oh hell yes! :party:  :wub:

This is a Whiffers dream come true jet!

So many schemes could be done!

Greg's choices are great, but only the tip of a very big iceberg!

Mav, lead the charge my friend! I'll give ya 24 hours to have the first profile up! :P  :lol:

:party:  :party:  :party:

Richard.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Hmmm, as a dyed-in-the-wool cynic I am very tempted to say, I'll wait till I see it in my LHS before I start jumping up and down, however that wee piece of optimisim I keep hidden away for special occassions, is getting very agitated just now.

So profilers..... (that includes you Mr Gekko), anything and I do mean anything looks sexy in desert camo.... hint. Also I understand the RAF, Italy, the Luftwaffe and the Dutch AF were very interested in the Draken.... alright I made that up, but y'all know where I'm goint with this  :ph34r:

Here's hoping, eh.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

nev

Very surprised to see Hasegawa doing it.  Not complaining mind, although its not really my bag.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

retro_seventies

Brilliant - i love 'em.

Regarding profiles - this might  help:  

http://download.yousendit.com/0ECCD29579E5F6E5  

Just happened to have it handy - it's a vector profile, saved as a pdf (to keep quality high and filesize down).  Might help BBC, Mav et al get in the game with a bit less effort...
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

retro_seventies

Done a couple on my profile thread....hope they are ok!

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...pic=14621&st=60
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Jennings

To quote a favorite movie line of mine:

"Wa-hoo!" :)

Now if we could get a 1/48 J-21/21R and a J-32 we'd be all set!

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Arc3371

QuoteBrilliant - i love 'em.

Regarding profiles - this might  help: 

http://download.yousendit.com/0ECCD29579E5F6E5   

Just happened to have it handy - it's a vector profile, saved as a pdf (to keep quality high and filesize down).  Might help BBC, Mav et al get in the game with a bit less effort...
Thanks a lot!

As for profiles, there was a french comic called "Jaktfalkarna" (hunting falcons) in Swedish were the African bad guys always flew Drakar

Edit: Original title was "Tanguy et Laverdure" there was supposedly also a TV series and movie

Jeffry Fontaine

Some images of the parts sprue for the new Hasegawa 1/48th scale Saab J35F / J35J Draken (kit #PT41) at this link http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/PT41/PT41.html

I am a bit disappointed that Hasegawa has failed to provide any weapons in the kit.  Since Sweden was one of the few countries other than the United States that actually use the AIM-4 and AIM-26 Falcon air to air missiles operationally.  The F35 was carried both weapons and Hasegawa has apparently overlooked that one small detail that could have made this kit even more interesting and will require purchase of the weapons set that provides the AIM-4 in order to fit it with something other than the drop tanks.   
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

B777LR

I think i might even buy this kit if i find it cheap anywhere. Or any other 1/48 Draken for that sake.

My plans would be:

Scale-o-rama!

1/48 Draken converted into 1/72 medium sized deep penetration bomber! 4 seats, side by side like the Prowler. Single engine might need to be replaced by 2 smaller ones for the realism. Tail might need some revisions too, to make it a wee bit smaller / shorter.

Daryl J.

WW-II early Finn scheme with small roundels
RNoAF white/grey wrap around--lo viz Norske markings
Montana ANG with extended oleos and Rancho Shocks stickers to illustrate it's full soft-field/gravel road capability
Canards somewhere small or large/IDF
Royal Navy with Ex Dk Sea Grey/White
Raspberry Ripple would go exceptionally well here yes??   :wub:
Mich ANG with a full tail of large Yellow/Black and possibly a drop tank set divided simply into half black/half yellow on top and the reverse underneath
Tigermeet + Splinter to annoy those too lazy to correct their astigmatism.
RLM 74/75/76 with red trim and the Iron Cross in a soft edge smooth camouflage for some squadron in Germany circa 1969
Batman's next batplane!!!!!!!!!   :wub: :wub: :wub:

Major structural change:
Ogival wing tips and vertical tail and voila, the co-developed Hawker Dragon FA.1 with mandatory pin up art of Swedish blue eyd blondes

Daryl J., listening to Norwegian music on iTunes

Ian the Kiwi Herder

OK, so now it looks like I can get excited.

Here's a few ideas - most of which Greg has dropped-on, but fleshed-out a wee bit more.

RNoAF
(Early) - Overall 'painted' aluminium, faded to matt due to harsh weather. 2 or 4 early AIM-9's and two drop tanks.

(Late) - Fin-tip ECM pod (think RAF Jag) later AIM-9's and/or AGM-45's and simple three tone grey wraparound camo.

RNethAF
(Early) - Dark Sea Grey/NATO Green/Aluminium undersides

(Late) - Ocean Grey/NATO Green wraparound with late AIM-9's and/or AGM-65's.

(West) German
(Early) - Has to be the classic Gelbolive/Bassaltgrau/Silbergrau scheme with some day-glo orange somewhere, maybe the droptank or wingtip. Alternatively the Marinefleiger scheme of Bassaltgrau/Silbergrau.

(Late) - Green/Green/Charcoal wraparound, or as a camouflage trials aircraft from the late seventies/early eighties.

Israel
A no-brainer..... the earlier (pre pastel shades) three tone desert camouflage with light grey/blue undersides, perhaps with 4 x matra pods.

Japan
(Early) - Overall medium grey, perhaps ADC Grey or RAF Medium Sea Grey with enormous full colour squadron markings - raid your Hasegawa F-4J's & F-104's for fin markings, there's so many to choose from.

(Late) - the three-tone pattern from F-1's & RF-4's would be stunning.

And don't get me started on the RAF ones  :wacko: - you just know there will be a couple of them..... I'm thinking late lo-vis with coloured spine/fin..... maybe 74 (Tiger) Squadron, Mmmmmm stripey. But then our Nev has just sold me an Airfix Lightning and that has LOTS of very bright options that wont be used - (where's the evil laugh smiley when you need it !)  :wub:

Ian

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)