A

Saab Viggen

Started by Archangel, December 02, 2007, 01:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrenP

Would have been interesting if the Viggen had beaten the F16 & F1 Mirage for the Danish, Norwegian,Belgian and Dutch F104 replacement could have produced some interesting variations and colour schemes. Would also have been nice to see it in Austrian markings as well

GTX

Quote from: DarrenP on January 28, 2010, 03:31:54 AM
Would have been interesting if the Viggen had beaten the F16 & F1 Mirage for the Danish, Norwegian,Belgian and Dutch F104 replacement could have produced some interesting variations and colour schemes. Would also have been nice to see it in Austrian markings as well

What, like these?

and just for good measure, this:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

A different sort of two seat Viggen:

Regards,

Greg

Weaver

Nice one GTX: that stretched twin-stick Viggen's certainly prettier than the real one, and would carry more fuel too. It would probably need more fin area too though: how about a MiG-23-style folding ventral fin?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

That's the big issue I have with the Viggen and Draken  - they're a bit too short and fat in profile. That does make it look much better. For additional fin area, what about a Phantom fin? That would look pretty good.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

OR increase the fin chord by moving the trailing edge backwards, so that the new rudder hinge line is about where it's trailing edge is now.

Re the profile, yes the Viggen's short and fat, but on the other hand, I think that gives it a very pugnacious look. Honda used to describe some of their bike fuel tanks as having a "clenched fist" profile and to me, the Viggen's muscular lumps and bumps have something of the same quality.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

The Airfix Viggen might be a good place to start for a more streamlined Viggen, it was based on the prototype & has no hump in the spine.

Have a look at the 'Super Viggen' I posted on page 1, that's a touch more sleek too.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Folks,

Is the Airfix (ESCI) Saab JA-37 Viggen the only game in town when it comes to 1/48?

regards,

Greg

ChernayaAkula

'fraid it is.

What wouldn't I give for an accurate Viggen done by Hasegawa or the likes (and subsequent scale-downs to 1/72, of course)? :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

pyro-manic

Well, Hasegawa did the Draken recently, so there is a possibility. Expensive though...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

ChernayaAkula

Found some interesting pics! Viggen with AMRAAMs!  :wacko:

Never knew they flew with these. Always thought they'd wait for the Gripen to introduce AMRAAM and keep the Viggens equipped with Sky Flash until phase-out.

http://www.defence.co.kr/weaponbook/weapon/viggen/ja376.jpg
http://www.defence.co.kr/weaponbook/weapon/viggen/ja379.jpg
http://www.defence.co.kr/weaponbook/imgsrc13/ja378.htm
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

Yeah that was the last upgrade: JAS-37. :thumbsup:

Note that whatever's in that ECM pod is apparently more important than a fourth AMRAAM.... :wacko:

- Indiana Jones

retro_seventies

Hey famvburg:  This one?  :wub:

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

famvburg

Hmm. I may have remembered wrong, seeing that this box is for the short lived "Adventures of" line, between the regular GI Joe & AT. I think they used that same box art for the AT Fantastic Free Fall tho. I wonder if that box art is why the Viggen's stuck in my mind all these years...... 

Quote from: retro_seventies on October 18, 2010, 12:09:15 PM
Hey famvburg:  This one?  :wub:

LAVI

Love what the Swiss Viggen would have looked like.  How about an Israeli or Singapore profile? 

Darrell