S

Real Close Air Support

Started by Sangamon, December 02, 2007, 02:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sangamon

Hi there,

well someone (thanks Greg) told me that I should post the pictures of one of my older projects right here, cause this seems to exactly the right place for such a weird idea. So take a look at this model which I have made several years ago, just for fun :dum:
If you want to see more, feel free to take a look at my website: www.usns.biz

Fictional Very Close Air Support Aircraft A-?

Proposed Replacement for A-10 Thunderbolt II

PRAYING MANTISE

When the A-10 was the meanest thing around, I started to think about a replacement in form of an even meaner machine. Due to my (sick ?) fanatsy this machine should be something which one could call a flying tank. To really fulfill it's role of close air support (and I thought of really close) it had to be a VTOL aircraft. And off course it should be able not only to withstand almost any kind of hit's but most of all it should have been armed with almost everything you could think of.: machine guns/cannons (for the trigger happy gunner)), anti-tank missiles, (against the bad guys in their earth bound vehicles) anti aircraft missiles (for those aircrafts who dared to come down that low) unguided rockets (just for the hell of it) and some kind of big gun for everything else not worse a missile. To make the whole monster even more frightening I added 2 sets of this weapons on swiveling arms which could turn and rotate in almost any direction, even backwards to check six or should I say to ruin everyones day who tried it from this direction? Sure the problem would be that these two arms could not hold a whole lot of ammunition so both arms could rotate and swing backwards to the wings and "dock" into a special designed box where they would be automatically rearmed. Do I now qualify for being totally nuts? The whole thing is made of balsa wood and LOTS of putty, some of the weapons came from Roco minitanks.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/hie.../Mantise-05.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/hie.../Mantise-01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/hie.../Mantise-06.jpg

Have fun with those pictures and let me know if you like it or not

keep on modeling
René
www.usns.biz

The Rat

Rene, you'll find that we love a guy who knows how to make an introduction.

BEAUTIFUL!  :cheers:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Eddie M.

Holy Smokes! :cheers:  That is really out there and I love it! :wub:  Glad to have you aboard!! :thumbsup:  :salute:
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

cthulhu77

Whacky, creative, and absolutely beautiful !!!!  Welcome to the nut farm !

LemonJello

OK, I'm digging it.   Welcome aboard!
The Corps is a department of the Navy? Yeah, the Men's department.

Rafael

Hey, René, you're nuts!!!!

That qualifies you to be a 100% certified whiffer, and I am happy you joined the ranks of (fill the blanks) minds that lurk in this place.

I love your mantisse, that's my kind of build, if you ask. Whacky, immensely imaginative, and fun to watch.

Welcome,

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Arc3371

GTX

Rene,

Welcome aboard - I'm glad you heeded my advise.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Brian da Basher

Praying Mantis is an apt name for this bird! Well done and welcome to the asylum!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Mossie

Thats a BEAST!  Not many modellers use balsa as they once did, you've got a damn good result out of it.  As others have said, welcome to the nut house, think you'll fit in well here!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

lancer

Thats one hell of an introduction Rene. Awsome looking beast you've got there. Welcome to the mad house, pull up a chair and join in the lunacy..

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

McGreig

Luft 46 meets Warhammer 40K  :o  Great model  :wub:  :thumbsup: , welcome aboard  :cheers:  

Svaz

egad! I hope that thing is on my side!

Well done!
Someday, I'll even finish a model ...

B777LR

Coool!  :wub:
However the correct forum for posting models in, would be the "Show us your current project or pic of your workbench" forum :thumbsup:

Sangamon

Hey guys

thanks a lot for your kind words and please be patient with me :banghead: . I'm totally new to this forum and I did not know where to post these pictures. Next time I will use the mentioned forum and I hope to do this soon, cause I still have quite a few such models here at home. And I think you should see them too.

Once again, thanks folks for your kind words  :cheers: and I'll be back!

keep on modeling

René
www.usns.biz