Ju-87 Stuka

Started by simmie, December 05, 2007, 06:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

The four engined 111 isn't that bad of an idea, looks pretty nice, though I'm not sure about that notch in the trailing edge, personally.

As to the long lance issue, the ships carrying them actually had the means to preload the torpedo just before launch.  This was part of the actual safety feature of the Long Lance, was that they only put the oxygen in when they were preparing to launch them.  I don't know how that unit operated, but perhaps there might be a means to do the same thing prior to air dropping the Lance.

And if I'm not mistaken, late-war 111's could actually carry some 4,000 kg or so of payload, or 6,200 pounds.  I remember comparing the stats when I considered it, and finding the 111 had a little over the capacity to sling one Lance.  I also don't recall what the Ki-67 Dragonslayer carried in that torpedo shackle the navy fitted them with, but part of me wonders if it wasn't a Type 93.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sequoiaranger

...were all variations of the Type 91. I have never heard any account of any Japanese aircraft carrying a Type 93 or even the smaller Type 97 oxygen-fueled torpedo, even as an experiment. I am relatively sure that if they could, they would.

>The four engined 111 isn't that bad of an idea, looks pretty nice, though I'm not sure about that notch in the trailing edge, personally.<

It's part of EVERY He-111, so it's in my He-211 as well!  :smiley:
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Sauragnmon

Hmm, alright, I guess it was.  It'd still be wicked to think of a standoff range capable torpedo bomber.  You either turn into the enemy fleet, and get shelled, or take the thousand pound warhead of the torpedo like a man.  Either way, I've taken the thread so far off topic of my own account...

I wasn't aware, didn't recall, the notch in the trailing edge on the 111.  Must have been one of those blank spots in my memory.  Guess it has Some beneficial effect somewhere...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

sequoiaranger

The only pic I have of the Ju-87E torpedo-bomber doesn't show the radio call signs or squadron badge.

Is it a total whif (markings?) or is THE Ju-87E replicated?  Regardless, I just LOVE that guy-riding-a-torpedo insignia, and used it on my German "Kate" (Katrina).
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Sauragnmon

From what I managed to dig up, it's apparently not a pure Whif, they did build a few, converting 87D's over to the purpose, but it never went into actual production (just like the German Carrier).  I saw a pic of it with roll and fold wings, which was pretty cool to see, though if I recall not the only German plane with Roll and Fold in the wings.  I heard from a source the Ar-196 had a bit of fold capacity in the wings too.

GTX

Some single seat Ju-87 ideas:

The G-4 (radial engined tankbuster with clear vision bubble canopy:

The Alternative D-1 - maybe if the alt scenario discussed here came off, the D-1 could either dispense with the tail gunner or even be used in civilian apps:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Sticking to the updated Ju-87 idea - maybe some were set up with retractable undercarriage in both single and 2 seat forms:

Regards,

Greg

retro_seventies

Looking very good indeed - bubble canopied fixed undercart one would make a great crop sprayer.

I've been tinkering with sketches of a jet Stuka for a while now, when i get near to the computer that has them, i'll post.  They'd go well with the twin turboprop 262s i have been thinking about too...
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Brian da Basher

Nice work on those Stukas! I particularly like the Tankbuster. It looks like it eats T-34s for breakfast!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

PanzerWulff

Quote from: GTX on July 18, 2008, 03:28:17 AM
Quote from: Mossie on July 15, 2008, 03:17:48 AM
How about a radial Greg?

How's this?

Regards,

Greg
OOOOOH that loos soooo right Looks like a future prodject to me
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Logan Hartke

Here's a little something I'm working on.

Cheers,

Logan

dragon

What's with the creativity lately? :blink:

I am shocked that I am the first one proposing a "wyvernized" STUKA (counter rotating props).
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Sauragnmon

Contraprops on a Stuka might be quite interesting.

I'm thinking a little more simple - Did the Stuka ever get the 213?  I know it used the 211, and I'm not sure if the 213 had any actual difference in size, but I recall reading there was a sizable Power to Weight difference and general performance improvement.  Retractable UC to streamline the aircraft, 213 under the hood, I think it'd at least perform rather nicely.

GTX

Quote from: Sauragnmon on April 08, 2009, 03:40:37 AM
Contraprops on a Stuka might be quite interesting.

I'm thinking a little more simple - Did the Stuka ever get the 213?  I know it used the 211, and I'm not sure if the 213 had any actual difference in size, but I recall reading there was a sizable Power to Weight difference and general performance improvement.  Retractable UC to streamline the aircraft, 213 under the hood, I think it'd at least perform rather nicely.

I have seen a photo of a Ju-87 with a Jumo 213 - will try to find it.  I think it was a trial.

Meanwhile, if you look on the first page of this thread, you will see my version.

Regards.

Greg

jcf

Quote from: apophenia on April 09, 2009, 02:16:13 PM
Glossing on GTX's work and creativity -- Ju-87D with Me-410 rear defence (going by the Hornisse, I'm guessing that the rear gunner could be squeezed in under the smaller bubble canopy).

About the Jumo 213 vs 211. The Jumo 213 was slightly longer (2.266m L) but narrower (0.777m W) than the 211 (2.203m L with shaft, 0.787m W to edge of cam boxes).

The 213 was also 200 to 400 lbs heavier, depending on version.
Stick an annular radiator out front and the machine becomes really nose heavy.

Note that the Ju 187 study specified a 213A and did not have an annular radiator.

Using an annular radiator is not driven by the choice of engine, and just because an aircraft is 213 powered does not
mean it has to have an annular radiator.

Jon