Ju-87 Stuka

Started by simmie, December 05, 2007, 06:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan Hartke

Quote from: apophenia on April 09, 2009, 04:30:02 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on April 09, 2009, 03:01:11 PM
Stick an annular radiator out front and the machine becomes really nose heavy.

So those Me-410 gun turret out back will help  :lol:

As will the retractable landing gear versus the original fixed.  It adds more weight and distributes it both in front and behind the center of gravity.  Add to that the fact that the Stuka was naturally tail-heavy in flight and I think that would be fine.  I've actually been looking at the Stuka's CoG issues a lot lately.

Cheers,

Logan

Logan Hartke

For anyone that doesn't make it over to the profile threads that often, here are my latest Stuka Frankenstein creations.

Full backstory here.

Cheers,

Logan

famvburg

I've got one in my stash along with the cowl & prop from an Airfix Lancaster for a Spanish post WWII Stuka with the Lanc's power egg, like the He 111/ CASA 2.111.

Fulcrum

The only time the sirens were used were on the wings of Ju-87 Stukas, which when diving, causes an effect on the psycological senses of allied ground troops.

(I got an idea of a dive-bombing Su-17 using those sirens)
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Weaver

Am I right in thinking there were two kinds of "screamer" used by Ju-87s?

1. The wind-driven siren on one of the undercarriage legs,

2. Cardboard "Jericho pipes" attached to the actual bombs.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sequoiaranger

From an Internet source on the Ju-87:

"B-series Stukas were usually fitted with a prop-driven siren on the front of each main gear spat, using the wail of these "Trumpets of Jericho" to terrorize enemy troops in attacks. The sirens were apparently Ernst Udet's idea. They were sometimes removed since they cut the aircraft's top speed and gave warning that it was coming, but the ugly Stuka and its banshee wail became one of the most feared symbols of Nazi power, and remains so even today, exceeded only by the swastika in its notoriety. "

I also found a person who said the sound of the sirens was like Formula 1 race cars.

After the Fall of France, most of the Stuka sirens were taken off, or you can see in pictures the nub on the landing gear, but the tiny propeller that drives the siren is missing.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Hobbes

QuoteThe only time the sirens were used were on the wings of Ju-87 Stukas

And yet that siren sound is used bloody everywhere in movies. Even a mild dive by a Cessna is accompanied by whining  :banghead:

GTX

Quote from: GTX on April 09, 2009, 12:26:30 PM
Quote from: Sauragnmon on April 08, 2009, 03:40:37 AM
Contraprops on a Stuka might be quite interesting.

I'm thinking a little more simple - Did the Stuka ever get the 213?  I know it used the 211, and I'm not sure if the 213 had any actual difference in size, but I recall reading there was a sizable Power to Weight difference and general performance improvement.  Retractable UC to streamline the aircraft, 213 under the hood, I think it'd at least perform rather nicely.

I have seen a photo of a Ju-87 with a Jumo 213 - will try to find it.  I think it was a trial.

Meanwhile, if you look on the first page of this thread, you will see my version.

Regards.

Greg

Well, it took a little while to find the photo, but here you go -  a real world Jumo 213E powered Ju-87.  It was a trial installation on a Ju87B.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Sauragnmon

Nice, shame they never went with it - the 213 could have been well fitted into the Stuka, the extra power might have not made it so slow a target.  Then again, the Germans seemed to do that with a lot of their ground attackers - the Hs-129 had similar problems because of the Gnomes clunking away under the cowlings.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

GTX

Interesting, Japan apparently received at least one Ju 87 A-1 (called a Ju 87 K-1):

Regards,

Greg

sequoiaranger

>Interesting, Japan apparently received at least one Ju 87 A-1 (called a Ju 87 K-1):<

Yes, Japan liked to keep up on "foreign" developments, and purchased examples of maybe a dozen German aircraft, including a Fw-200, He-100, He-118 and others.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

NARSES2

Quote from: GTX on June 19, 2010, 02:44:12 PM
Interesting, Japan apparently received at least one Ju 87 A-1 (called a Ju 87 K-1):

Regards,

Greg

Greg I'm getting little red x's on your most recent picture posts ??

And yes one boxing of the Special Hobby kit comes in Japanese markings

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

GTX

QuoteGreg I'm getting little red x's  on your most recent picture posts ??

Still happening?  Anyone else?

Regards,

Greg

dumaniac

Guys - love the different engines on the Ju 87.  and the He 211 looks great too.  Cheers Bernie

NARSES2

Quote from: GTX on June 20, 2010, 11:26:28 PM
QuoteGreg I'm getting little red x's  on your most recent picture posts ??

Still happening?  Anyone else?

Regards,

Greg

Unfortunately yes Greg - I'll play around with my settings and see if that helps. I opened the site via explorer rather then through my usual AOL and I can see the pics now  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.