The Other Japanese Fighters

Started by GTX, December 08, 2007, 12:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

Here's a paper project that is forthcoming: a "Double Shinden"--made from (you already guessed??) two Shindens put onto a Northrop N9M flying wing. The N9M's "cockpit" is a rearward-firing twin-gun defense position.

Can't accuse me of being "conventional", now can you?

;-)
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

jcf

Quote from: gooberliberation on May 11, 2008, 10:25:41 PM
That's a damn good looking plane.  I wonder how easy it'd be to stick DB onto a Ki-84. The Frank looks like it has a really really fat cross section up front but hey, don't know for sure till I try :wacko:

Here is a Ki-61 to Ki-84 compare.

Jon

sotoolslinger

Sranger that double Shiden is too cool  :wub:Hurry up and build that. :party:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

gooberliberation

================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

sequoiaranger

There was a carrier-borne version of the "George" (N7?), but it only reached mock-up stage. I am going to take the engine/turbo/prop off a "Rita" (don't worry, I will salvage the rest of the parts!) and add a little fuselage length ala Fw-190D. Then, the wings will be extended (From a DeHavilland four-engined light passenger transport--Heron?--that has exactly the same taper) and hinged (maybe theoretically, maybe actually--I have done this before with doll-house door hinges).

The concept is a high-altitude, fast-climbing B-29 interceptor launched from a carrier/radar-warning ship. Land-based Radar warning in Japan often did not give enough advanced notice to get fighters at B-29 height. With radar-carriers, the B-29's are spotted, and the high-altitude "Georges" are launched. If the B-29 is not encountered, the fighter returns to land on the carrier. If the B-29 is spotted, the George continues on and can intercept out at sea where interception is not expected. The increased wingspan and turbo help at high altitudes. Physically, the "new" George won't look much different from the side, but will have a much longer wingspan as seen from the top.

Anyway, I have always wanted a CARRIER-borne "George", so this should fulfill my fantasy (which this is all about, eh?)

jcf

Quote from: sequoiaranger on May 15, 2008, 05:15:53 PM
There was a carrier-borne version of the "George" (N7?), but it only reached mock-up stage. I am going to take the engine/turbo/prop off a "Rita" (don't worry, I will salvage the rest of the parts!) and add a little fuselage length ala Fw-190D. Then, the wings will be extended (From a DeHavilland four-engined light passenger transport--Heron?--that has exactly the same taper) and hinged (maybe theoretically, maybe actually--I have done this before with doll-house door hinges).

The concept is a high-altitude, fast-climbing B-29 interceptor launched from a carrier/radar-warning ship. Land-based Radar warning in Japan often did not give enough advanced notice to get fighters at B-29 height. With radar-carriers, the B-29's are spotted, and the high-altitude "Georges" are launched. If the B-29 is not encountered, the fighter returns to land on the carrier. If the B-29 is spotted, the George continues on and can intercept out at sea where interception is not expected. The increased wingspan and turbo help at high altitudes. Physically, the "new" George won't look much different from the side, but will have a much longer wingspan as seen from the top.

Anyway, I have always wanted a CARRIER-borne "George", so this should fulfill my fantasy (which this is all about, eh?)

N1K3-A Shiden Kai 2 Model 41 carrier-based version of the N1K3-J Shiden Kai 1 Model 31, Homare 21 engine moved forward six inches to overcome CG problems found in N1K2-J. The modification provided space to mount two 13.2mm Type 3 MG. Two prototypes built, no production.

N1K4-A Shiden Kai 4 Model 42 carrier-based version of the N1K3-J Shiden Kai 3 Model 32, improved NK9H-S Homare with low pressure fuel injection.
One prototype of each built in spring of 1945.

Two high alitude interceptors schemed:
N1K5-J Shiden Kai 5 Model 25 with two fuselage mounted 13.2mm Type 3 MG and four wing-mounted 20mm Type 99; 2,200hp Mitsubishi MK9A 18-cylinder radial. One prototype built, destroyed prior to completion in B-29 attack.
The other type was similar but used a Homare 44 with a mechanically-driven 3-speed supercharger.

The Nakajima G8N bomber used turbo-supercharged NK9K-L Homare engines, so aside from the turbos it was the same basic engine as the N1K, so I don't see a fuselage stretch being necessary, especially as the N1K3 stretch would probably give enough room for the turbos. The turbo installation on the J2M4 didn't require a major change in fuselage length. The 190D extension had to be done because they replaced a relatively compact radial with a much longer inline engine.

Jon

sequoiaranger

Good info. Because the actual cowl piece from the Rita is a little longer than the one that comes with the Hasegawa George I have, I am thinking the extra room on both ends of the cockpit could be used for additional fuel, armor, or equipment. The supercharger setup also adds a little weight up front. The slight addition in length puts the stabilizers a little further from the CG, helping maneuvering at high altitude as well.

The plane is still in the gestation phase, so we'll see. Thanks again for the info.

Craig Burke

ysi_maniac

That Ki-62 is a real beauty. Thanks for posting
Will die without understanding this world.

sequoiaranger

>N1K5-J Shiden Kai 5 Model 25 with two fuselage mounted 13.2mm Type 3 MG and four wing-mounted 20mm Type 99; 2,200hp Mitsubishi MK9A 18-cylinder radial. One prototype built, destroyed prior to completion in B-29 attack.
The Nakajima G8N bomber used turbo-supercharged NK9K-L Homare engines, so aside from the turbos it was the same basic engine as the N1K, so I don't see a fuselage stretch being necessary, especially as the N1K3 stretch would probably give enough room for the turbos. <

Yes, I had in mind for my N1K7-A the late-war Mitsubishi engines, MK9A or even the MK10 of roughly 2400 HP. I am presuming their engine factory went underground and was spared the bombing raids that actually impaired production and delivery. I am using the "Rita" cowlings because I like their looks, not because they had similar Homare engines in them. the Rita cowlings will do away with the George's characteristic over-and-under intakes in the cowl, and make the George look somewhat like the Republic P-47 from the front. Armament will be wing guns only, and four 30mm instead of 20mm. I may add a slightly more voluminous rudder, too.

Gary

Is there anything you guys don't fricken know?
Getting back into modeling

jcf

Quote from: Gary on May 27, 2008, 03:03:27 PM
Is there anything you guys don't fricken know?

Lots, in my case my library gets the credit.

Cheers

sequoiaranger

While looking diligently through Google for information on a proposed Japanese fighter "Jinpu", I found these TERRIFIC websites with whif models and CGI "photos":

http://www.treking-life.com/72/modellist-e.html

Scroll down to Jinpu if you want that one in particular, but there are a LOT of whifs here. 
This next one has some righteous illustrations, then about midway are some links to some other amazing whifs.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4101

One of these has the "A7K"-- a version of which will be my next whif after my current Avro Avatar—

http://www.warbirds.jp/kakuki/kyosaku/sakuki22.html

Click on photo of plane on carrier elevator.—nice series of CGI "photos"

There is a LOT of good stuff there--two examples below!!

r16

no text

[attachment deleted by admin]

jcf

Super Shiden carrier fighter

Kawanishi A8K

From a Secret Projects thread:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4802.0.html

Jon

sequoiaranger

Amazing, jon. Thanks for the info. Yes, my current "A7K Jinpu-Kai" was going to have four 30mm cannon, folding wings, and arrestor hook. Maybe I'll re-name it the A8K instead of the A7K I previously had in mind.

PS---I am at an internet cafe in Ireland right now--no telling when I'll get back to this, but I'll be back home in the States in about a week!