Saunders-Roe Princess WHIF Ideas

Started by GTX, December 08, 2007, 02:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectrikBlue

Lot of data, cutaway of the princess and  3-view drawings of the Twin Princess can be found here!

There's also a large section on the November 2008 issue of the 'Fana de l'Aviation' about the Bristol 'Brabazon' and the 'Princess'.

Regards,

EB 

PR19_Kit

Quote from: GTX on March 20, 2009, 06:06:32 PM
Some interesting viewing:

Greg,

Thanks for posting that link, even if it was almost enough to make me weep. :(

Nostalgia's not what it used to be...............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Kit, great story!  Greg & EB, thanks for the film & info!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 21, 2009, 02:13:24 AM
Quote from: GTX on March 20, 2009, 06:06:32 PM
Some interesting viewing:

Greg,

Thanks for posting that link, even if it was almost enough to make me weep. :(

Nostalgia's not what it used to be...............

Yes, I probably should have posted a warning with that one.  Here's another (click) - beware, this may result in strong emotions!!!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Daryl J.

2 things come to mind:  Japanese SAR in high viz and turboprops and a University of British Columbia research aircraft in Canadian colors.  Maple leafs, yes, just not in roundels.

Daryl J., gettin' a kick out of Greg's new 'royalty title'

GTX

Quote from: Daryl J. on March 21, 2009, 03:03:35 PM
Daryl J., gettin' a kick out of Greg's new 'royalty title'

Oh, shut up!!!

Regards,

Greg

Mossie

Yeah, it's made me chuckcle too, not sure about Greg though! ;D ;D ;D  If you make it to the SIG meet Greg, I'll promise to hold in the giggles when I get the mental images of you in a Tiara!

More snippets from that Aeroplane article.  As early as 1950 there was a proposal to re-engine the Princess with six Bristol Orions, but the engine was only in early deveopment so the proposal never progressed.  It was picked up later along with a 10ft extension to make the proposal more attractive to BOAC, but the company was commited to purely land based aicraft by this time.

There was a plan in 1958 for BOAC to buy the original three aircraft, which was headed up by former Air Vice Marshall Donald Bennet & a B.G. Halpin for use on the Rio de Janerio & Canadian Great Lakes routes.  This was abanded due to minesterial indecision & in 1960 Halpin fromed a new company, British Princess Flying Boats Ltd, to re-engine the three aircraft with RR Tynes.  This was seperate to the earlier proposal for Tyne powered landplanes & like that, came to nothing.

It seems that real world has plenty to offer for Princess whiffs.  We just need a kit!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

pyro-manic

You think Sanger or somebody would make a vacform kit if enough of us emailed them? I know CMK did that stunning Empire C flying boat recently, but there's no way I can afford that, let alone something the size of the Princess (wingspan of almost a metre in 1:72!).
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Mossie

I'm sitting in the room the room where I keep most of my models & trying to work out where a model with a 1m wingspan would go!  The room isn't even 2m wide..... :o

Even in 1/144 scale it would be a beast.  In that scale maybe Arnold at Anigrand might be up for it, although the pound/dollar rate is making his stuff much less affordable at the minute. :(

GTX

Here you go:

See here.  Just be sitting down first!

Regards,

Greg

PR19_Kit

Quote from: GTX on March 21, 2009, 11:08:16 AM
Yes, I probably should have posted a warning with that one.  Here's another (click) - beware, this may result in strong emotions!!!

Greg,

FANTASTIC! And for the first part I was there too! Watching the Princess come in over Laffan's Plain felt as if you were moving and the aircraft was standing still it was THAT huge. Like a block of flats suspended in the air.

Is there a way to save those Youtube clips to your own PC somehow?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

There used to be, but YT have changed something recently to stop it I think. I haven't worked out how to do it with their new set-up...

It's gorgeous in flight, I must say. And FAST! The noise is unique as well.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Runway ? ...

With IE and video files. Having watched the file go to tools,internet options, browsing history - settings, view files. Sort by last accessed, you're looking for a large file 10+ meg (if they haven't used a shockwave style player). Copy it somewhere convenient and view with the likes of VLC media player.

That's the rough gist.

kitnut617

There is a 1/72 scale vacuform of this kit though, I nearly bought the moulds for it a couple of years ago as the owner had them on sale.   This has a wing span of 54 inches (1.4 meters) in 1/72 scale,  I think if the guy had the time (he has started a family) he could probably make the Princess.

This kit is 1/200 and is bigger than a 1/72 Lancaster
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Gorgeous cutaway of the Princess, posted on Twitter by Burkhard Domke here: https://twitter.com/BurkhardDomke/status/1294937652937076736?s=20

I'm posting it in reduced and full size so you can drink in the detail... :wub:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones