Saab Draken WHIF Ideas

Started by Daryl J., December 10, 2007, 01:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

Grey, temporary white wrap around RAF, Norwegian deployment.

I've been trying to think of minor shape revisions to Anglicise it.   This one may get built from the 1/72 RevGerm kit.  :thumbsup:

Daryl J.

Mossie

The VTOL Hawker P.1126 pretty much resembled the Draken, except it had two cruise engines & twelve lift engines.

Hopefully this will help with some inspiration, can't wait to see it!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

cthulhu77

Don't forget, the new Hasegawa 48th version comes out in a month or so...

Arc3371

I have been thinking of a post J versin (Drake 2000? K?) with conformal tanks รก la F-16E, wingtip Sidewinders and perhaps a new engine or Gripen nose

ytown2010

hey arc and everybody. here is a draken i just whipped up:

basically, what i did is take the nose from an F-15 and the canopy/cockpit from an F-15D and trimmed to fit. the tailfin is a modified F-16 fin.

Archibald

Love this super Drakken very much  :wub:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Arc3371

Like the Super Draken as well but that coockpit makes the aircraft look a lot smaller

ytown2010

ok. here is another proposal: what if they re-engine and use GE F404s. they ditch the wing root intakes and use standard side intakes (in red), and therefore modify the wing (also in red). the nozzle is from an F/A-18. what do you think? possible?

dy031101

QuoteThe VTOL Hawker P.1126 pretty much resembled the Draken, except it had two cruise engines & twelve lift engines.
Having discussed about the similar Mirage IIIV...... I'd figure that the number of liftjets would probably have been reduced for maintainability.

Which one do you think is more likely for a navalized Draken?  CATOBAR or STOVL?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

ytown2010

CATOBAR. the draken already has a tailhook (at least that's what i think that bulge at the back bottom is), and they would not have to do much with the landing gear.

Maverick

The bulge under the tail is actually a small twin tailwheel for takeoff & landing if the aircraft over-rotated.

ytown2010

oh, THAT's what it is. it looked like a tailhook housing.

Daryl J.

Canards a la Rafale, NMF/Arctic Red/White and one has the Alaskan Rural Security Patrol.

Ogival wing tips at the double delta for a RAF Draken

Modified ground attack with the nose changed along the order of the MiG-23 ---> MiG-27 as a F-104 alternative.

Daryl J.

deathjester

Well, the Draken was designed to be 50% more advanced than any other fighter aircraft in the world when it came out, and it still looks more advanced than a lot of later birds!  I think the only way to really up date the plane is to fit new avionics + glass cockpit, and a new engine - it is an interceptor, so why not an Olympus 593 (over 37,000 lbs thrust with reheat!)  But would it fit??

Weaver

1. Rolls Royce's Rb.106 isn't cancelled, so it goes into the Draken (it was interchangeable with an Avon).

2. Intakes changed for F-105-style variable ones.

3. With all this extra power, the front end can be "Sea-Harrierised", i.e raise the cockpit floor, add a bubble canopy and a bigger radome.

4. Rather than fit a bigger fin to compensate for the side area of 3., fit twin fin units in-between the inner and outer wing panels. The fins would extend beneath the wing as far as possible and the rudders would have highly-swept trailing edges and hinge lines, the idea being to retain directional stability/control at high AoA.

5. Sell them to somebody who'll actually use them.......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones