Saab Draken WHIF Ideas

Started by Daryl J., December 10, 2007, 01:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r16

wasn't it the only time when the drug dealers in Firebirds had a couple the Draken saw action ?

ysi_maniac

Quote from: ytown2010 on December 10, 2007, 09:29:35 PM
hey arc and everybody. here is a draken i just whipped up:

basically, what i did is take the nose from an F-15 and the canopy/cockpit from an F-15D and trimmed to fit. the tailfin is a modified F-16 fin.

High quality job indeed :wub: :thumbsup: :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

Weaver

Quote from: r16 on April 28, 2008, 12:39:09 AM
wasn't it the only time when the drug dealers in Firebirds had a couple the Draken saw action ?

Uh-huh: can't remember the title of the film, but it was drug-dealer's Draken again the good guys' Apaches: I was rooting for the Draken.....

That Draken, by the way, is (or was) owned by a guy called Mr. Merzian, who runs a couple of interesting businesses. One does flight test drop work for aerospace companies (dropping dummy ordinance off old Skyhawks and filming it, basically), and his other one restores wooden structures. These two came together beautifully when he got a call from the Swedish airforce museum, asking for help in restoring their Mosquito. Funnily enough, he'd been looking around for a supersonic test ship, so by the end of the day, they'd cut a deal..... (why don't deals like that drop into my lap  :unsure:)

Getting the Draken certified in the States was a serious nightmare, but he managed it and it ended up earning it's keep as a test-ship and as an occasional movie star, and in-between times being his personal transport... (where's a green smiley when you need one?)

(All based on a article I read quite a few years ago, so don't shoot me if things have changed since, okay?)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

Here's another outfit in the states using Drakens for flight testing:

http://www.flightresearch.com/Aircraft/Draken.htm

Here's a good article about Drakens, which has a plan view of the never-built JA-35 advanced version, with bigger outer wings and small canards:

http://www.vectorsite.net/avj35.html

Lastly, the maneuver in that video is called a "superstall": something to do with the aircraft "settling" between the stall points of the inner and outer wings. There's a damned good article about this somewhere on the web, written IIRC, by an instructor at the US test pilot's school, but I can't find it to save my life..... :banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Archibald

Drakkens rocks! I likethe upgrade variant at Goebels website  :wub:

Hmmm... a Canadian variant instead of CF-104.
J-79, small canards, dogtooth, a cockpit similar to the Draken 2000 show above, fly-by-wire system salvaged from the CF-105 Arrow...

It would really make an interesting alt-history...
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

GTX

QuoteIt would really make an interesting alt-history...

Maybe there is already one in draft :rolleyes:...

Profiles anyone???  PM me please.

Regards,

Greg

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on April 28, 2008, 08:39:04 PM

Here's a good article about Drakens, which has a plan view of the never-built JA-35 advanced version, with bigger outer wings and small canards:

http://www.vectorsite.net/avj35.html

PMSL - just realised that's GTX aka Mr. Goebel's own website  ;D ;D :banghead:
knew I'd seen the name before....

Ahem - nice website Greg: been looking at it for years...... I'm new here: does it show?

- Indiana Jones

Archibald

Posting here for 27 months and 5000+ posts and I just understand that
GTX = Goebel = Air vectors
  :drink: :drink:
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

QuoteAhem - nice website Greg: been looking at it for years......

can't agree more
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

ysi_maniac

Same as Archie, in everything :banghead: :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

GTX

Weaver

Hang on with the  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:, I now suspect I've read something the wrong way and got the wrong end of the stick here...

- Indiana Jones

Archibald

Ok, lets ask the question clearly.
GTX, are you the same person as Craig Goebel, author of Air Vectors (which is, btw, a fascinating website) ?

If the answer is "no" forget all the above...

GTX

The answer is no!

;D :lol:

Regards,

Greg

Weaver

Okay, I will be changing my name to "Gaff" just as soon as I can figure out how to work this brain thingy.....

Sorry Greg
Sorry ysi_maniac
Sorry Archibald
Sorry Everyone

- Indiana Jones