Saab Draken WHIF Ideas

Started by Daryl J., December 10, 2007, 01:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

If the official brochure is anything to go by, David and Filip also had provissions for the centerline store.  I don't think there's space to carry on all three at once but the structure, plumbing, and wiring are there.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Arc3371 on August 24, 2008, 05:48:20 PM
Any interesting (and not to serious) discussion about "Super Draken", it is in Swedish but has nice pics

http://forum.soldf.com/index.php?showtopic=36581

Picture from above

Oh, this was posted when I was on holidays. Love it!
Will die without understanding this world.

GTX

Playing around and inspired by the recent posting of the Swedish Carrier with Naval Draken, I wondered how to make a Draken Carrier suitable and came up with this (Note practicality played no part in this):

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

GTX

Along with other nations (the USA and USSR being the most prominent), Sweden investigated the benefits of FSW wings in the '80s using a modified Draken:

Regards,

Greg

sotoolslinger

Dangit Greg them 1/48 Drakens cost like 50 bucks now I gotta buy 2 more :banghead:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Mossie

I'm not sure if I love or hate that swinger!   :wub: >:( :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Daryl J.

I've wondered what a so-called Super Draken would look like, built in the spirit of the Mitsubishi F-2A/F-16A.

Daryl J.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: sotoolslinger on November 02, 2008, 02:14:23 AM
Dangit Greg them 1/48 Drakens cost like 50 bucks now I gotta buy 2 more :banghead:

My thoughts exactly! :thumbsup: good thing I build 1/72. :lol:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

GTX

Quote from: sotoolslinger on November 02, 2008, 02:14:23 AM

How many more?

Regards,

Greg

GTX

You will need at least 2 for this Super Draken:

With conventional alongside for comparison:

regards,

Greg

Weaver

Quote from: GTX on November 01, 2008, 09:33:18 PM
Playing around and inspired by the recent posting of the Swedish Carrier with Naval Draken, I wondered how to make a Draken Carrier suitable and came up with this (Note practicality played no part in this):

Regards,

Greg

Funny you should do that - I've been looking thoughtfully at a spare 1/72nd Draken and various 1/144th or 1/100th swingers....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Thought I'd be in!  How to make an unusual aircraft look quite ordinary:

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ysi_maniac

^^^^ Absolutely gorgeous!

I have been thinking in this kind of modification but with more modern wings and tail plane: those of Mirage F1 :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

Mossie

I went with F-105 style wings because it was largely contemporary to the Draken & the intakes extended into the wing in a similar way.  I kind of intended it at as a natural follow on from the Lansen.

Hmm, I tried looking at putting a Mirage F1 wing on the Draken but ran into trouble.  The problem is that the intakes are pretty much integral to the fuselage on the F1, but are bolted onto the fuselage on the Draken.  If you wanted to put a more modern high-wing on the Draken, maybe the Jaguar & it's intakes would be easier, especially from a modelling point of view?