Request For Help.....

Started by Mossie, December 12, 2007, 03:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

It's no big secret that I'm hopeless at finishing kits, & not so good at starting them them either.  In the time I've been posting on this site (year & a half-ish) I've started a few, but finished exactly 0 kits.  I've got about six or seven projects that have been started in that time.  I've bitten of more than I can chew on occasion, but I've also tried to do a couple of 'quick' builds that have turned out nothing like.  I'm in danger of giving modelling up, I'm just not able to focus.  So I'm going to give that quick build at least one more try.

Something needs to change, so I'm taking three approaches with this one that I've not done before, at least not properlly.

1. Methodical Approach.  I've tried this before, but I always seem to end up going about builds in a hap-hazzard way.  Things like filling gaps, realising I've got some left but slapping on paint anyway, only to have to sand, fill then paint again. This time I intend to make sure I finish one part of the build before I go onto the next.

2. Acrylic paints.  I've just bought up a load of Tamiya paints from my local model shop.  I've always used enamels up to now, which I'm happy with except drying takes ages, I often can only get one coat on in an evening.  Even if I lose focus, at least with acrylics I can get more done when I've got my head down.

3 Ask for help.  This is where you guys come in.  I've started several builds & not posted about them, because I wanted to startle you all & post something on the lines 'Feck me, Mossie, finished a kit!'.  It hasn't worked.  So maybe if I've got people giving me a nudge I can find the focus & energy were I haven't before.  Your a good bunch on here, I'm there'll be a few of you willing to give me a kick up the backside!

Well here goes nothing! :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

Thanks!

Simon
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Right, first request.  I've identified several kits in my stash that could be done as quick builds, some more than others.  I've had ideas for many of them, but they tend to require scratch building or messing about.  I want something that's nothing more than putting a new scheme on & maybe some different weapons.

Here's the list:

1/144
Dragon A-6
Dragon A-10
Dragon F-14
Dragon F/A-18
Revell Hunter
Revell Hawkeye

1/72
Airfix:
Dominie
MiG-15
Gnat
Sea King
Bloodhound SAM
Grumman Duck
Westland Lynx
AH-1T Sea Cobra
Scorpion Tank
Chieftain Tank
Kopro:
MiG-19/Shenyang F-6 x2

1/48
Airfix Viggen
Airfix Hawk
Tamiya Kettenkrad

I lack a lot of decals (especially 1/144) so I may need to scrounge some in the Swap Shop!

Okay, fire away ideas!!! :tank:  
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Brian da Basher

For what its' worth, my advice is simple:

Just finish something!

Don't worry about making a flawless model or a contest winner and don't be intimidated by the work of others. Everyone gets better over time and we all started somewhere. Personally, I find I learn something from modellers of every skill level.

Just put a kit together to get it done. Afterwards, you can look at it critically and see where you can improve. Even when looking at it from that perspective, don't be to harsh and allow yourself to take small steps towards getting better.

Remember this is a hobby and it's supposed to be fun!

Acrylic paints should be helpful in cutting the time it takes to finish a model. As a kid, all I had were enamels, and I always hated how long it took them to dry and how difficult the clean-up was. You can achieve similar results with acrylics and with a lot less hassle.

As for the kits you've posted, I'd recommend smaller scales. Personally, I find detailing to be the most time-consuming and least enjoyable part of a project. In smaller scales, you need to do a lot less detail work to have a presentable model. If you have trouble finding 1/144 scale markings, try something with no markings or maybe Spanish Republican markings which are easily painted, even by hand with a brush and some tape. How about doing that Hunter in a simple Green over Light Blue or Gray scheme with Republican markings? I'd keep the paint scheme simple to help speed things along.

Keep plugging away Simon! I'd hate to see you give up on the hobby.

Brian da Basher

HOG

Hi Mossie
I know the feeling. I`ve got loads of bits stuck together with absolutely no intention of doing anything more with them, but the main thing here is NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY!
Today there a dead loss. Tomorrow or the day after they seem to become things that are the most important bits of poly in your life and NEED to be completed (or at least until the next thing that grabs your attention comes along).

As for a build give a 1:144 a go. Generally there quick builds, don`t convert just stick together whats in the box. In this small scale even filling and sandings not that important, just build it paint it stick some stickers on and admire while reaching for the next one. When you`ve built a few (and posted them here) look at what you`ve got and where you would like to improve and go for it.
As to acrylic paints, Tamiya especially as I`ve never used any others, I thin mine with cellulose thinner, in fact I use this on enamel as well, as I find I can airbrush a four colour freehand scheme in an evening, as they dry so fast. If your brush painting, add a little to the paint to help it flow better, but don`t overwork it as it dries really quick. Also mix up the paint and thinners outside of the main pot as it can dry up the paint in a sealed pot or at least make it unusable.
But the main thing is as Brian De B says
"Remember this is a hobby and it's supposed to be fun!"

:dalek:
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Captain Canada

Slap together that Dominie...it basically falls together and looks quite good. I'd like to see it in WWII camo, like a Spit...with D-day stripes as an Anniversary bird. Now get to it !

:thumbsup:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AeroplaneDriver

I have a hard time finishing a kit if I can't finish it quickly.  For this reason I tend to only build when I know I can set aside enough time to finish a build, whether it is a 1-day Airfix Gnat or RoG 1/144 build, or the 4-7 evenings I usually take for a more complicated project.  I will likely never make one of those stunning, super-detailed models featured in magazines, simply because I lose interest if a project drags on.

Switching to acrylics has helped me in this area too.  I cant imagine going back to enamels.  I also love working with the Tamiya laquer spray cans.  The paint dries quickly and goes on beautifully.  It makes a nice looking finish a relatively quick affair.

My advice (which is probably worth what you're paying for it!) would be to pick one of the easy projects you've identified and (family and work commitments allowing) just lose yourself in it for a day or two.  The Airfix Gnat can go together nicely in a day.  You cold try it as an RAF point defence fighter, like the later Hawk, in air defence gray with a pair of Sidewinders, or use the MiG decals to make an RAF Aggressor Gnat.

Once you finish it, post it, and get a little feedback you'll be motivated for the next build.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

BlackOps

Mossie, I've got way to many "in progress" builds right now so I know exactly what you mean, I'd look over the kits and see which looks the easiest and go to it, it will easy to come up with a paint scheme.

try not to get distracted by new ideas, just write them down for later. One day I was tempted to build the cockpits in all of my kits just so I wouldn't have to mess with them when I was ready to build the kits  :lol:

I just started a 1/72 hover tank so I could knock something out quick and get my self headed in the right direction again. Of course on another note, I just started another project that's going to be a real bugger....  :dum:  

Maybe I shouldn't be giving advice  :wacko:  
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Daryl J.

Mossie,

That is precisely why I am doing a Testor's Travel Air Mystery Ship for the Group Build.   It is only one of many ideas, but is the sole focus of my build.   Yes, I hope to finish, but only work on it when I'm in the mood to build.  Kids, job, The Missus who's quite a good lady, the dogs, errands....they all come first as they well should.  

And I thoroughly enjoy seeing the work of others, gathering historical facts and tidbits, and especially here, letting the mind go a bit and create.

For me it's not so much about finishing, it's about the fun on the way.    Yes, I have my share of IPMS ribbons, but to me they are coloured pieces of cloth.   The process getting there was usually what was enjoyable.   Sharing in others projects, competions, and hopes was even better....or rather ''is'' even better.

And, btw, the Avro CF-105 arrived today, and I'm very happy to have it thanks in part to your contribution to this board.   (How in the world do I scratchbuild drop tanks *that* size!??)   :party:  :party:  :party:

One guy in our club really burned out.  Start after Start after Start; poor building, attempts at new things, etc. etc.   Then he quit altogether save for club meetings.  Then.....he built a simple 1/72 monochrome armor piece.   He had perhaps 3 hours into the entire project and it relit his enthusiasm.    His 1/48 Tamiya armor won a prize under the wings of the Spruce Goose last September.   His Airfix Lancaster is gorgeous. etc. etc.  

Just like BdB says:  simply finish something.   Whether good, bad, or ugly is irrelevant. :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

We have a saying in dentistry:  If you're not making mistakes, you're not doing dentistry.   The same is true for modeling yes?  

HTH,
Daryl  J., recently back on ARC after a 6-7 month break....just because :drink:

philp

Mossie,
I feel your pain.  Most of what I finally get done is usually a Review build for IPMS ( and I still have a few of them to finish off).

You mentioned that you have several builds part way done.  Why not pick one of those and finish it (less to do since you started it already).

Otherwise, I think that Kettengrad would be a quick one.  How about doing it up in a dirt bike racing scheme.  That would make people look twice.

Otherwise, as stated above, its just a hobby.

Oh, and BlackOps,
What are you using for that Hovertank?  I have been pushing around a build idea and have a couple of things that may work as hulls but just can't find the right shape for the turret (and scratchbuilding is not much of an option for me).
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

AeroplaneDriver

QuoteWe have a saying in dentistry:  If you're not making mistakes, you're not doing dentistry.
How comforting.... :o  :o  :o  
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

BlackOps

QuoteOh, and BlackOps,
What are you using for that Hovertank?  I have been pushing around a build idea and have a couple of things that may work as hulls but just can't find the right shape for the turret (and scratchbuilding is not much of an option for me).
Philip, I am using 1/72 Italeri Merkava I.  

I will post a thread in the workbench section so I don't hi-jack this thread ;)  
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Daryl J.

QuoteHow comforting....   

It is rarely clinically significant.  :thumbsup:    We're particular enough of a profession that most things we title ''mistakes'' are high quality work and are far beyond what is considered to be clinically acceptable.  

IE:  acceptable widget---people are happy
better widget---people are happy
awesome widget---people are happy.

A dentist, however, would view the acceptable widget as a mistake.   It's that anal-retentive thing.......... :thumbsup:

...........and now back to regular programming.........

Daryl J.

noxioux

Finishing one of those will bust that "cherry", and then the others will likely follow.

I often have many projects just at that stage where the excitement has worn off, and sometimes I have to just put it all away, and work on finishing one project at a time before moving on to the next.

lancer

QuoteAirfix Gnat can go together nicely in a day.  You cold try it as an RAF point defence fighter, like the later Hawk, in air defence gray with a pair of Sidewinders, or use the MiG decals to make an RAF Aggressor Gnat.

Once you finish it, post it, and get a little feedback you'll be motivated for the next build.
Dammit!!! quit nicking my ideas will ya.... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Seriously though, I am having a hard time finishing anythig at the moment. Finding the time is hard enough at the moment and then finishing them is also a real chore now for some reason. I still have my Revell S boat to complete  4 months after I started it and the An124 I started last year - alright, there were different reasons for not finishng that one, but it will be finished for this years show. Hopefully over the christmas period, I'll be able to get back into the swing of things again. Like Mossie I've come close to slinging the whole lot in because of it.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Gary

Great advice from all Mossie, but it was Brian's advice that helped me some time back. I was exactly like you. I had dozens of projects on the go and advoce came to just finish something, anything. I don't know if it was Brian's voice, a member of the this group or one of my chums at my local club. But I did. And it worked.

I look here for inspiration but not intimidation. The fantastic burst of profile drawings has been so great for this. The gang here are fantastic.

I know this may sound strange from someone who hasn't been around in a while, but life got in the way for me, my divorce, moving, losing my model space and having everything in boxes, starting life over and screwing everything in sight, getting sick and loosing my ability to work, falling deeply in love, and now, she, is encouraging me to build and write.

I did one trick that some here may recall and I take total credit for starting the quick build trend. Those who have been here for a while may remember this. I had a day off and sat down with a Dragon Mig 15 and challenged myself online to build it in 8 hours. I posted progress shots at one hour intervals or with significant updates and srayed the thing with a rattle can of quick dry silver. As I recall, I didn't need the 8 hours and the project didn't suck too greatly. This lead to a series of quick build challenges and many of the crew here participated brilliantly.

The trick was, once I began, I was committed to it. I couldn't stop less my friends here think I was a quitter and frankly, like you, I have dozens of partially built projects. Infact, I think Baz sponsored a get it done build for projects started for builds, not completed. I didn't get mine done.

On that note, you could even sponsor a build. I used that a few times to get my arce in gear. I created a build that was easy, tossed a few kits from the stash as prizes, and poof, I had to compete in my own build! Worked like a charm! For one I did this with, I finished three kits! If you go this way mate, I promise you I will participate right along with you!

Just get one done, something simple, right out of the box, simple paint scheme, fun markings, don't worry about the complicated issues of extra detailing and stand back and wait for this fantastic group of guys to stop cheering for you so that you can say thanks.

Cheers
Gary P
Getting back into modeling