Blackops Workbench As Of 12-12-07

Started by BlackOps, December 12, 2007, 08:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackOps

Well I decided to get back into the swing of things with a quick project, a small 1/72 hover tank. I've also decided I'd better finish something I already had partially completed so I picked my sci-fi fighter because it will take the least amount of work to finish it. Then I had to go and do something stupid and start something that's going to be a bugger but very cool if I can pull it off.

A close up of the heavy cruiser so far

I started with a Dragon Models 1/350 ohio class submarine as my base and the nose off of the USS Arizona. I'm going for the feel of the ship in the photo but it won't be exact. Just to cool of an idea not to try!  :dum:

The Hover tank is an Italeri 1/72 Merkava I, it has a nice futuristic look to it to start, not sure how I'm going to do the hover skirts yet, but they will be built up where the wheels would be.

I've scratch built a new barrel out of styrene sheet to change things up a bit. The grey blob is the boot that seals the barrel connection. It blends into the sculpted part of the kit better than the photos show, hopefully after I get a coat of paint on it you will see the details better.

And last but not least my space fighter has been revised a bit, I moved the tailfins out further on the wings and straightened them out. They used to sit where the raw spots behind the fueslage are.

It's kinda nice getting some time to play again :)

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

HOG

Hi Blackie,

NICE STUFF!
With regards to the skirts on your hover tank, I used a long sausage shaped ballon once, inflated to size and covered with tissue and PVA/water mix. When it`s dried bust the ballon with a pin and cut the shapes to fit the model.
Its simple and very easy if you say it quick :D

:dalek:  
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

noxioux

The flying ship is going to rock.  Have you read "The Lost Continent" by Edgar Rice Burroughs?  The main charachter is the captain of an "aero submarine" who, of course, gets into a wild adventure.  But it sure makes the whiff juices run. . .

philp

Nice stuff BlackOps and I can't wait to see how they turn out.

One of our clubmembers did the same thing on the hovertank only he used the old 35th scale Tamiya kit.  He armed his with a tri barrel but I don't remember how he did the hover piece.

Seen a few others done more on a grav tank type vehicle.  One guy was really adept at using tank parts with other stuff.  One of his vehicles used the fuselage from the old Revell 1/32nd scale Me-110.  He put half on one side and half on the other, upside down of course.  The final product just looked cool.

I have a few old casserole dishes (at least, I think thats what they are).  2 of them fit top to top and look like a tank with a lower skirt.  I also have a deeper one that would look kind of like the Nutrocker from SF3D only more rectangular.  My problem has been coming up with a turret that would fit them and not look off sized.  Figured a Hovertank would be kind of large to accommodate a nuclear engine or something (aka Hammers Slammers).  The dishes would be about the size of 3 Abrams hulls.  Also toyed with what kind of weapons to mount.  Kind of like the Tron tank with the main gun off to one side.  Then maybe some sort of secondary weapon and some AA defense (hmmm... missiles, tri barrel...).  Then you got to have some type of cool camo.  the one thing I didn't like about Hammers tanks were they were Dinochrome colored (sounds too shiny).

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

nev

I dig that flying sub thingy, very cool  B)  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

RP1

Hovertanks are always cool - with the new skirts the latest Challenger 2's look like hovertanks anyway!

RE:  Flying submarine battleship.  O M F G.  Where does the reference image come from?

RP1
"Just your standard-issue big gun."
- Batou, Ghost in the Shell

RP1 dot net
My Facebook

ysi_maniac

:o  :o  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

BlackOps

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Brian da Basher

Yowsa that's just too cool Jeff! That heavy cruiser is gong to be amazing when you get it built! I give you a lot of credit for diving into it! Of course, I'll be terribly impatient to see your progress.

This gives me an excuse to use the new smiley too:
:jawdrop:
Brian da Basher

Sisko

Ha!!!!! I am watching the Last Exile in DVD and you go and do this. :D

Talk about inspirational stuff. I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Mossie

Wow, that flying-battleship-sub-airship thingamy!!!!  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

Keep us posted on all of them, but especially that one!!!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Just realised, we've got this  :jawdrop: smilie now.  Very appropriate!  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

John Howling Mouse

Yep, this thread definitely gets adding to the "check often" list.'
My favorite is actually the starfighter------sleek!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

lancer

YOu've got some damm fine looking builds there Blackops. Really looking forward to seeing the Flying heavy cruiser progress as well as you little space fighter, that little beastie looks amazing.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die