Oddball Interceptors

Started by dy031101, December 17, 2007, 12:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

I'd start with B-58, but hey, might as well make it a convenient place for others to share non-B-58 ideas as well...... and perhaps the topics of mixed-powered interceptors might be brought up in the future when my thoughts on them become less fragmented.

I was starting from AN/ASG-18 and AIM-47 for converting Western supersonic bombers into high speed, high alttitude interceptor like Tu-128M or the fine Blinder interceptor model McGreig built.

Adopting the weapons pod for AIM-47 carriage was a simple enough idea.  On to the fire control system.

Then I read from the web that a B-58 was used to test AN/ASG-18 and AIM-47...... I then googled for the test machine, nicknamed "Snoopy"...... found it here.

Looking at the over-lengthened (IMHO) nose, I began to wonder this question:

Was the installation done simply because it was expedient to do it that way?  Would it have been possible to avoid lengthening the nose by maybe re-arranging some internal component in the nose/forward fuselage (like the refuelling receptable) or displacing them somewhere else?  Or would a more compact radar really be needed?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Maverick

I seem to recall that an interceptor version of the B-58 was planned amongst others early in its development.

Archibald

Look at Joe Baughers home page - there's snippets of informations on B-58s fighters derivatives, aparently for the ADC...  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

dy031101

QuoteLook at Joe Baughers home page - there's snippets of informations on B-58s fighters derivatives, aparently for the ADC...
Couldn't find any- can you point out the specific page?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Mossie

There was an interceptor variant of the Canberra planned too.  Can't remember the exact designation without flicking through BSP, but it would have carried a pair of Firestreak or Red Top on pylons hanging down from the wingtips.

Slightly OT, mentioning the Hustler, I've wondered about a scalorama B-58 interceptor.  Take a 1/72 Hustler & turn it into a 1/48 fighter, with various mods.  It would still be about 19m long in 1/48, a reasonable sized interceptor, although smaller than the F-106.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Archibald

QuoteThere was an interceptor variant of the Canberra planned too.  Can't remember the exact designation without flicking through BSP, but it would have carried a pair of Firestreak or Red Top on pylons hanging down from the wingtips.

Slightly OT, mentioning the Hustler, I've wondered about a scalorama B-58 interceptor.  Take a 1/72 Hustler & turn it into a 1/48 fighter, with various mods.  It would still be about 19m long in 1/48, a reasonable sized interceptor, although smaller than the F-106.
Canberra mk.12 with Red Deans - they found that the subsonic testbed was more efficient than the supersonic interceptor planned around the missile! It was circa 1958...

Joe baugher page on the B-58 http://home.att.net/~jbaugher2/b58.html

voila...  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

elmayerle

The various proposed interceptor drivatives of the Vigilante - most known being the NAR-349 3-engined one.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Shasper

On the B-58 note, why not ditch that big droptank/weaps pod & go with a bunch of palleted AIM-47/54s with a smaller, fuel only tank?

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

jcf

'English Electric Aircraft and their Predecessors' lists the P.23 as a variant of the Lightning.
No further details.

Jon

retro_seventies

So many wonderful ideas....

Thinking along the canberra missileer vain...a soviet version based on the il-28 beagle?  (Or just a version of the B-57 with radar and BVR AAMs?)

....or an f-111b style su-24 fencer?  Just smoosh a foxbat radar and missiles on there and you're away - based on soviet carriers AND with regular interceptor units?

Some tweaks to an F-105 to make it into an interceptor?  It is an "F"-105 after all, not a B or an A.

YUM.

Lots of fun things here, all would look good alongside a Mirage IV heavy interceptor!

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

jcf

B-47 seems an obvious candidate, armed with a bellyful of rail-mounted Falcons ala the 102 and 106.

Jon

Iranian F-14A

Tu-22M Backfire armed with AA-9 Amos and possibly AA-10s and -12s.

I think I remember seeing a pic of a B-1 with weapons around the front that included the Phoenix.

I also remember reading when the Tu-128 Fiddler was getting ready to get retired,there was a plan to use the Tu-22 Blinder as a replacement,although,given the age of the Blinder itself,I'm thinking the Backfire would have made more sense.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever-1984
Current projects:
BAe EAP
OH-58F Kiowa Warrior
S-70C Civilian Hawk
HAL Light Combat Helicopter
S-64 Skycrane Firefighter

Chris707

I was reading a snippet in an old RAF Flying Review (early 1960s) vintage over a plan to put Sidewinders on ferret Stratojets to provide some self-protection against MiGs; certainly this was possible, given the reported downing of a Chinese fighter by a P-3, but it would have to be a surprise shot against a fighter that had streaked by after a rearward attack; front-quarter shots would be nigh-impossible with first generation AIM-9s, and its hard to conceive a maneuvering kill..

Chris

http://www.dataviewbooks.com/what-if.html

Chris707

Additionally, SRAM was *considered* as a strategic AAM to take out Soviet AWACS, so you could have an AAM_armed B-52..of sorts...

Mossie

Reminds me, not an interceptor, but Nimrod is regularly fitted with sidewinders for self defence & often gets the title of 'the world's largest fighter'.  It could be an interceptor, there's plenty of room for an air interception radar & it could house all sorts of AAM's in the weapons bay.  Even a very long range missile like the AIM-54 could be carried without the aerodynamic penalties of conventional fighters.  I guess that could be said for any aircraft with a weapons bay.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.