Folland Gnat WHIF Ideas

Started by Mossie, December 20, 2007, 03:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 24, 2012, 04:03:31 AM
You could always fit longer wings.......  ;D

Are Spackman International prepared to provide Unobtainium spar components to aid the manufacture of such wings?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on September 24, 2012, 08:44:07 AM
Are Spackman International prepared to provide Unobtainium spar components to aid the manufacture of such wings?

Er........... we may have a bit of a problem there as we still can't find where the lode has moved to and the Russians aren't being at all co-operative in our efforts to find it.  :banghead:

We could do you a good deal on ex-WWII Mosquito spruce-balsa spars though? We've come across a goodly supply 'recovered' from an old hangar at Karachi Airport quite recently....  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 24, 2012, 09:40:57 AM
Quote from: Rheged on September 24, 2012, 08:44:07 AM

Er........... we may have a bit of a problem there as we still can't find where the lode has moved to and the Russians aren't being at all co-operative in our efforts to find it.  :banghead:

We could do you a good deal on ex-WWII Mosquito spruce-balsa spars though? We've come across a goodly supply 'recovered' from an old hangar at Karachi Airport quite recently....  ;)

A  Gnat with  long folding wings sounds rather interesting,  but I'd like to  have some degree of control over how and when the folding actually happens. 
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on September 24, 2012, 10:13:19 AM

A  Gnat with  long folding wings sounds rather interesting,  but I'd like to  have some degree of control over how and when the folding actually happens. 

;D ;D ;D

The Gnat would have made an interesting "fighter" for the RAuxAF to play with if they had not been stood down. Relatively cheap way to keep a pool of pilots available
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 25, 2012, 12:49:55 AM
Quote from: Rheged on September 24, 2012, 10:13:19 AM

;D ;D ;D

The Gnat would have made an interesting "fighter" for the RAuxAF to play with if they had not been stood down. Relatively cheap way to keep a pool of pilots available

A bit like this then ;)

;D
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

coolpop6307

The drawing of the vulcan with the gnats makes me think you could put two under a B-52 for parasite fighters

Thanks
   Joshua
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

rickshaw

This may interest those who have built or are planning to build a "Sea Gnat" model (from Secret Projects board):

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

DarrenP2

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on October 16, 2016, 09:24:10 PM

This may interest those who have built or are planning to build a "Sea Gnat" model (from Secret Projects board):

The pics don't show to non-SP members.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 17, 2016, 09:08:10 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on October 16, 2016, 09:24:10 PM

The pics don't show to non-SP members.

OK, try now...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Perfect now, and very interesting, thanks.  :thumbsup:

I'm amazed Folland didn't produce a 'technology demonstrator' of that idea.

Regards
Kit

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Snowtrooper

Quote from: TsrJoe on June 23, 2017, 05:57:20 AM
http://profprodyutdas.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/a-cat-amongst-pigeons-indian-concept-of.html?m=1
The dear Professor also provides the bill of materials for whiffing one! :thumbsup:
QuoteMy ideal Light Fighter would be a twin engine having the F 86 Sabre's pilot's visibility with the MiG 17 wing (AR 4!) modified to have the MiG 19's wing structural stiffness, maybe the Su 7s wing section with its rounded L.E. which gave it superb low level manoeuvrability, the Gnat's forward fuselage married to a twin engine rear fuselage from the MiG 19 and a "flak vierling" gun layout a la HF 24 all somehow blended with something of the Hunter's grace and immense strength.
Though I somewhat disagree with him about Vietnam War and Israeli-Arab wars of the 60's and 70's being relevant data regarding BVR combat of today (cf. early Sparrows had a kill rate of less than 10%, but by Gulf war the M2 version scored over 70% kill rate, and that was with 1980's tech).

perttime

It has been a couple of years, at least, since I last stood next to a Gnat. This pic highlighted again that it is pretty small:

You cannot view this attachment.

Source: Folland Gnat Suomen ilmavoimissa – in Finnish Air Force by Jyrki Laukkanen & Kyösti Partonen.
https://www.koalakustannus.fi/p/folland-gnat-suomen-ilmavoimissa-in-finnish-air-force-jyrki-laukkanen-ja-kyosti-partonen