Folland Gnat WHIF Ideas

Started by Mossie, December 20, 2007, 03:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolpop6307

Thread revive  ;D What about an attack version of it, kinda like the a-10's little brother.
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

coolpop6307

Here is a crude version of what I mean. Just put a 20mm vulcan up there and make it where it can carry to bombs ETC.

Thanks
  Joshua
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

rickshaw

I assume the pilot will be issued with Aspirin as standard?  ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Steel Penguin

or let the speed metal fans fly em, theyll enjoy the beat.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Weaver

Hope there's a safety interlock between the gun-firing circuit and the ejection seat circuit..... :o
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

coolpop6307

Quote from: rickshaw on September 14, 2012, 06:38:28 PM

Yes most likely he would need two... ahh heck just give a bottle  :lol:

Quote from: Weaver on September 15, 2012, 09:17:36 AM
Hope there's a safety interlock between the gun-firing circuit and the ejection seat circuit..... :o

I think the ejection would end up firing down instead of up because if you look the gun is in the way.
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

JayBee

IMHO the gun unit would be hinged at the rear so that when the seat went up, it was attached to the front of the gun unit, so the gun unit would be saved in the ejection along with the pilot. This is recycling at it's best. Simples  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Rheged

Quote from: coolpop6307 on September 16, 2012, 06:02:35 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on September 14, 2012, 06:38:28 PM

Yes most likely he would need two... ahh heck just give a bottle  :lol:

One  acoustically treated asprin for each ear, perhaps?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

pyro-manic

A slighty less headache-inducing fit would be an Oerlikon KCA (or Mauser BK-27 perhaps) in a centreline mount? Coupled with a pair of Matra rocket pods underwing.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

coolpop6307

Other than the ground attack gnat, what about a drone one?
  Thanks
    Joshua
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

Mossie

There's a proposed gun pack that Aircav posted on page 2.  They had two Browning .50's in a converted slipper tank.  I guess you could substitute a single cannon for the pair of MG's, giving two in total.  Or you could have an assymetric load, cannon on one wing, slipper tank on the other?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on September 18, 2012, 02:01:45 AM
There's a proposed gun pack that Aircav posted on page 2.  They had two Browning .50's in a converted slipper tank.  I guess you could substitute a single cannon for the pair of MG's, giving two in total.  Or you could have an assymetric load, cannon on one wing, slipper tank on the other?

And an enlarged rudder presumably?  :wacko:

There's a DEFA pod with a 30mm cannon , but it might be a bit on the long side for a Gnat. One thing that might work would be to hang a cannon on each inner pylon and an ammo box on each outer pylon (all in aerodynamic pods, of course), with an aerodynamically faired ammo feed between the two.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

It'd make re-arming quicker but the load is a bit small on the gnat for it to be an effective ground attack aircraft.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

Might work if you based it on later marks, they would have been able to carry more.  The Finnish Gnats had a couple of extra pylons IIRC and the HAL Ajeet could operate in the ground pounding role.  The load was light, but not a lot less than other aircraft of the era and not bad for COIN ops.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Images/Vintage/Fighters/Ajeet/Ajeet_Armt.jpg.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

You could always fit longer wings.......  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit