Folland Gnat WHIF Ideas

Started by Mossie, December 20, 2007, 03:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

I supposed I should provide a link to my Folland TSR.2 Wasp - light bomber:

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

pyro-manic

Swing-wing variant, using bits from a 1:100 or 144 Tornado/Tomcat? :wacko:
All-weather fighter with radar nose and a pair of Firestreaks?
Parasite fighter with a trapeze, slung under a Valiant (I know about the Vulcan plans)?
Delta-winged, rocket-powered version as an early spaceplane?

For alt. paint schemes, how about some of the many and varied Hunter users? Rhodesia, Singapore, Switzerland, etc.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

Quote from: pyro-manic on February 12, 2012, 07:18:37 AM
All-weather fighter with radar nose and a pair of Firestreaks?

That was a real project: Gnat Mk.2 with AI.23 radar, two firestreaks, big, thin wing and an afterburner. The RAF got as far as placing a tentative order for those...

Delta-winged, rocket-powered version as an early spaceplane?

Well my eternal Avro Atom project has the delta wing at least:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21511.0/highlight,atom.html

What about Sweden for an operator?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

perttime

IRL, Sweden has been pretty stubborn about rolling their own but what if...

pyro-manic

They did have a few Hunters, so it's possible. Perhaps they spent all their development money on the A36 Vargen and so had to buy fighters off the shelf?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Ian the Kiwi Herder

All great ideas and very worthy... think I'll simply paint mine in different colours !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

JayBee

What about civil users? High speed courier service, or training schools, or what?

I have thoughts of BEA (British European Airways) operating a number of them as fast mail carriers within Europe, or maybe even further afield.
Or how about news paper groups using fast couriers for photos of news events.

Or how about using one to get the first bottles of Beaujolais Nouveau to Restuarants in London.

OOPS, that has already been done in the real world  :banghead:

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on February 12, 2012, 12:16:27 PM
Or how about using one to get the first bottles of Beaujolais Nouveau to Restuarants in London.

OOPS, that has already been done in the real world  :banghead:

With a Gnat?

The fast mailplane idea sounds good, you could carry the load in the wing tanks, like Wellesley bomb panniers.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Diamondback

IIRC, the Vulcan parasite was one-way only, a jet-powered nuclear Ohka. And my personal response to the individual proposing it would have been to empty my .45 into his groin so he could not further contaminate the world...

"Pilots would have the option to bail out" they said. Right, sure... by the time you have it on target and everything locked, you hit the silk and you're still gonna be fallout. Either that or absorb a fatal dose of radiation... sorry, but IMO officers who propose suicide weapons as instruments of policy should be at minimum immediately cashiered.

JayBee

Indeed yes Kit, a few years ago an ex RAF (now civilianised) Gnat was used to do just that. It landed at Biggin Hill where a Jet Ranger was waiting to transfer the "valuable" cargo onwards  :rolleyes:

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Mossie

Quote from: Gondor on February 12, 2012, 01:41:38 AM
Quote from: Cobra on February 12, 2012, 12:12:26 AM
Hey Guys,how about going 'Gerry Anderson' with the Gnat and making it into an ASR search Jet? could you picture a Gnat like that or as a 'World Navy' Carrier based Fighter? think either of those would Work? Dan

Thats along the same idea as from the "Hot Shots" spoof film of Top Gun which would make the aircraft not exactly a Whif as it was in a film which was a spoof.... so would it actualy be a whif or not?

Gondor

US Navy might be a good counter to the Hot Shots! Gnats, there was a real world naval Gnat proposed.

Quote from: Diamondback on February 12, 2012, 01:18:26 PM
IIRC, the Vulcan parasite was one-way only, a jet-powered nuclear Ohka.

There were plans to fit the Gnats with refuelling gear & recover them with a tanker.  Other methods were investigated too but none were satisfactory.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on February 11, 2012, 11:59:54 PM
Think it may be time to resurrect this thread, now that the Airfix Gnat is on the shelves. As mentioned in the 'Airfix' thread I have some ideas of my own, starting with:

Saudi Arabia :
Either in overall Lt. A/c grey with day-glo patches, or Strikemaster style camo with the same day-glo patches.

Netherlands :
Overall yellow, with orange tail and wing-tips.

Japan :
Overall aluminium with bright unit markings.

West Germany :
Already mentioned by Greg. Splinter camo with orange G91 style hi-vis orange patches.

US Aggressor :
Early type scheme, Patches, Snake, Lizard etc.

Any other ideas feel free to drop them here !!

Ian

Taking up the invitation as always, I'll throw a few into the mixer:

Dominican Republic (previously mentioned real world potential), sand splotches over green with those 'target' roundels

Irish Air Corps, silver with dayglo patches & Celtic boss

Rhodesia, any markings

Singapore, SEA camouflage, dayglo fuselage stripe & wingtips, yin-yang roundels

Thailand, funky three tone blue/grey scheme like the L-39's
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

Rhodesia also means Zimbabwean Gnats as well.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

As one of the very first What Ifs I ever posted here was an Irish Air Corps Hawk T1, I guess it would be rude NOT to do an Irish Gnat too. Hmmmm  :mellow:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Weaver

How about the RAF decides it likes the Mixed Fighter Force concept in the late 1960s instead of the mid-1980s and/or needs extra light fighters for it's comittment to Vietnam? The result is a Gnat re-fitted with an Ajeet-style wet, four-pylon wing, enabling it to carry two drop tanks plus two Sidewinders....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones