Douglas Sentinel E.2t

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, August 29, 2005, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

I snagged an Italeri EB-66 off that well known on-line auction site beginning with 'E' last night, with the full intent of painting in 60's era glossy MSG/DG/White... then I started thinking about the back story....

Looking carefully at Americas ongoing experience in Vietnam, the RAF began looking for a limited number of airframes to convert as stand-off Jamming aircraft for use in the European theatre in the event of the cold war turning hot.

The obvious candidate was the Canberra but with a maximum of three crew and limited space within the airframe, a larger paltform was needed. America initially offered low-time B-47 airframes suitably modified to British requirements, but these were refused, in-turn the RAF asked about the availability of EA-3 Skywarriors, but the US Navy was busy refurbishing as many as possible to meet their own requirements.

So finally the B-66 was offered - a number of them had been temporarily based in the UK throughout the early sixties - the RAF accepted and the first of six aircraft was delivered to RAF Sculthorpe in January 1966....

OK, be gentle with me, it's only 0715 here, and I didn't sleep too wel last night....

I H-G

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Geoff_B

Hi Ian

Nice simple one, just have the US passing on fully configured EB-66 to the RAF for Electronic recon along the Eastern Border on NATO. Possibly base them in RAF Germany and use the dual language stencilling. The Canberras & Gannet were mainly used for ECM training for own own forces to simulate the Soviet Jamming tactics and develop ways to cope with it.

G B)  

lancer

Nice scenario Ian, very plausible.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Gary

Cool. And very plausable.  
Getting back into modeling

elmayerle

Very plausible backstory indeed.  I'd much rather be in an EB-66 than a EKA-3B anyway, easier to get out if needed.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

The Rat

I've always thought that the B-66 was a beautiful aircraft, and unfortunately overlooked. Go ahead and do it!

I've got one on the go right now in fact, but it's more in the 'Alvis' mode of whiffers.  ^_^  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Throughout the late 50's and early 60's the RAF watched with some interest the developments the Americans made in electronic recconaissance platforms. Seeing a need to supplement the mixed bag of Canberras, Varsitys' etc then in use (and especially in the high threat area of the West German/Polish/Czech border); In 1966 The RAF leased, initially, four spare WB-66C (Sentinal E.1) airframes, then a further four EB-66C's (Sentinel E.1A)to form a series of two plane 'flights' for detachment all over the world - dependent upon their forseen need.

The original four WB-66 airframes were returned to the US for update to EB-66K standard (Sentinel E.2) in 1968 simultaneously two of the remaining four EB-66C airframes were 'downgraded' to electronics 'trainers' (Sentinel E.2T)and remained for the most part in the UK.

No two Sentinels, regardless of designation carried exactly the same equipment and aerial fit, thus providing modellers with endless scope for research and argument !

Douglas E.2T Sentinel
(Douglas Destroyer TEB-66K-1)
360 Squadron
RAF Sculthorpe, 1968

This is the Italeri kit, with only the wing-tip pods added, (from some unidentifiable missile found cowering in the spares box). Paint is all Xtracolour enamel shot through my new AZTEK brush. Decals from Modeldecal. And YES that is MEDIUM SEA GREY on the top surface - I'm guessing that the RAF would prefer the Soviets to believe that their new 'Ferret' was actually a bomber and thus painted it like a V-Bomber.

As ever all comments, questions and downright abuse is warmly welcomed. Thanks for looking & Happy Christmas, all. :cheers:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

bluntie

Outstanding work there Ian, just b****y OUTSTANDING!! :jawdrop:  
my hovercraft is full of eels

Glenn Gilbertson

No abuse - great idea and a beautiful model! Well done!
:salute:  

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

McGreig

Great idea, beautiful finish and another whiff that looks much more attractive than the real thing  :wub:  :cheers:  

SPINNERS

Mike Wren

you kept this one quiet... very nice!  :wub:  

ysi_maniac

:bow:  :bow:
Beautiful, outstanding, gorgeous, ...
:wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

Scooterman

Ian........

:thumbsup:  :bow:

Makes me want to break out my RAF Skywarrior project!