O

The Heretic's Thread

Started by Overkiller, December 23, 2007, 04:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

I  simply cannot touch a F-106 other than for spurious paint schemes.

Heretical treatment of the craft would necessitate a triple-wide cabin, one for the trainee, one the pilot, and one the crew chief.   And since it's a triple-wide, it would have to be in Oklahoma ANG markings and the emblem a fried chicken wing.  :blink:

I'd find a Piper J-3 Cub sporting low wings and a Wilga engine about the same.  :wacko:

The TSR.2 with a straight wing?

Daryl J.

Maverick

Given the nature of who we are and what we do, I don't personally believe that there's anything remotely heretical.  To one person it might seem the most obscene abomination every put into pixels or plastic, whilst another would think it's 'just right'.

Whifs come, like the creators, in many flavours.  At the end of the day, everything we do, regardless of whether it's a proposed project whif or sublime lunacy is heresy to the JMNs of our 'hobby'.

I say that we just bask in our heretical ways and enjoy the slings & arrows of those mainstreamers.

Regards,

Mav :thumbsup:  :dum:  

upnorth

I have been thinking of a P-38 with Bristol Centaurus engines in perhaps a post war context, say Royal Egyptian Air Force going up against the Israelis.

Was also thinking about a P-38 with Napier Sabres too.

Can't really explain it, but there has been for a very long time a little voice in the back of my head urging me to intermarry the P-38 Lightning and Hawker Typhoon/Tempest families.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Mossie

How about anything 'non-American' in US markings?  Buying foreign can be a political hot potato in the US & I'm sure there's a few people out there that might be wound up by such an idea. :D  
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Heresy, I'll give you heresy.....

1 Take a fresh from the factory Hawker Hunter
2 Remove the engine
3 Extend the nose
4 Add to the extended nose a RR Double Mamba engine, complete with five bladed contra-rotating props.....
5 Leave the conversion NMF complete with all the patchy metalwork the rest of the airframe in camouflage.

.....et voila

Hawker HunterScreach

(See what I did there...... I took something truly beautiful, made it ugly and hi-jacked an American name, by which to call it  :o )

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Madoc

Folks,

Okay, you want heresy?  No problem.  I got your heresy right here...

A DeHavilland Mosquito - in natural metal finish as they decided to dispense with all that finicky woodwork!

Same lines, same size just made in the conventional fashion and thus now suitable for a full-on Alclad rendering.

Do that and watch the JMN heads start bursting!

Madoc
Wherever you go, there you are!

wagnersm

Think of some of the weird stuff done in the 'real' world?

Radial Engined Lockheed Lightnings (Model 322)
In-line engined B-17s (BOEING-LOCKHEED VEGA XB-38 FLYING FORTRESS)
In-line engined B-29s (BOEING XB-39 "SPIRIT OF LINCOLN")
DC-3 on floats
Douglas B-42 Mixmaster.
P/F-82 Twin Mustang
Boeing B-17G / Consolidated B-24 (http://www.unrealaircraft.com/hybrid/B17G.php)

We're just  doing what everybody else does.

Steve

kitnut617

QuoteThink of some of the weird stuff done in the 'real' world?

DC-3 on floats

Steve
Yeah! like this:

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Brian da Basher

Heresy?
How about spats on a biplaned Raptor, Rafale, Mirage, Viggen, Typhoon, Arrow or TSR.2?
:wub: :wub: :wub:
Brian da Basher

B777LR

QuoteHeresy?
How about spats on a biplaned Raptor, Rafale, Mirage, Viggen, Typhoon, Arrow or TSR.2?
:wub: :wub: :wub:
Brian da Basher
Parasol wing Eurofighter Typhoon with spatted tail dragging landing gear and open cockpit...

jcf

Steve
The Model 322 was not a radial engined P-38, rather P-322 was the designation of the non turbo-supercharged ex-French/stillborn RAF Lightning I used as a trainer by the US.

The Model 24 was one of the radial proposals.

Jon  

wagnersm

Steve
The Model 322 was not a radial engined P-38, rather P-322 was the designation of the non turbo-supercharged ex-French/stillborn RAF Lightning I used as a trainer by the US.

The Model 24 was one of the radial proposals.

Jon
Jon

Oops,   Thank you for the correction.

Steve

:dum:  

Daryl J.

Hopefully this turns into a teen-age "Watch this! (evil grin)".   :D

ARC is putting on a -109 group build right.....so.......what would be wrong with doing a cloth wing wonder?   :party:  :party:  :party:  
Backstory to involve some little known variant of the E series and a fabic wing, no wing guns, odd (to Germany) cammo.   A fabric covered rear fuselage could  be included too, but it just wouldn't really look all that great and the wing is enough visual impact to wad up all sorts of unmentionables. :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

I'm thinking a paint scheme of overall Tamiya grey-green that was just released for the Zero 21 kit.  Monochrome tends to show of detail better.  Hee-hee!

....would a declaration of "De Herretico Carborundum" be called?

Thanks to Squadron's massive Tamiya Mosquito sale this month, a pair of 1/72 Mossie bombers are in the stash......would anyone object to me building the metalized version mentioned above?     Credit to be given to Madoc, the instigator of course.  It may actually get titled 'de herretico carborundum.'  

:cheers:
Daryl J.

Archibald

QuoteI have been thinking of a P-38 with Bristol Centaurus engines in perhaps a post war context, say Royal Egyptian Air Force going up against the Israelis.

Was also thinking about a P-38 with Napier Sabres too.

Can't really explain it, but there has been for a very long time a little voice in the back of my head urging me to intermarry the P-38 Lightning and Hawker Typhoon/Tempest families.
That's an idea I have had, too. Maybe you can build it starting from a P-49 or a P-58, one of the two was a P-38 with bigger engines, not too far from british 24 cylinders engines.

Maybe you could buy two unexpensive (and crap) Heller's Typhoon, cut their noses and graft them onto a P-38.

In fact result of such kitbash would fit nicely between the P-38 and P-61. Let's say the P-38 was too old and the Black Widow too big to make a decent  long-range day fighter... never understood why the Firefly was so slow while having a big Griffon engine and 2000 hp.  Sounds a waste to me!

Got an another idea, this time with the Fairey  Firefly. Why not building a single-seat variant by cutting a chunk of its rear fuselage ?
This could be a competitor to Typhoon and MB-3 circa 1944, and give FAA a better interceptor than the Seafire...
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Mossie

QuoteHow about anything 'non-American' in US markings?  Buying foreign can be a political hot potato in the US & I'm sure there's a few people out there that might be wound up by such an idea. :D
It may wind others up for reasons that you don't suspect.
Your right Lee, intriguing...... :huh:  
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.