Raf 74 Sqn Hunter F.15

Started by AeroplaneDriver, December 20, 2007, 06:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Wren

QuoteI happen to have some pretty nice 74 Sqn decals for the Hawk, so now I'm thinking a black-spined Tiger Squadron machine with a pair or AMRAAMs might look nice.
spot on!  :wub:  

AeroplaneDriver

QuoteI don't think you want a Spey, even the small ones are rather larger than the Avon and require significantly larger inlets.  A better approach would be re-engining with a RB.199, EJ200, or F404/412(RM12)/414.  You get a bit of improvement in thrust with a much better fuel consumption and reliability.  The airframe looks to be too far along now, but adding the CFE-proposed three-foot extension at the nose/main fuselage joint would've been nice, too.
Thanks for the info Evan!

I went with the Spey because I found a reference that said it was a possible engine for the CFE Hunter.  I couldnt find dimensions for the Avon, but hte numbers I found for the dry Spey looked like it would work (97 inches long, 32 inch dia).  I thought about the intake issue, but just from looking at pics it didnt really seem that the AMX had much more intake area.

I did think about the fuselage extension, but stopped myself since that was a bit too much 'mission creep'.  My intention for this build was quick, easy, with little or no PSR.

If the RB.199 is a more feasible option, then I'm happy with that.  It fits the timeline perfectly!

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

AeroplaneDriver

Slow start today due to some electrical problems in the house.  The electrician is gone now and tells me it is something with the power company, not the house.  So now I'm waiting for the power company, who may or may not show up.  Oh well...for now the power is fine, so modeling can continue.

I'm diggin through the parts box for some lumps and bumps.  I dont want to add too much and spoil the shape, but a couple of ECM bumps and chaff/flare dispensers will bring it into the 90s.

I'm hoping to shoot a coat of paint in the next couple of hours, then I'll post more pics.

AeroplaneDriver

Just one pic tonight, but I've made decent progress today.  Major construction is complete, and the first colour is on.  Landing gear is painted and the weapons fit is coming together nicely.  

I found a little dealie in the spare parts box on an Italeri F-104A sprue.  It is basically two pylons joined by contoured crosspieces.  The contour fits the belly of hte Hunter perfectly, so with the addition of a couple of missile rails from an Italeri Harrier GR.5 the Hunter gets a pair of AMRAAMs on the belly.

This should finish up nicely tomorrow or early Sunday.

elmayerle

QuoteI don't think you want a Spey, even the small ones are rather larger than the Avon and require significantly larger inlets.  A better approach would be re-engining with a RB.199, EJ200, or F404/412(RM12)/414.  You get a bit of improvement in thrust with a much better fuel consumption and reliability.  The airframe looks to be too far along now, but adding the CFE-proposed three-foot extension at the nose/main fuselage joint would've been nice, too.
Thanks for the info Evan!

I went with the Spey because I found a reference that said it was a possible engine for the CFE Hunter.  I couldnt find dimensions for the Avon, but hte numbers I found for the dry Spey looked like it would work (97 inches long, 32 inch dia).  I thought about the intake issue, but just from looking at pics it didnt really seem that the AMX had much more intake area.

I did think about the fuselage extension, but stopped myself since that was a bit too much 'mission creep'.  My intention for this build was quick, easy, with little or no PSR.

If the RB.199 is a more feasible option, then I'm happy with that.  It fits the timeline perfectly!
Ah, okay - those dimensions work for a dry Spey.  I was thinking of one with afterburning, that gets a rather larger envelope diameter.  For the 1960s or 1970s, that's a valid option, beyond that point in time, I'd go with a RB.199 or, a bit later, an EJ-200.  Both are smaller and lighter than the Spey for the same thrust.

Regarding that CFE extension, the Matchbox kit has the fuselage break at precisely the right spot to add that in quite easily; I'm going to have to do one; I'll likely fit a radar nose at the same time.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

AeroplaneDriver

Painting is done and a Future coat is drying, so decals are next.  Here is a last picture before the final reveal.

As mentioned earlier it will be a 74 Sqn machine with a Tiger on the tail.  I know a lot of us dont like grays, but I like seeing it on something different like this.

SinUnNombre

Wow, AD! I didn't think it was possible, but that new nose looks even better with the contrasting gray paint on it. I can't wait to see her all buttoned up and on her feet. Thank you again for sharing.

Jon

Mossie

Yeah, I've always liked the idea of a Hunter in air defence greys, like you mention it looks different on a Hunter.  In my eyes although the Hunter saw good service as a strike aircraft, it was a born fighter & it would have been nice to see it finish it's days in that role.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

AeroplaneDriver

QuoteYou can't fit a Spey without making the intakes bigger and that's far too late now.  De Havilland looked at doing a Spey engined Sea Vicxen and had problems with enlarging the intakes due to the wingspars.  One of the later 301 series Avons fitted to the Saudi Lightnings may be a better bet.

Nice though.
Thanks Lee.

Surely the Sea Vixen needed bigger intakes since each intake feeds one engine though.  With both intakes feeding a single engine might the intake area be enough?

Looking again at the AMX, its intakes do look a bit bigger than the Hunter, but not that big.

I'd really like to be able to stay with the Spey, since the RB.199's dry thrust is a bit on the low side, and the EJ200 is a bit later than the model's timeframe, but I really want a turbofan in it.

If all else fails I can always say it has bigger intakes and slap some covers on them!   :D

Captain Canada

QuoteI know a lot of us dont like grays
Nothing wrong with grays...especially when they're done with black !

:wub:

Looking good, Aeroman....love the twin AMRAAM launcher !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AeroplaneDriver

Well it took a little longer than I planned, but my updated and upgraded Hunter is done after four days.

The quick and dirty backstory:

After the 1989 Soviet coup, and the resulting death of Mikhail Gorbachev crushed hopes for an end to the Cold War, Britain found herself in need of additional air defence hardware.  Though useful in theory the Sidewinder-armed Hawk T.1A fleet were of little practical value outside of an actual war situation, and with increasing demands on the Tornado F.3 fleet BAe stepped forward offering to upgrade a number of low time Hunter airframes for the RAF.

With the serving head of the RAF a former Hunter man the offer was jumped at.  The resulting Hunter F.15 was powered by an uprated dry version of the Turbo Union RB.199 engine, delivering 11,400lb thrust, and had the Sea Harrier FA.2's highly capable Sea Vixen radar.  Other updates included a frameless windshield, Martin-Baker MK.10 seat, updated cockpit displays and avionics, an APU, improved braking, an inflight refueling probe, increased internal fuel, and the ability to carry either a fuel tank or a twin missile rail on the centerline.

The Hunter F.15 entered service with RAF Germany in late 1994, with 29 Sqn at Gutersloh.  RAF Leeming was the next base for the new Hunter, with 74 Sqn converting from the Phantom F.3 in 1995.  To mark the return to Hunter operations XG204 (the new Hunters retained their original registration numbers) was painted with a black tail and spine with the famous Tiger Squadron markings.

As an interceptor the Hunter F.15 normally carried 2 AIM-9M Sidewinders and 2 AIM-120B AMRAAM missiles along with either 100 or 230 gal external fuel tanks.  The four ADEN cannon were retained, though in normal operation only two were loaded, with 150 rouds each.

gooberliberation

Four days for that?! That looks damned good. I honestly didn't think a pointy nosed hunter would look that good but you've come up with something fantastic! :jawdrop: I love the colors. :wub:  
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Archibald

Man, that's truly an awesome result! I love the look of this machine very much!!!  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

B777LR

Thats top notch! REally cool! I lke hunters! :wub:  

NARSES2

Somehow you've mad a gorgeous looking aircraft lok even better - stunning job  :wub:

I wonder what a certain Mr McEvoy would think of it

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.