F-18 and F-17 Hornet

Started by Radish, January 20, 2004, 01:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F-32

RAF Hornet - stick Rolls Royce engines in it, make the rear end bigger (thus adding drag) make the aircraft twice as expensive and slower than stock models and it'll be ready for service - practically 'off the shelf' ^_^  

Daryl J.

Loiter time?   Don't all Legacy Hornets fly with at least 6 drop tanks and a nearby refueler?   :lol:

One fella in our modeler's club used to brief F/A-18 pilots prior to their missions and had taken a 1/72 Hasegawa kit and put drop tanks on every possible pylon including the wing tips and would describe the mission using that model.   Being an F-14 man himself he thought it would be a good ribbing of his ship mates.    He says that most of the Bug Drivers took it very well.   :-)

Daryl J.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: F-32 on October 18, 2005, 05:41:58 AMRAF Hornet - stick Rolls Royce engines in it, make the rear end bigger (thus adding drag) make the aircraft twice as expensive and slower than stock models and it'll be ready for service - practically 'off the shelf' ^_^
A quick modification to represent such a version would be to use the RB199 exhaust parts from a Tornado, or how about the exhaust parts from the Rafale or Typhoon?

Quote from: Daryl J. on October 19, 2005, 05:02:18 PMLoiter time?   Don't all Legacy Hornets fly with at least 6 drop tanks and a nearby refueler?   :lol:
One fella in our modeler's club used to brief F/A-18 pilots prior to their missions and had taken a 1/72 Hasegawa kit and put drop tanks on every possible pylon including the wing tips and would describe the mission using that model.   Being an F-14 man himself he thought it would be a good ribbing of his ship mates.    He says that most of the Bug Drivers took it very well. :-)
If I remember correctly, one of the things that came up during the fly-off against the A-7 was the fact that range of the F-18 was only marginally better or just a bit less than the A-7.  Then the whining (or was that an argument) was changed to "we neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed two engines instead of one" because of the over water mission requirements.  Gee, did that really matter with the A-4 or the A-7?  Both of which did their job very well with just one engine.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Spellbinder99

The July 1998 Scale Aircraft Modelling (Volume 20 Number 5) has an article about converting the ESCI 1/72 scale F-18 model into the YF-17. Complete with drawings, it might be  a help for doing the same in 1/48?

Cheers

Tony

Jeffry Fontaine

Has anyone given any consideration to adapting the wings from the F-15 to an F-18 fuselage?  Something that came to mind in the wee hours of this morning and now it is something that I need to share with you all in hopes that someone has attempted this recently. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

KJ_Lesnick

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

TsrJoe

Finnish 'Aggressor' Hornet ?

... during a summer trip to Helsinki, whilst there doing my usual visits of museums i wandered into the military museum in Helsinki which had an interesting lil promotional/recruitment video showing Hornet flight operations, one thing that really caught my eye was one in an overall very dark (temporary black?) scheme F.18C Hornet, coded HN-444 which was seemingly being used as an 'aggressor' during acm. definately something i hadnt seen noted elsewhere and certainly a lil different from the norm.

Iv also found the same video on 'youtube' ...

Black Hornet ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZzf_12zdSU&feature=related
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

... the snaps make the aircraft look darker than it seems in the footage as the serial number is stil visible against the darkened surface, im thinking some kind of temporary 'black wash' over the normal grey scheme ?

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

:bow: from the amazingly prolific hand of John Lacey (maverick) ... a profile of HN-444 as discussed ...

many thanks, cheers, Joe

GTX

Well at least one RAAF Hornet (A21-7) wore a dark (not as dark as that Finish one though) scheme for a while - I liked it:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Shasper

Similar or different to what the Pigs wear these days?

If memory serves right, the Maylay Bugs wear a very dark gray camo as well . . .

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Sauragnmon

That near-black bug looks damn cool.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

KJ_Lesnick

Wouldn't it totally rock to have a tailless F-18 (Whether an F-18A-D or F-18E/F) derivative with a cranked arrow wing much like the F-16XL?

Has anyone thought of this?

KJ Lesnick
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Sauragnmon

Not sure how viable the tailless concept would be, Kendra, but I agree, it'd look purely wicked, with or without the tails, having the full cranked delta on a bug.  Quite cool indeed.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.