Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ChernayaAkula

^ Sweet! :wub:

Now move the vertical stabilizers to the thingies* in the wings!  :wacko:

*highly-scientific, aeronautical term

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

I wonder if there would be enough stability with the design to lose the vertical control surfaces completely such as the examples of the tailless F-16, F-22, and F-35 concepts that have appeared in various LockMart advertising. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

ChernayaAkula

Nice work, Greg!  :thumbsup: Of course, I was impatient and took a shot at it myself.  :lol:

Here's my take, complete with head-on shot. Note the extended vertical stabs below the wing for high-alpha flight (and because it looks effin' cool! :wacko:) .

A set-up like this will go on a (probably twin-engined) Draken-whif one day.  :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Daryl J.

That actually looks pretty good.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Daryl J., visualizing this in green splinter wraparound

Sauragnmon

now let's see the Superbug XL!  The F/A/B-18XL, because it's FAB and Extra Large!

That Bug XL looks wicked!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

KJ_Lesnick

Now that is a beautiful machine...

With the tailfins spaced farther apart like that it almost looks like a very distant evolutionary progression of the F7U
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

dy031101

When I'm typing a new post for the Alt. Military News thread, I began wondering......

...... would the under-wing pylons of the F/A-18E/F leave enough room for double-carriage of MBDA Meteor missiles?

Ten Meteors under-wing (two under the outboard pylons as well as eight under the middle and inboard pylons), two more under the intakes, and two ASRAAM at the wingtips...... mean firepower it would be...... (for a what-if Royal Navy machine?)
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Shasper

Dy, that is a possibility . . . one load-out has dual 120s on the main 4 pylons and a single round on the outer set of underwing externals.

Akula, would the new ventrals on your XL affect the aircraft's ability to rotate on TO & landing?

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

KJ_Lesnick

Shasper,

QuoteAkula, would the new ventrals on your XL affect the aircraft's ability to rotate on TO & landing?

That's actually a good question especially with those ventral fins.  I think it might be do-able if the fins were shortened a bit

ChernayaAkula,

I love that design -- though you might want to shorten the ventral fins as it might have some trouble rotating (I suppose you could use folding fins though).  The only thing that could possibly be cooler would be an F/A-18E or F/A-18F with an XL-ish wing.

KJ Lesnick
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Sauragnmon

I find myself wondering about a Draken/Hornet bash.  Any of our wonderous graphics boys wanna take a sledgehammer to the concept?
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Daryl J.

A Draken/Hornet bash?   That would be cool.   

One can wonder if SAAB and Northrop had some sort of technology or data sharing going on for some time as the Northrop N-94 looks like a Draken embryo and there are rumors of the F-20/Gripen heritage, yes?

.....and now back to regular programming.....

Daryl J.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Shasper on January 26, 2009, 03:41:11 PM
<...> Akula, would the new ventrals on your XL affect the aircraft's ability to rotate on TO & landing?

Good question. On the one hand, they don't seem to extend that much below fuselage in the profile. On the other hand, the rear fuselage may slope up a good bit so they might stick out too much. Hmmm, maybe the fold away as on the MiG-23?  :unsure: Sorry, I was going more by looks than practicality.

Should I ever get round to build it wheels down, I'll still extend them. When the engines are shut down and the hydraulic pressure drops they drop by themselves. As the flaps do. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :lol:

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on January 26, 2009, 04:36:04 PM
<...> The only thing that could possibly be cooler would be an F/A-18E or F/A-18F with an XL-ish wing.

:thumbsup: Exactly! F/A-18XXL! :lol: Would the wing leading edge be more angular? With stealth and all that?
Cheers,
Moritz

Mossie

Very nice!  You could make the lower fins partially or fully retractable, or pull the booms in to the trailing edge.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.