F-18 and F-17 Hornet

Started by Radish, January 20, 2004, 01:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: dy031101 on February 06, 2011, 01:35:22 PM
I just couldn't help to feel erked by the fact that so far the Silent Eagle could carry only four AMRAAMs in low-observable mode......

F-22 is the same
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

SebastianP

That AVWeek article had some curious info that contradicts what I've seen elsewhere - according to the article, you can stuff four AMRAAMs or a mixed load in the pod, but from what I remember of other articles and the presentation video, it's two AMRAAMS or up to 2000 lb worth of bombs, the mixed load being one 1000 lb bomb and one AMRAAM. On the other hand, the pod will also fit on the inboard stores station under each wing, bringing the total to six, or 6000 lb of bombs.

If the Japanese do get the Super Hornet, I hope they'll call it Suzumebachi - hard to pick another name for a giant Japanese Hornet... (Three-way decal swap idea: F-16C, F-2A, and F/A-18E. Super Hornet with Hinomaru on blues; F-2A done up as Super Falcon; and F-16C in Navy grays. ;D)

Cheers,

SP

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: SebastianP on February 15, 2011, 01:27:40 PM<...> Super Hornet with Hinomaru on blues <...>

Shush!

Love the idea of the name Suzumebachi!  :thumbsup: Now someone needs to design a suitable patch and squadron markings.  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

rallymodeller

Screw the F-35. Canada shoulda bought Superbugs in the first place.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Fulcrum

Quote from: rallymodeller on March 23, 2011, 01:17:17 AM
Screw the F-35. Canada shoulda bought Superbugs in the first place.
I second that too, though it is almost impossible now(unless the Liberals somehow win the upcoming election) to change that since the government is focused on buying the F-35. It will definitely become a true "what-if".
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

anthonyp

Quote from: SebastianP on February 15, 2011, 01:27:40 PM
If the Japanese do get the Super Hornet, I hope they'll call it Suzumebachi - hard to pick another name for a giant Japanese Hornet... (Three-way decal swap idea: F-16C, F-2A, and F/A-18E. Super Hornet with Hinomaru on blues; F-2A done up as Super Falcon; and F-16C in Navy grays. ;D)

Cheers,

SP

Resurrecting and still going OT here, but drop the F-16C in naval camo.  Go F-2, which has the bigger wingspan that would be more use on a carrier.

...  Dangit!!!  I used to have pics of what that'd look like on my website, but the files appear to have gone corrupt.  I'll have to reload them.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

MilitaryAircraft101

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on February 08, 2011, 06:59:19 PM
I just couldn't help to feel erked by the fact that so far the Silent Eagle could carry only four AMRAAMs in low-observable mode......

F-22 is the same

It carries 6 staggered AMRAAMs and 2 Aim-9s in LO mode, the F-35 currently can carry 4 AMRAAMs in LO (stealth) and later blocks (4+) will be able to carry 6 (Block 1,2,3 can be upgraded as well)

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: MilitaryAircraft101 on September 14, 2011, 01:47:33 PM
Quote from: Taiidantomcat on February 08, 2011, 06:59:19 PM

F-22 is the same

It carries 6 staggered AMRAAMs and 2 Aim-9s in LO mode, the F-35 currently can carry 4 AMRAAMs in LO (stealth) and later blocks (4+) will be able to carry 6 (Block 1,2,3 can be upgraded as well)

Yeah I was actually corrected on that shortly after I said it, but the post was deleted after the thread veered off topic.  :thumbsup: You are correct on all counts
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

GTX

I know it is just the wing folding, but doesn't the SH look cool with the wing bent like this?

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

rickshaw

Is the wing significantly larger on the Super-Hornet?  Must be the angle but looks that way.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

GTX

MilitaryAircraft101

Quote from: GTX on October 22, 2011, 04:51:41 PM
I know it is just the wing folding, but doesn't the SH look cool with the wing bent like this?

F/A-18E ala Ju-87!  ;) Wonder what's going to happen about the RAAF's 18 new SH option?

GTX

Quote from: MilitaryAircraft101 on October 22, 2011, 05:35:51 PM
Wonder what's going to happen about the RAAF's 18 new SH option?

Wait until 2012 and you will find out.

DarrenP

And has anyone thought what If F35 program crashes and burns F18E/F could be in pole position to replace many western aircraft. Be interesting seeing the E with the Royal Navy and the F replacing the Tornado in RAF

PR19_Kit

Quote from: DarrenP on October 27, 2011, 02:07:36 AM
And has anyone thought what If F35 program crashes and burns F18E/F could be in pole position to replace many western aircraft. Be interesting seeing the E with the Royal Navy and the F replacing the Tornado in RAF

Perish the thought.........  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit