PBY, PBN, OA-10 Catalina and CANSO

Started by GTX, December 28, 2007, 01:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hi folks,

I've previously said that the Catalina is one aircraft I don't think I coul d bring myself to whiff, however I'm brave (or silly) enough to see what you could do.  I'll start off with an idea:

New engines - say a RR Griffon as in theSupermarine Seagull:  

(Link To Image)

What else can you come up with - I'm afraid to look!!!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Brian da Basher

I can tell you're afraid to look because instad of a pic, your post contained the dreaded red X.
:redx:
How about a Catalina with jets like a DH Comet?

Brian da Basher

PanzerWulff

I'm workimg on one with turboprops off of a C-130 and replacing the .50 cals with miniguns I'm not sure what else I'm going to add to it it will be a rebel/pirate buster named.......(oh they're gonna hurt me for this one).........."The TURBO CAT"!!!

(Grabs coat and RUNS FOR COVER!!!)
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

The Rat

Don't feel bad gents, my Dad flew PBYs with the U.S. Navy and I'm not offended. WHIFF ON!  :thumbsup:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

GTX

QuoteCatalina with jets

Maybe if they are mounted Tu-72/74 style (got to keep that big radial engined look!):

Regards,

Greg

Mossie

Remove the hull for a conventional cargo aircraft.

It's a "Cat" right?  Paint it up in tortoiseshell, tigerstripes etc!

Zwilling version.  Cat-amaran-alina....  I'll get me coat! :dum:

Manx Cat.  Tailless variant....  Umm, where was me coat again??? :dum:  :dum:  :dum:  
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

QuoteZwilling version. Cat-amaran-alina.... I

Like these:

Don't like it!

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Of course, one could stick to the real world upgrades and simply give the Cat sharper claws:

Four fixed .50-caliber machine guns bolted to the keel proved lethal to enemy barges and other vessels:

A pair of fixed 20mm cannons mounted in the bow:

Regards,

Greg

Archangel

Civilian operators added a pair of turbo props to the wings so I don';t see why a military version couldn't have them.

GTX

QuoteCivilian operators added a pair of turbo props to the wings so I don';t see why a military version couldn't have them.

ah yes the  Bird Innovator - the creator should have been strangled for such vandalism.  At least only one was created and it was converted back!  It wouldn't have been so bad if he kep to radials!

Regards,

Greg

gooberliberation

Wouldn't be bad if he converted them all to turbines. Keeping radials AND turboprops just doesnt seem right.
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Mossie

Thought I'd mess about with a cargo version.  Kind of looks like a Caribou or Buffalo.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McGreig

QuoteZwilling version. Cat-amaran-alina.... I
Don't like it!
That's unfortunate - I've got one of these on the go as we speak   :ar:   However, it keeps getting put on the back burner by other projects  :(  and so far all that I've done is to build the wing. Maybe a candidate for Phoenix Build II  ;)

It'll actually be a Soviet Twin-GST and it'll be quite close to the four engined machine in your post but the tailplane will be at the normal height (and may be left in two sections as on the He-111Z) and the hulls will be connected directly by additional struts. Well, eventually they will - - -  :dum:  

The Rat

QuoteCivilian operators added a pair of turbo props to the wings so I don';t see why a military version couldn't have them.

ah yes the  Bird Innovator - ...
Weren't t-props though. GSO-480 Lycomings.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Iranian F-14A

Say 4x Turboprops and ASW gear,reprofile the nose,like the Grumman Albaross to contain a search radar and put a MAD in the tail.you could also possibly do away with the waist blister for post war ops,but these are good for more then just gun stations(like in the maritime recon and SAR roles) so keeping them might not be a bad thing.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever-1984
Current projects:
BAe EAP
OH-58F Kiowa Warrior
S-70C Civilian Hawk
HAL Light Combat Helicopter
S-64 Skycrane Firefighter