PBY, PBN, OA-10 Catalina and CANSO

Started by GTX, December 28, 2007, 01:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooberliberation

Quoteyou could also possibly do away with the waist blister for post war ops,but these are good for more then just gun stations(like in the maritime recon and SAR roles) so keeping them might not be a bad thing.
On that note, didn't the Soviet built ones have the blisters deleted? I suppose you could replace them with somewhat less draggy domes.
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Jeffry Fontaine

I fixed your image links and put them back in your first post to cut down on the confusion factor.  

Looking at that Supermarine Seagull makes me want to find those 1/24th scale floats from the Trumpeter Spitfire Float Plane kit.  The floats have the right shape and size, all they need are some wings and and engine.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

kitnut617

QuoteI fixed your image links and put them back in your first post to cut down on the confusion factor. 

Looking at that Supermarine Seagull makes me want to find those 1/24th scale floats from the Trumpeter Spitfire Float Plane kit.  The floats have the right shape and size, all they need are some wings and and engine.

Yes the 1/24 float would work, just needs the forward section shortening a bit though.  Have a look at the photo I have in my Avro Nottingham thread and you'll see what I mean.  I believe Rareplane made a vacuform of it in 1/72 scale,  I've been after one for ages.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Regards,

Greg
At least they were all air cooled engines LOL
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

noxioux

I've always wanted to turn a Cat into a flying houseboat.  Throw a couple of dual purpose motorbikes and a zodiac type boat in the back, some bunks and a kitchen. . .  Oh yeah.  I just have this vision of sitting on the wing with a fishing pole out on a big lake someplace.

Mossie

This was almost exactly how Jacque Cousteaus PBY-6A 'Calypso' was used.  They used to go from location to location with the diving & film gear packed in the Cat, along with a Zoidac.  They used to sleep in it & even had a dinner table in the hull!  Revell did a kit of it, with a zodiac & diver figures & from what I can gather it's hard to get hold of & is the only correct kit of a PBY-6A.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Jeffry Fontaine

If you have never seen the inside of a PBY Catalina, you are invited to check out the PBY Catalina International Association, Cutaway PBY Project.  This may help clarify what was inside of the actual aircraft since some of you appear to not be aware of the fact that the Catalina was fitted with bunks, kitchen, and other accomodations to allow some of the crew to live aboard the aircraft when it was moored next to the tender.  This was necessary to keep the radios manned as well as to have a damage control party on hand if the aircraft stated to take on water.  The bunks and kitchen accomodations were also necessary for the long patrols which required additional personnel for the long endurance missions and a needed place to allow some of the to sleep while others were on watch.  

As far as desecrating the PBY, I doubt you could do any worse than the guy that bought a war surplus PBY and removed the wings and tail surfaces and turned it into a boat.  There was a picture of this in an old Popular Mechanics or Popular Science that I had at one time.  Now that would really get some second glances at the model contest.  What would you put it under?  Aircraft or Boat?
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

jcf

QuoteI'm workimg on one with turboprops off of a C-130 and replacing the .50 cals with miniguns I'm not sure what else I'm going to add to it it will be a rebel/pirate buster named.......(oh they're gonna hurt me for this one).........."The TURBO CAT"!!!

(Grabs coat and RUNS FOR COVER!!!)
"Panzer"
The Canadian fire-bomber company Avalon Aviation proposed a Turbo Canso/Turbo Cat powered by a pair of R-R Darts.

I'll scan and post their artist's impression later.

Jon

jcf

Quoteyou could also possibly do away with the waist blister for post war ops,but these are good for more then just gun stations(like in the maritime recon and SAR roles) so keeping them might not be a bad thing.
On that note, didn't the Soviet built ones have the blisters deleted? I suppose you could replace them with somewhat less draggy domes.
The pattern aircraft for the Soviet-built version, the GST - Gidro Samolyet Transportnyi or seaplane transport, were a Consolidated Model 28-1(c/n C-1, NC777, Guba ) and three Model 28-2 (c/n C-2 and two aircraft in "kit" form). The aircraft were a commercial variant of the PBY-1 series and as such never had the side blisters. The 28-2 aircraft were powered by close cowled Wright Cylone R-1820-G3 engines rather than the usual P&W R-1830, the reason for this was that the Soviets were already producing the Cyclone under license as the M-62. The exact number of Soviet produced Model 28s is unknown, most agree that it was less than thirty.

The first aircraft had an interesting history:
http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/arti...les/commandeur/

The Soviets later received 137 of the Naval Aircraft Factory produced PBN-1 Nomad and 48 PBY-6A.
Soviet designation of the Nomad was KM-1, some aircraft were later re-engined with 1,850hp Ash 82FN engines and were redesignated as KM-2.

Removal of the blisters is a common post-war modification.

Jon

GTX

A number of years ago I was part of a 'consortium' that was going to try to buy one of the Soviet KM-1's as a restoration project.  Unfortunately, the whole deal fell through so we didn't get anything.  Still, it's was the closest I came to being a part (all-be-it a small part) owner of a 'Catalina' - sigh!!!! :( .

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

jcf

Turbo-Canso

Skybarge, proposed cargo mod, the entire blister area became a large sliding hatch.

BTW the Bird Innovator and few other Cats/Cansos actually were used as 'flying motorhomes'.
One semi-popular modification was a pair of dinghies slung under the wings.

Jon

GTX

Ok, I don't mind the R-R Dart powered Turbo Cat.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!