PBY, PBN, OA-10 Catalina and CANSO

Started by GTX, December 28, 2007, 01:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 29, 2007, 06:57:35 PM

Looking at that Supermarine Seagull makes me want to find those 1/24th scale floats from the Trumpeter Spitfire Float Plane kit.  The floats have the right shape and size, all they need are some wings and and engine.

I believe Rareplane made a vacuform of it in 1/72 scale,  I've been after one for ages.

Robert

A few months ago I manage to get one, very nice little kit it is too.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Jeffry Fontaine

Has anyone been keeping up with Jorge Wolf's 1/48th scale PBY Catalina WIP?  The quality of his work is enough to make one consider seriously taking up knitting.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on July 05, 2009, 04:26:35 PM
Has anyone been keeping up with Jorge Wolf's 1/48th scale PBY Catalina WIP?  The quality of his work is enough to make one consider seriously taking up knitting.

Whoa!!!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Howard of Effingham

would a catalina with two RR dart turboprops work ok?
Keeper of George the Cat.

Mossie

I don't see why not.  A turbo Cat might give some the old girls a new lease of life.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Howard of Effingham

'specially as mossie i was intending to use some RAF neptune MR.1 markings and an all-over dark blue finish.  :wacko:

the darts would come from the airfix friendship kit.

the one problem i do have is ideas for a suitable radar fit. i want something less ugly than the catalina with the radar pod behind the cockpit and wing
mounted ASV aerials would not be appropriate for early 1950's i think.
Keeper of George the Cat.

philp

How about a radome mounted on the front like the Albatross?  Could use the thimble nose or the later Jimmy Durante style.  Nose turret would probably have to go but maybe not.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

famvburg

Aerials probaly wouldn't be, but pods, as seen on some Skyraiders, probably would.

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on December 03, 2010, 04:07:33 AM
'specially as mossie i was intending to use some RAF neptune MR.1 markings and an all-over dark blue finish.  :wacko:

the darts would come from the airfix friendship kit.

the one problem i do have is ideas for a suitable radar fit. i want something less ugly than the catalina with the radar pod behind the cockpit and wing
mounted ASV aerials would not be appropriate for early 1950's i think.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

rickshaw

I wonder how many people even remember who Jimmy Durante was?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Maverick

raph

Hi all,

Interesting topic that led me to register... I've been working for several months on a concept of turbine-powered PBY inspired by the Basler conversion.

I'm trying to model it digitally but feel free to take a shot if that inspires you :) you'd probably have to redesign the steps a bit, like the Nomad, that's my focus at the moment...

More info and drawings at http://www.freylia.net/pby7at.html

Feedback welcome!

sandiego89

Quote from: GTX on December 03, 2010, 12:19:12 PM
How are these:

Regards,

Greg

I like it.  A few real world worries with a DART however, that proposed drawing puts the blade arcs nearly directly in the path of the pilots-noise, spray, debris and throwing a blade would be of concern  :-\  Perhaps mount them a little further back.  Weight is not much of an issue-pretty close to the original engines.  Also worried that the DART might be too much power for such a high thrust line.  Changes in thrust would cause massive trim changes, and engine out performance might overwhelm the flight controls.  Perhaps throw some additional vertical surfaces on the tail like the CL-415.  Another high thrust, high thrust line aircraft, the AN-32, seems to be quite a handfull and has done poorly in engine out scenarios.

But this being WHIF, DARTS on anything look great- go for it. :thumbsup:   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitnut617

Personally, I think the nacelles shape from the Turbo-Dak would suit it better, like how I'm doing this Sunderland

I'm having the exhaust go up & over the wing

kitnut617

Quote from: sandiego89 on July 07, 2014, 11:55:09 AM

I like it.  A few real world worries with a DART however, that proposed drawing puts the blade arcs nearly directly in the path of the pilots-noise, spray, debris and throwing a blade would be of concern  :-\  Perhaps mount them a little further back.  Weight is not much of an issue-pretty close to the original engines.  Also worried that the DART might be too much power for such a high thrust line.  Changes in thrust would cause massive trim changes, and engine out performance might overwhelm the flight controls.  Perhaps throw some additional vertical surfaces on the tail like the CL-415.  Another high thrust, high thrust line aircraft, the AN-32, seems to be quite a handfull and has done poorly in engine out scenarios.

But this being WHIF, DARTS on anything look great- go for it. :thumbsup:   

I think the DART engines in that profile are actually taken from a Grumman Albatross that was really converted with DARTs in the real world