Republic Thunderstreak FGA.1A

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, January 01, 2008, 08:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Started today, sort of...

Republic Thunderstreak FGA.1a

More pics later, when the baby goes to sleep.... maybe  :blink:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

It's all quiet now, the little darling has been asleep for an hour, so here's the closer picsof the (very) weathered cockpit..... and YES before anybody asks, that IS a pebble from the beach superglued under the cockpit floor 1

As ever all comments queries etc etc etc, warmly welcomed.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

AeroplaneDriver

Cockpit looks incredible Ian.  

Which kit are you using?  I built the Monogram one years ago and remember thinking it was pretty good fit for a Monogram.

Finally, are you replacing the Republic sweat with a Martin-Baker for RAF service?
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kitnut617

That's a major bit of nose weight you've got there Ian, I don't remember having to put very much, if any, into the nose of my F-105 I did.  Mind you it was a while ago.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

John Howling Mouse

Um...is that cockpit oob without any accessories besides really good painting?

I mean, I know it is a good kit and a highlight is the 'pit but this looks better than just "good."  

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Which kit are you using? I built the Monogram one years ago and remember thinking it was pretty good fit for a Monogram.

Finally, are you replacing the Republic sweat with a Martin-Baker for RAF service?

Nick - Yep it's the old Monogram kit, but the recently released Revell version - outstanding decals, especially the stencils. Wont be changing the seat, the idea being that the Thunderstreaks' were only in RAF service for a few years until more Hunters came on-line.

Um...is that cockpit oob without any accessories besides really good painting?

I mean, I know it is a good kit and a highlight is the 'pit but this looks better than just "good."

You're very kind Mr Mouse, but that is just a basic cockpit, painted, dry brushed and given a wash or two. The instrument faces came-out quite well tho' I must admit. Did my usual thing, painted the panel grey and dry brushed it to make the dials 'stand out', then painted each dial in thinned glossy black - it's a technique that has always worked for me, especially on Monogram kits.

Wait till you see the seat !

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Progress:

Fus together, lower wings on.

....and the seat

all goes into a 'holding pattern' now till the weekend, start back at work in the morning.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

John Howling Mouse

Anyone read Richard Bach's Stranger To The Ground?

Very satisfying aviation novel.  Whenever I see an F-84, whether real or modeled, I think of this book and vice versa.

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Dork lent me that book, years and years ago when I first met him - seem to remember it was a description of a courier flight from England to Italy on a rainy & stormy night. Very evocative.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

nev

Great work so far Ian, cockpit looks great B)

Those old quarter scale Monogram kits go together great for their age don't they?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

noxioux

That cockpit is awesome.  I took it for a photoetch jobbie at first glance.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Some progress:

As you can see the wing/fuse joint on both sides needed some attention from my trust (old) tube of Squadron putty. No big problem and so far only 'major' use of the smelly grey stuff. So here it is ready for its' move to the paint-shed (too bl**dy cold & windy out there today, Brrrrrr). First coat will be the underside painted aluminium:

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Xtracolour 'Aluminium' on today, and sealed-in with a couple of coats of Johnsons Kleer. Wont be doing any more until Sunday at the earliest - back on duty tomorrow !

Thanks for looking

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Brian da Basher

Looking good, Ian! I have a feeling this one's going to be a real stunner!

Brian da Basher

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Update 14th Jan:
Not worth posting any pictures. Sprayed the first coat of Humbrol Dark Sea Grey -DSG (H164) this afternoon, went on as-smooth-as-glass. Should need only one more coat for depth, maybe get that on tomorrow. Then I'll leave it for a few days before masking/spraying the Dark Green. I've ordered some RAF Colours from White Ensign Models. Used their enamels once before and they spray beautifully; if they arrive by Thursday I'll use these, if not, I'll use-up my last Xtracolour Dark Green (X-1).

Dependant upon other factors, it may make a personal appearence at Bolton on Sunday, but it wont be finished !

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)