Republic Thunderstreak FGA.1A

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, January 01, 2008, 08:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Dark Sea Grey on, then varnished and masked:

Dark Green next, at this point the drop tanks and stabs are only just pushed into place:

Quick shot of the underside showing the wraparound on the wing & stab leading edges:

Next...... decals ! ;D

Ian

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

kitnut617

looking good Ian, I see you are using Tamiya tape (yellow) is the white tape also Tamiya?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

John Howling Mouse

Nice to see one of my favorite aircraft models getting the Ian treatment.  Your camo demarcations would appear to have absolutely no paint lip/edges whatsoever even though it looks like you are not using raised edges on your two types of tape (I use Tamiya tape, too). Yet, my camo/color splits often end up with a thin but noticeable ridge effect, no matter how light I spray.  Is that because I'm using Acryl paints, do you think?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

There are slight ridges Barry, they just dont come-out on the pics. I have already sanded them down with auto-finishing wet'n dry. I found that CAREFULLY taking off any masking as soon as possible after spraying - when the paint is still wet - reduces the ridging problem. I dont believe it's got anything to do with the type of paint you use..... but I could be wrong. HTH

Some decals went-on yesterday afternoon; the roundels, serials, (modified) squadron bars. It'll take a few sessions to get all the stencilling on - there's just so many of them. It will be going to Bolton tomorrow, and may get its' picture taken there..... who can say  ;D

Thanks for the comments, chaps.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Well in to the landing circuit now, but will probably end-up on 'long finals'. The Hog went to Bolton yesterday, and a couple of our colleagues were quite taken aback by its' sheer bulk, certainly no lightweight, this puppy. Spent an uninterrupted three and a half hours this morning, getting all the stencils on. I always put the national & squadron markings on first with any project. Those squadron bars & badges and the smaller four roundels and fin-flash all came from the excellent Eagle Strike Sabre sheet, I trimmed-off the end checks on both sides, eight blocks was just too long for the Hog. The larger wingtop roundels came from the not-quite-as-excellent Cutting Edge Hunter sheet.

I've posted a shot of the M A S S I V E decal sheet, D*mn RoG are good at these !

So here it is, all dressed-up and ready for a coat or two of 'scale gloss' - that's Humbrol GlossCote mixed 50/50 with Humbrol SatinCote, just to take make the finished thing looka little less 'toy-like'.

Here's a close-up of the belly, there's a shed-load of stencilling here:

Thanks for looking.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Brian da Basher

Looks great Ian! I really like the splash of color added by the roundels and squadron markings.

Brian da Basher

Gekko_1

Very nicely done Ian!

It definitely looks the part.

That kit still has raised panel lines right?

Cheers

Richard.

John Howling Mouse

Beautiful.  Only other modelers can fully appreciate the patience and care required to apply so many stencils.  I'm suitably impressed.  I might just pull out one of my Kinetic F-84F's from the stash this weekend...

Mike Wren

Mossie

Waiting in eager anticipation of the canopy masking coming off & the hanging of the dangly bits.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nev

Sorry Ian, this one slipped off my radar screen!  :banghead:

What do I think?

1)  Glossy grey/green with full colour roundels?  10/10 for choice of colour scheme

2)  Nice job on getting a real sharp edge to the camo.  The demarcation seemed to be much harder in the 60s/70s, than it was when we went to the wraparound in the 80s

3)  Aluminium undersides seem to be notorious for oil streaks and the like, would be nice to see some dirtying up there  :wacko:

4) Don't sweat it on ALL the stencils.  Its a whiff, I just try to add enough to give it a bit of character and life, unless its a classic stencil magnet like SEA F-4Gs or JASDF F-4s
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Eddie M.

Very impressive look! Looking forward to roll out! :ph34r:
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Thanks for the very kind comments, all. It was varnished late yesterday afternoon, just before I came to work. I finish tomorrow morning, so by the time I surface around 1400 it will be ready for 'finishing off'.

I guess that means that barring any major disasters the next time you see it here it will be another finished dust-gatherer, erm, I mean, model. Really enjoyed this build - it isn't perfect in any way, but really nice to put together. Barry if you are going to do the Kinetic kit, let me know - I read in the reviews it IS this one, just with engraved panel lines, so just crying-out to be an NMF machine..... in RCAF markings, yes ??, from COLD LAKE, circa 1963, yes ?? ;D

So what's next for me, the Pucara (?) or the Mitsubishi F-2B (?).

Who can say  :wacko: - I'll post a new thread when the Hog is finished. Thanks again all.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on January 22, 2008, 05:59:22 PM
Barry if you are going to do the Kinetic kit, let me know - I read in the reviews it IS this one, just with engraved panel lines, so just crying-out to be an NMF machine..... in RCAF markings, yes ??, from COLD LAKE, circa 1963, yes ?? ;D

So what's next for me, the Pucara (?) or the Mitsubishi F-2B (?).

Ian

I'll double-check to compare but I think the Kinetic one has a lot more detail throughout.  Yep, NMF it should be.  I would've done one in RCAF but now that I see how good RAF roundels look on it....hmm...