Republic Thunderstreak FGA.1A

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, January 01, 2008, 08:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafael

Well, I can exhale now. This build really had me gripping my chair's armrests. Only to find it looks .... GORGEOUS!.

Sure the decaling should have been a PITA fro the extensive stenciling, but really, The markings are killer!!

As is the Camo scheme applied. Bravo Zulu!!!

Rafa
(Ian, You have me on the verge of a nerve attack. BRITISH PUCARAAAAAA, please!!!!!)
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Kit: RoG (nee Monogram) F-84F Thunderstreak
Scale: 1:48
Paint: All enamels, Humbrol & Xtracolour
Decals: Eagle Strike (modified from the F-86 sheet), Cutting Edge and all stencils from the kit.
Xtras: Bl**dy big pebble from the beach, superglued into the nose to keep the b*gger from tailsitting !

When, in 1959 a disastrous fire at the Hawker factory in Kingston-upon-Thames destroyed the production line for the new Hunter FGA.9, a number of theories were brought forward, the first that it was the work of American agents, concerned about the excellent export potential of a ground-attack version of the Hunter. A second theory that the blaze was stated by Soviet inspired espionage agents.

Whatever the actual origin of the fire, accident or design– it has never been fully established – the result was the same. Once again the RAF had an immediate vacancy for a ground attack aircraft.

SAAB offered the Lansen, Dassault offered the Mirage III and rather cheekily the Soviets offered the MiG 17..... with some strings attached!

In the end the most immediately available was the American Republic F-84F Thunderstreak. The reason, there were plenty already in Europe, and VFW Fokker were set-up to provide spares and maintenance. A number of pilots had been on exchange with foreign squadrons equipped with the F-84 so the type was somewhat familiar. Finally those American ground-crews that had worked on the type when it was based within USAFE were, for the most part, still in the service and could be quickly brought back to train and work alongside RAF ground-crews.

Never greatly popular with either those that flew it, or those that maintained it, the Thunderstreak FGA.1A equipped just six front line squadrons for four years from 1959. The last 'Thunderhog' was finally retired from Drone Controller duties at Llanbedr in 1972.

Republic Thunderstreak FGA.1A
92 Squadron
RAF Odiham, Hants.

As ever all comments, abuse or questions, warmly welcomed. Thanks for looking.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

kitnut617

What a great looking model, beautifully done!!
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Radish

It's certainly a looker, Ian.
I love 92 sqn markings...glorious.

I once had an idea for a triple-blue F-101B aggressor in 92 sqn colours :wub:

and I built my RAF f-8E in those markings too :wub:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Brian da Basher

That Thunderstreak is absolutely killer! You've managed to really bring this kit alive with that awesome camo paintjob and those colorful squadron markings! The details like those kill markings are icing on the cake! You've displayed very impressive skill and imagination!

Brian da Basher

kitbasher

Top marks - well done.  It's totally convincing.  ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Maverick

Superb build Ian, from concept to execution there was a quantum leap of perfection.  Really very nice.

Mossie

Lovely!  Looks the part, definately. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

AeroplaneDriver

Superb work Ian!!  :wub:
Nice backstory too!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Sisko

Bloody nice work mate!!!! :wub:

I can't belive I missed this. Oh well found now and I am happy that I did.
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Bryan H.

That's one slick looking F-84!  The RAF are so natural looking - although there are few aircraft RAF marking don't look good on!   :wub:  Great work!

:cheers: Bryan

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

SPINNERS

Howard of Effingham

Keeper of George the Cat.

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Brian da Basher on January 24, 2008, 12:20:42 PM
The details like those kill markings are icing on the cake! Brian da Basher

Ahem, (Embarassed cough), they aren't kill marks, sir, it's just stencilling !, Ahem.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)