Gloster Javelin

Started by Archibald, January 02, 2008, 12:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quoteand as a stand-off carrier for an advanced, and smaller, Blue Steel development.
This smaller Blue Steel has come up a few times in discussions, but I don't know where it fits in the grand scheme of things.  I've got BSP.Vol.4- Hypersonics --etc.
and I was hoping to read up on it but it is barely mentioned in the book.  Was it a 'still-born' project or is it real and maybe still in the inventory so completely off limits to Tony.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Archibald

Hmm, think its time to create a "CF-105 Arrow whatif ideas" thread  ;)  
Lots of old thread to resurrect...  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

rickshaw

I've often wondered why the Javelin had such oddly shaped cockpit canopies.  The "double-bubble" seems a bit strange to say the least.

Now, does anybody have a three view drawing on the P.376 thin wing Javelin?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

pyro-manic

There's one on page 54 of BSP: Jet Fighters, though it's fairly small.

A top view can be found here: http://www.wingweb.co.uk/Images/186/Gloster_P-376_Thin_Wing_Javelin
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on April 09, 2010, 05:26:43 AM
I've often wondered why the Javelin had such oddly shaped cockpit canopies.  The "double-bubble" seems a bit strange to say the least.

But it was a GLOSTER Javelin, which explains it all........  :lol:

In passing, if you want to pretend you're flying a Jav, go down the M5 and just after Jct 12, where the road straightens out, you're driving down the main runway where all the production 'Flat Irons'flew from. Over to the left you can see the roof of one of the old hangars, now a garden centre for goodness sake!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 09, 2010, 11:36:48 AM

But it was a GLOSTER Javelin, which explains it all........  :lol:

Ah, OK, that explains a lot.

In passing, if you want to pretend you're flying a Jav, goown the M5 and just after Jct 12, where the road straightens out, you're driving down the main runway where all the production 'Flat Irons'flew from. Over to the left you can see the roof of one of the old hangars, now a garden centre for goodness sake!

Mmm, but difficult for me as I'm in Oz but I'll store that away for when I finally reach the Ol' Dart.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on April 09, 2010, 11:41:10 PM
Mmm, but difficult for me as I'm in Oz but I'll store that away for when I finally reach the Ol' Dart.

Hehe, indeed, but to have a quicker look take a large spade and start digging, it'll be down about 7.7 thousand miles and across to the left a bit......  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

P.376 from Gloster Aircraft since 1917, Derek N. James, Putnam 2nd Ed. 1987.You cannot view this attachment.

rickshaw

Thanks for that.  Interesting intake design.  What missile is that its supposedly armed with?  Red Dean?

kitnut617

I was digging around in the stash boxes just now and came across the Hawk Javelin kit I have.  I found a sprue with some very odd looking missiles on it, but I can't figure out what they're supposed to represent (see pic). Anyone have any ideas to what they are ?  I've added a Sparrow alongside them for comparison

PR19_Kit

Robert,

Considering how old the Hawk Javelin is they're probably Hawk's idea of what a Sparrow looked like! There is a vague resemblance, but they're nowhere near a Firestreak or Red Top, are they?

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Now, does anybody have a three view drawing on the P.376 thin wing Javelin?

My guess is that:

a) a bit less surface area and s shallower drop-off at the back of the canopy means a bit less drag,

b) more panel space for a big radar scope at the expense of outside vision (back seater sits lower than pilot).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 25, 2011, 08:38:42 AM
I was digging around in the stash boxes just now and came across the Hawk Javelin kit I have.  I found a sprue with some very odd looking missiles on it, but I can't figure out what they're supposed to represent (see pic). Anyone have any ideas to what they are ?  I've added a Sparrow alongside them for comparison

Sparrow I had the pointed delta main fins and long nose, but, it was longer than the Sparrow III.
So, based on the date of the original kit, it's probably just a kit designers WAG at the Sparrow,
or he just made up something that was suitably missile-y;D

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-7.html

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 25, 2011, 10:09:49 AM
Sparrow I had the pointed delta main fins and long nose, but, it was longer than the Sparrow III.
So, based on the date of the original kit, it's probably just a kit designers WAG at the Sparrow,
or he just made up something that was suitably missile-y;D

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 25, 2011, 09:18:02 AM
Robert,

Considering how old the Hawk Javelin is they're probably Hawk's idea of what a Sparrow looked like! There is a vague resemblance, but they're nowhere near a Firestreak or Red Top, are they?

They do look a bit like the Sparrow I don't they, only I think they must be about half the scale ---- dis-information back then perhaps --

Weaver

I think it's just a case of "Missile:Generic" to be honest....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones