Gloster Javelin

Started by Archibald, January 02, 2008, 12:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

So, considering the size of these kit missiles, is/was there anything about the size I could use them as, in 1/72 that is.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

pyro-manic

Make something up! A competing design for Firestreak/Red Top, perhaps, or something more radical.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Ed S

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 25, 2011, 10:30:00 AM
So, considering the size of these kit missiles, is/was there anything about the size I could use them as, in 1/72 that is.

You might be able to convert them into AGM-45 Shrikes.  They had a similar configuration and were shorter than the AIM-7.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on January 25, 2011, 10:27:10 AM
I think it's just a case of "Missile:Generic" to be honest....

Ah, but is it the Generic MkI or the MkII? The MkII, as you no doubt recall, had the inverted flange on the framis valve.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on January 26, 2011, 06:16:56 AM
Ah, but is it the Generic MkI or the MkII? The MkII, as you no doubt recall, had the inverted flange on the framis valve.

Didn't Aeroclub do the inverted flange framis valve in white metal at one time? You could get 4 in a packet as I recall..............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

When the Hawk kit came out some of their aircraft were best described as "generic" let alone the missiles  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 26, 2011, 07:07:06 AM

When the Hawk kit came out some of their aircraft were best described as "generic" let alone the missiles  :banghead:

As I said further back in the thread, the Hawk kit matches very well with the Airfix/Heller kits.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 26, 2011, 07:11:01 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on January 26, 2011, 07:07:06 AM

As I said further back in the thread, the Hawk kit matches very well with the Airfix/Heller kits.

I wasn't refering particularly to the Javelin but some of the others and not just them as a manufacturer. Back then I built what was available and what I was given/could get. All good fun and enjoyable. It's just we are spoilt nowadays and I suppose should remember that at times
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Daryl J.

All weather anti shipping.
Sea Eagle equipped.

And with the new Airfix coming, outfitting a 1/48 kit can remain All Airfix with the Sea Eagles from the Buccaneer S2B kit.

PR19_Kit

I'd have HATED to fly a Flatiron on an anti-shipping op!  :banghead:

With that huge wing the low altitude ride would have been appalling, but nonetheless it'd look great in 208 Sqdn markings.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 02, 2008, 01:42:22 PM
Bomber and recce versions.

jon

Do it as a 1950's version of  the Tornado - bombs and cameras.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Daryl J.

QuoteI'd have HATED to fly a Flatiron on an anti-shipping op!  

With that huge wing the low altitude ride would have been appalling

That'd sure be understandable.   One professor at Pacific University in Forest Grove, OR commanded B-52's and he hated the day-long low level missions.   "We'd fly all day at 25 feet agl and then go search for a chiropractor!''  

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 22, 2013, 02:41:00 AM
I'd have HATED to fly a Flatiron on an anti-shipping op!  :banghead:

With that huge wing the low altitude ride would have been appalling, but nonetheless it'd look great in 208 Sqdn markings.  ;D

More than just large wings. The Hunter was hell on pilots at low level, the Swift was rock steady, but they were a comparable size.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Daryl J.

Quotethe Swift was rock steady

(Mumbles to self about a scratch built swept wing conversion, eyes the other Trumpeter Supermarine Attacker in the stash, and returns to the Javelin conversation.)

Interesting to know.   

rickshaw

I think you'll find its related to wing loading and wing area.  Large area wings tend to have high gust response.  If coupled with low wing loading, it means every time the wing hits even a slight difference in pressure, gusts of wind, etc., it moves easily.  A small wing with high wing loading doesn't. Fighter designers usually aim for as low a wing loading with as great a wing area as possible to ensure manoeuvrability.  Strike aircraft designers usually aim for the reverse.  One reason why the F-104 was successful as a strike aircraft but lousy as a fighter, while the Mirage wasn't much good low down.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.