Gloster Javelin

Started by Archibald, January 02, 2008, 12:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Nah, that's normal! The tail was so big the weight kept flipping the planes over shortly after take-off & it was easier to fly them inverted than struggle to keep them upright. :angel:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 02, 2021, 02:18:21 AM
Nah, that's normal! The tail was so big the weight kept flipping the planes over shortly after take-off & it was easier to fly them inverted than struggle to keep them upright. :angel:

Really?  I understood that Javelins were forbidden to undertake aerobatics such as inverted flight...   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Weren't some Javelins banned from sustained inverted flight?

Something to do with lubrication  systems on some versions of the engines. Darned if I know where I read that but it may come back to me.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

all I can hear id the pilot saying to the home office chappie in the back ( whos being very unhelpful)  " there you go  you can see your house from here ! "  ;D
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Nick

Javelins were barred from certain aerobatic moves such as looping. Something about the controls meant that the aircraft would resist the pilot pulling on the stick when he needed to carry on down to finish the loop.
They were also notoriously difficult to get out of a stall. The only working escape method was to force the bird into a spin and use it to get the nose pointing down to increase airflow and speed. Even then the risks were high and several pilots died that way.

I really think that Gloster were way out of their depth with the Javelin and had limited understanding of the aerodynamics. IIRC at one point they were ahead with building the later models while still producing the earlier marks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on May 06, 2021, 02:11:40 AM

They were also notoriously difficult to get out of a stall. The only working escape method was to force the bird into a spin and use it to get the nose pointing down to increase airflow and speed. Even then the risks were high and several pilots died that way.

Early indications of what became known as the 'Deep Stall' experienced by a number of T-tailed airliners. A Deep Stall with a BAC 1-11 prototype killed Mile Lithgow amongst others. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Trying to improve the Javelin with the benefit of hindsight is quite an interesting exercise, although whether the end result would be worth the cost and effort is another matter, of course.

Quote from: Nick on May 06, 2021, 02:11:40 AM
Javelins were barred from certain aerobatic moves such as looping. Something about the controls meant that the aircraft would resist the pilot pulling on the stick when he needed to carry on down to finish the loop.

I really think that Gloster were way out of their depth with the Javelin and had limited understanding of the aerodynamics. IIRC at one point they were ahead with building the later models while still producing the earlier marks.

If you stalled on approach to finals you were dead, so they installed a warning hooter that sounded if you were going too slowly with the gear down. Back-seaters discovered that they could replicate the sound of the hooter with a harmonica, so they used to carry one and use it to scare rookie pilots who they thought were making excessively careful approaches. ;D

Another trick the back-seaters learned was that, although they had no flying controls in the back, they could get access to the control rods by unscrewing a panel on the side console. They then used this to liven up otherwise dull patrols by giving the rudder or ailerons a playful tug if the pilot seemed to be nodding off or wasn't doing enough to keep them entertained... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

I really think some people are taking me far too seriously. ;D ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 06, 2021, 04:23:29 PM

I really think some people are taking me far too seriously. ;D ;D

Javelins are a bit like Marmite, there are only two opinions of them. You either ADORE the amazing devices, or you DETEST them and the air space they occupy.  ;D

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Influenced by a recent Whiffie nomination?  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

I don't think the Javelin really works BUT adding the Javelin nose & cockpit to the Phantom fuselage? I think you're really onto something, there! ;D  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Stan in YUL

Rheged

This is a superb piece of work,  and worthy of immortalisation in styrene and backstory.

The only practical disadvantage of this machine is that the navigator no longer has the opportunity to strike the driver's ankles a sharp tap with his plotting ruler if they do something inappropriate.   I'm told that the occupant of the Sea Vixen coal hole found this an admirable way to keep their chauffeur in order.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

The Wooksta!

I quite frankly loathe the Javelin. Contemptible pile of junk, the RAF should have got the Vixen.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic