B

Fitting Jet Engines To Single Engine Props...

Started by B777LR, January 02, 2008, 06:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

Some months ago i did a jet spitfire. It had a jet engine mounted below the nose, which makes it rather heavy in the nose. I was browsing the web today when i spotted this wee little jet, and thought that it might be worth trying next time! What do you guys think?

http://www.newpiper.com/piperjet/

Devil_505

Personally, I'd like to see that Jet Spitfire.

If you plan on doing anymore prop-jets, then I suggest looking at exsisting prop-jet designs for better reference, such as the following:

FR Fireball
F2R Dark Shark
XP-81
Do 435
XF-15
Br.960 Vultur (French site with images, English Wikipedia article without images)
XF-84H Thunderscreech
XF-88B
The last two are actually jets with propellers fitted on them.

B777LR

QuotePersonally, I'd like to see that Jet Spitfire.

I did mean jets fitted on prop powered aircraft, replacing the prop :dum: But this idea of 2 powerplants is very good!  

gooberliberation

You could also go with a bifurcated exhaust like in the Hawker Sea Hawk, either with wing-root intakes and a pointy nose or normal wings with a nose intake. I think it'd be fairly elegant.

If you're going the wee-jet route, perhaps have one in each wing root or in pods? The piperjet style would look awkward even for a 1940s jet fighter.
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Ed S

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

AeroplaneDriver

The PiperJet is a neat design.  The engine placement allows for a huge cabin for the size of the aircraft.  The Diamond (the most advanced project, already flying) and Cirrus area both also developing single-engine jets (VLJs-Very Light Jets is the industry term for all these new jets)  Eclipse have been delivering twin engine Eclipse 500s since early last year, and surprised everybody when they showed up at the Oshkosh airshow with a single-engine demonstrator that was VERY impressive when it flew. 

All of these new designs have the engine mounted in the fuselage with side intakes except the PiperJet.  I'm not 100% sure if the materials available in the 40s would be strong enough to support an engine installation like this.  Evan may be the guy to ask about that. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

B777LR

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 06, 2008, 10:13:35 PM
All of these new designs have the engine mounted in the fuselage with side intakes except the PiperJet.  I'm not 100% sure if the materials available in the 40s would be strong enough to support an engine installation like this.  Evan may be the guy to ask about that. 

Yup, it is a very nice design. A local firm called Air Alpha who is the only dealer of pipers in the baltic and russia has sold a lot of them to russia already :)

I suppose a Tucano/Pilatus light trainer would be better than a spitfire (in regards to materials)? This could make for a very nice light jet, with ability to fit a proper radar in the nose for AMRAAMS ;D

GTX

Hi folks,

New thread for possible whiff conversions of piston engined fighters.  I'm thinking of creations similar to the Me-109TL (either single or twin engined) or Yak-15 (based upon the piston-engined Yak-3U):

How about a Mitsubishi Zero converted as such or a Re-2005?  What other ideas?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Arc3371

Since it gives me a reason to post my profiles.

Me-109S

FFVS J-22 into J-22R (probably a bad idea considering how much woo is used in the J-22)

P-47 Jetbolt(?)

noxioux

How about a Tigercat or Lightning?

The Rat

Ain't without precedent, the first was probably the Saab 21R. You could also think about turbo conversions for bombers like the Lancaster/Lincoln...

...or the Amiot 143! (sorry, had to sneak that in somewhere  :lol:)
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Daryl J.

Longer, skinnier turbojets on any Gloster Meteor.

Turbojets imbedded in the wings of a Republic Rainbow ( oh goodness, I'm almost sweating.....)

Bruce Craig, of www.f84thunderjets.com fame has a Republic P-47 Thunderjest underway....turbojet powered of course.   

Round-nosed Herc with 4 turbojets used for the US Army as a hack, US Post office as a transport, etc.......ie something where ultra-quick acceleration for short fields is less important.

Daryl J., learning how to podcast

kitbasher

Quote from: Daryl J. on February 23, 2008, 07:37:25 PM
Round-nosed Herc with 4 turbojets used for the US Army as a hack, US Post office as a transport, etc.......ie something where ultra-quick acceleration for short fields is less important.

So, a shortened C-141, perhaps? ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Mossie

The Hawker Sea Hawk was known in development as the 'Jet Tempest'.  I've seen a pic of a Sea Hawk with a Tempest wing in BSP, but I'm not sure if it resembled it more early on.  I've also seen pics of jet Mosquito, I guess a DH Hornet is a natural progression from that?

How about an XP-67, that'd be cool. :ph34r:  There also this:

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Rat

Quote from: Daryl J. on February 23, 2008, 07:37:25 PMLonger, skinnier turbojets on any Gloster Meteor.

Captured Jumos?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr