Airfix Nimrod

Started by NARSES2, January 05, 2008, 03:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard of Effingham

minor diversion here.....

does anyone know what the diameter of the nimrod's fuselage is in feet and inches?  :huh:

cannot find this gen anywhere,  >:(
Keeper of George the Cat.

Aircav

Well, the Comet fuselage diameter is 2.97m, which is 9ft 8.92 inches and as the Nimrod upper fuselage is the same as a the Comet it should be the same  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Mossie

Got mine today from the Post Office!!! :wub:  That decal sheet is damn impressive, even if you do it OOB you get a fair amount of spares.  Same with the weapons options, you're going to have some left for other projects & given the large amount of variants, probably a fair amount of random bits & bobs too.  Wonder what it'd look like in DG/DSG/LSG or even 80's wraparound???
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Reading on other forums, there's been a lot of comment on just how big the kit is, comments like it's humongous among others! 

Erm! --- I had to set them straight because it's not much bigger than a Shackleton which in turn isn't much bigger than a Lancaster ----- now this is humongous:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Are you sure that 747 is in 72nd scale ?

And is that a map of the bulging metropolis of Iqualuait ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 29, 2008, 09:59:55 PM
Are you sure that 747 is in 72nd scale ?

Yup!  ;D

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 29, 2008, 09:59:55 PM
And is that a map of the bulging metropolis of Iqualuait ?

:lol:  actually it's a road 'atlas' of Alberta, I needed something that shows all the Townships and Range Roads on it while we were hunting for a property to buy.  I find it very useful as I like to drive the backroads when I go anywhere, once you've been up and down the few major roads a few times it gets boring.

Mossie

Wingspan on the Nimrod is only 2m longer that the Shack, but the fuse is 12m longer, at approx  36m it's 1.5 times longer.  The Nimrod is a touch longer than the Vulcan, with a very similar wingspan.  Since the 6th Modellers Commandmant is 'Thou shalt have at least one Airfix Vulcan in thy stash!' I thought these photos might help:

The Nimrod isn't huge but build more than one & you're going to have a bit of headache with storage space, especially with the size of the average house in the UK & Europe (tends to be a fair bit smaller than the US, Canada & Oz).  Robert/Todd, at approx 70-76m depending on the model, the 747 is around twice as long as the Nimrod.  If I built that 747 I'd have to move out!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

I was comparing the Nimrod with my recently finished Shackleton based Nottingham, Simon.  Here you can see the Nimrod wing span considerably shorter than the Shackleton', even if you take off 14mm each side which I added to the wing roots for the Nottingham, but you're right about the fuselage, it is quite a bit longer.

Mossie

Ah, I got the wingspans the wrong way around!  I just thought the Vulcan was a good comparison because just about everyone has built one or got one in the stash & had trouble in figuring out where to put it!  I built one as a kid & in my bedroom that measured about 9ft by 6ft.  Then I had to store it there too, it just propped on the edge of my computer table, my pride & joy but I can't remember how many times I had to reattach the uindercarriage because it got knocked off the end!  Then my brother solved the problem for me by trying to 'fly' it! >:( >:( >:(  He was more than old enough to know better, but still, I felt better when I gave a good pasting for it! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Mossie on March 01, 2008, 07:36:41 AM
Since the 6th Modellers Commandmant is 'Thou shalt have at least one Airfix Vulcan in thy stash!'

what are the others mossie? are they worth an article all their own?  ;D ;D

t.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Mossie

There are plenty of others!  You're right Trev, a new threads a good idea..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

lancer

Seeing the Nimrods wings on Kitnut's amazing Shack conversion sparked an idea for a jet conversion of the Shackleton using the Nimrod wings. No idea if I'll ever get around to building uit though
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

P1127

I notice a bit of a JMN thread about the Nimrod developing on Hyperscale..... :dalek:
It's not an effing  jump jet.

Captain Canada

Quote from: P1127 on March 07, 2008, 01:15:00 AM
I notice a bit of a JMN thread about the Nimrod developing on Hyperscale..... :dalek:

Japanese Maritime Nimrod ? Oh, invite them over here !

:rolleyes:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie