Airfix Nimrod

Started by NARSES2, January 05, 2008, 03:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Captain Canada

I think us CDNs need to get together and see who's building what. I don't want to be building the same one as somebody else !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Aircav

The tail fin on the AEW.3 is taller I've just discovered, ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Tojo633

I seem to recall that my Aeronautical Engineering course leader at James Watt college in Greenock did some of the work on the Nimrod Radomes when he was with Hawker Siddeley at the time I'm sure. If memory serves me right he was originally with Blackburn as an apprentice I'm sure on Buccaneers as well, then a spell in the RN and then HS and as far as I know he is still in a high position at the college.
Sandy

SimonR

Despite swearing never to get involved with any more of Airfix's rubbish my two Nimrods arrived this morning! One is going in the stash but my plan for the other is to reverse the Nimrod's development journey and make a civilian freighter - SuperCargoComet. I would like to make a passenger airline but I can't be bothered to make all the windows. I will either do a fully articulated nose section or perhaps a forward cargo door like the 747-400F or C-5. Bare metal finish just to make life hard with Flying Tigers livery.
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

Mossie

Just a slip through the post saying the Postie tried to deliver it while I was out & it's waiting at the Post Office.  I'm excited!!!  ;D Although getting to the Post Office when I work the hours it opens might be a problem..... :huh:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

You know, I have got a terrible headache this evening....!!!! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I was thinking, I've been working several hours over & above the call of duty for the last few weeks at least & we've got nowt much on, sure the boss wouldn't mind me taking a couple of hours off.  Wednesday might be best, I'm at York tommorrow & that means leaving quite a lot earlier to get home.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Jeffry Fontaine

Fotios Rouch has provided a nice review of the Airfix Nimrod kit as well as a few images of the parts sprues and the decals at Cybermodeler for those of us that are currently unable to afford or acquire this kit: http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/airfix/kit_airfix_12050.shtml
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

kitnut617

I got one of mine yesterday, had the plastic out and had a good look at things.  The first thing I checked was the decals, glad to report there's no smudges on any of the decals that I can see.  It's not as big as I had thought, only a couple of inches longer than a Shackleton and about the same span:

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Are you just sniffing plastic Robert or is actually getting built???  What're your plans?

kitnut617

Sniffing   :wacko:  But it may just jump to the front of the lineup. :rolleyes: it's a very nice model, not like your normal Airfix kit (very Trumpeter like) I was going to build my Airfix Club Spitfire Mk.XVI next but I'm having problems trying to come up with the correct paint colour for it,  I'm going to do it like this using the CanMilAir decal sheet I have for it: http://www.canmilair.com/products.asp?cat=38&pg=10

But on top of that I've some developments in the house hunting area, and if our offer goes through, I'll be on the move in a month or so.  I might have to put everything on hold for a while if it happens.

Martin H

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 27, 2008, 08:36:37 AM
not like your normal Airfix kit (very Trumpeter like)

Well guess who tooled and produced it for Airfix LOL
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

jcf

Quote from: Martin H on February 27, 2008, 11:57:17 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on February 27, 2008, 08:36:37 AM
not like your normal Airfix kit (very Trumpeter like)

Well guess who tooled and produced it for Airfix LOL

Which is all good, as long as they don't start developing and designing kits for Hornby-Airfix.
Development and design is where some of the Trumpeter design teams are still constantly stepping on their own naughty bits.  :banghead: :banghead:

Jon

Nigel Bunker

Not a whiff I'm afraid, but these might be of interest.

The R1 is Airfix (with windows to be added), the MR2P is the old Formaplane kit and the P-3 (for size comparison) is the Revell boxing of the Hasegawa kit

Life's too short to apply all the stencils

kitnut617

Nice builds Nigel!,  you've done a good job with the Formaplane kit too, I've got the Aircraft in Miniature rendering of that kit too and I hope I can get it even remotely as good as yours.

Robert