B

Ringe Design Bureau Project 1101

Started by B777LR, January 05, 2008, 05:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

*Soviet national anthem plays in background*

Glorious Comrades!
Today is a glorious day for our motherland, as the newly started secret KGB design bureau in the decadent west, has started development of the fighter that will kick the capitalist swines out of europe! Oh, and the reason for design bureau in the west, no decadent western spies would suspect us of developing our aircraft here ^_^

Also on the bench :ar:

Za Rodina!!!!

noxioux

So, my guess is that faint line drawing on the top of the first page is it?  STOVL?

There are some very interesting things you could do to that Fishbed. . .

If it is a STOVL version, I'll be very interested in seeing this turn out.  I had thought to do the STOVL Flagon, but never yet got up the ambition to see it through.

B777LR

It is the MiG 23-31 :o

It is a MiG-21 that was converted into a VTOL aircraft built to demonstrate the a VTOL design for the Soivet air force. It was lifted vertically by a lift jet mounted in the center fuselage. To allow air into the main engine, the fuselage was widened to duct air around the lift-jet. My version is not correct compared to the real one. The lift jet is a tad too small, so i have decided to do it as a STOVL aircraft. It is also the wrong version of the Mig-21 that i have utilised (but it was cheap ;D). Does anybody have any ideas as to how i shall paint it? My thoughts so far:
Finnish with black-green camo
Soviet with bare metal
Soviet with desert camo for afganistan
Soviet with forest camo for europe

jcf

Its a cool project, however, the MiG-21PD/23-31/Product 92/Ye7PD was not a STOVL or VTOL aircraft, it was STOL.

Like the MiG 23-01 and the Sukhoi T-58VD the lift engines were used solely to shorten the takeoff and landing rolls, as installed the RD-36-35 lift jets did not have the power to lift the airframe vertically.

Evidently four of the lift engines, rather than the two installed, would have made the 21 airframe VTOL capable.

Jon

McGreig

Quote from: B777LR on January 06, 2008, 10:45:58 AM
My version is not correct compared to the real one. The lift jet is a tad too small, so i have decided to do it as a STOVL aircraft. It is also the wrong version of the Mig-21 that i have utilised

I wouldn't bother too much about that - it still looks like an interesting project to me. :D I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out. And I'd go for the desert colours (even though the V/STOL Yak-38 performed poorly in Afghanistan ;))

B777LR

Yes, some afganistani campaign scheme it will be 8)

Since its going to be in afganistan, it will need some air to ground stores. I think i will scavenge some rocket pods or bombs from my spare parts box.

As for now you will just have to do with these pictures!:

Yes, that is the exhaust from the Italeri F-35B. Too small, but i think result is very nice ;)

B777LR

Did east german forces participate in the war in afganistan?

cthulhu77

Looking very interesting, the 21 sure was a versatile sucker.

McGreig

Quote from: B777LR on January 08, 2008, 06:23:55 AM
Did east german forces participate in the war in afganistan?
Neat looking conversion work.
As far as I know, East German forces did not participate in Aghanistan.  However, I remember the Heller boxing of the Airfix Mi-24 had an East German Hind flying over a suspiciously Afghan looking background and it looked quite at home! :lol: So, East German desert scheme? Go for it - - - :wacko:

Rafael

Sweet jumping baby J.!!!

B777LR This is, ah, um, WOW!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

B777LR

Bah, the Italeri hind i was hoping to get the east german decals from had czech markings instead :banghead:
The box said that markings were included for east german version :banghead:

Back to Soivet markings >:(

jcf

Seeing how the real aircraft had a fixed landing gear, are you going to give yours..

spats?

:wacko:

Jon

B777LR

Evil evil git, spats on a red plane :wacko: ;D

Did i mention that it will be outfitted as a groundpounder  :wacko:

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

B777LR

If you like that, then look at this! ;D

Markings: Will be either Albanian or Polish :wacko: Which will look better in afganistan?