K

The Kiwi's baaaaaaaaaack......with a SPITFIRE!

Started by K5054NZ, January 06, 2008, 06:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K5054NZ

Hi all!

Man I love this new site! Looks good!

A coupla days ago I rediscovered the "Bag Planes" I was sent a while back, amongst them was a Matchbox (I think?) Spitfire IXe/XVI. Now we all know there's no such thing as Too Many Spitfires:

So I thought it only fitting my first whiff (and model) of Double Oh Eight should be a Spit. Howsabout a two-seater? There's no actual rear seat on the build due to the fact i didn't add the second cockpit until AFTER I'd cemented the thing together! Judicious use of an X-Acto on the rear fuse resulted in a nice gap for a FW190 canopy I'd found:

Backstory may be finetuned etc, but here's what I wrote down as the paint dried:

- Mk.VIII A28-758 with RAAF, demobbed in 1948
- Sold to Sid Marshall, then onsold to Jock Adamson of Hamiltion, New Zealand 1951
- In store upon arrival June '51, assembled and converted to two seat config 1954-55
- First flew in NZ April 10 1955, registered ZK-DCY (?)
- Equipped with cameras August '55 and used by Adamson Aerial Mapping
- Supplemented by newly-retired RNZAF Mustang NZ2423/ZK-CCF 1956
- Retired 1961 after engine failure and crashlanding Napier Oct '61
- Sold to Tim Wallis/Alpine Deer Group 1986 for possible airworthy restoration, but traded to Stephen Grey/The Fighter Collection for Mk.XVI TB863 1988
- Stored at Duxford until 1994, sold to Carolyn Grace as spares source for ML407
- Donated to Southampton Airport Authority 2001, external restoration to display cond. Mk.VIII completed 2006
- Placed on inside display at Southampton Intl, opened to public display 2008 at naming of RJ Mitchell Intl Airport

Obviously I'll flesh it out and stuff, and the model still needs some details done too, but this is what's occupying my time until my job arrives :). Also looking at a R/W 1:48 Mustang (cheers Baz!) and some other whifs. STAY TUNED!

PS - Like Vulcans? I have a surprise...

cthulhu77

Sweet stuff, Kiwi !  Would be great for tours of the Grand Canyon, no?

The Rat

QuotePS - Like Vulcans?

Doesn't everyone? Well, I did know one guy,... but they'll never find the body.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

SinUnNombre

Awesome, Zac. It's good to have you back on the new board, brother. Can't wait for the Vulc. And you know...I still haven't finished that P-40... ::)

Jon

McGreig

Nice work! But where's the radial engine - - - - ::)

K5054NZ

:P to you, McG. I distinctly remembering seeing someone slap an AsH-82FN on the front of one and making it look sexy as hell, so I gave up entertaining any thoughts of doing that!

Jon, to be fair, I too never finished that P-40....or the other four I have on the go..... :-[ And it IS good to be back! Got a mean-looking coat of rattlecan g**** on it now, just waiting for me to get my a into g and get the other colours....and some nice Kiwis....

B777LR

K5054NZ

Quote from: B777LR on January 07, 2008, 08:10:41 AM
That is a lot of spities, me only has one 2
:D And I still want more......unsure what marks yet, but I'd love to do a 1:48 Mk.Vb, and another, bigger K5054 would be nice.....

back to the topic at hand - apologies for the overall roughness, but I was focussed on simply completing the machine, rather than making it truly civilianised. Hence the cannon bulges, rough rear canopy rails etc etc.

Sisko

Nice collection it's good to see you posting. It's been awhile.

Ah the spitfire, you know I should get of my arse and build one, one of these days.

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

PanzerWulff

Welcome back Zac,good to see ya.That Spit looks sweet to me maybe for use as a pathfinder would be cool
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

John Howling Mouse

Helllllllloooooooooo Zaaaaaaaaaaaaac!
Looks promising.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

B777LR

Quote from: K5054NZ on January 07, 2008, 01:49:01 PM
Quote from: B777LR on January 07, 2008, 08:10:41 AM
That is a lot of spities, me only has one 2
:D And I still want more......unsure what marks yet, but I'd love to do a 1:48 Mk.Vb, and another, bigger K5054 would be nice.....

How about a captured spitfire in german markings and a Daimler Benz engine fitted!
http://www.zweiter-weltkrieg-lexikon.de/phpBB2/userpix/5_spitfiremitDb601mot_1.jpg

Rafael

Zac, that's one helluva comeback!!! :wub:

That two-seater Spit looks killer!!

Now, where are the thumbsup and bow emoticons?!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

K5054NZ

Thanks Rafa, you're too kind!

Well, last night I spent several hours watching The Dam Busters, Spitfire aka First Of The Few and Battle Of Britain, and used the time to finish my little Spit.

Enjoy, lads. She ain't perfect, but I'm pleased with how she turned out.

And if you like this, wait til you see the European F4U I'm working on.....

BlackOps

Zac, I'm surprised your mouth hasn't run dry what with all the spittin' you've been doing! Nice to see you back and manipulating plastic too    -_-
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.