Working With Solid Foam

Started by elmayerle, January 07, 2008, 10:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

I recently acquired a solid plasitc foam model of the "Tu-26 Backfire-B" from the, I'd guess, 1980s, based on the best available intelligence data of the time.  Ostensibly, it's in 1/126 scale, but that's close enough for me to use 1/144 weaposn to arm my Tu-26MP interceptor.  My question is in regards to the best paints to use for priming and painting when I get that far.  Mind you, some of the smaller details, like the inlets, seem to be missing, so I'm going to scratch some Tu-22Me style ones.

Thanks for any help.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

HOG

Hiya,
Not knowing the type of foam you have ,I would suggest that you stick to waterbased paints, most acrylics, gouache etc at least for the first coat. Once given an overall coat you could experiment with enamels in a hidden area. I have painted polystyrene ceiling tiles in enamel after precoating with emulsion paint (like wot decorators use) but tyhis may be a bit heavy on a small scale model.
regards Gary
:DALEK:
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Mossie

I'd go careful with the adhesive you use too, super glue should be okay as it's not particuraly reactive but try an area first.  All purpose adhesive can melt some foams, as I found out while trying to fix a display board at work. :rolleyes:  Avoid polystyrene cement like the plague!!!  Especially if it's expanded polystyrene, but almost anything else, it will pit it, shrink it & generally turn it into a mess.  Scenery modelers use it in this way to make cliff & rock faces, looks very effective, but even Russian aircraft don't weather that badly!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Hi Evan,
assuming its the two-part expanding polyurethane foam (commonly used for flotation in boats) that was used in the other foam kits I've seen from the 1980s, I'd go for 5-minute epoxy as adhesive and spray on a coat of Krylon Fusion as a base primer.

If it is the polyurethane foam, polystyrene cement will not work as it will not melt the surface.

I've used the two-part stuff working on boats and have glassed over it with no problems with both polyester resin and epoxy.

Jon

elmayerle

Thanks, Jon. I appreciate the help, all, since I'm going to have to build-up my own intakes for this beastie and those, almost certainly, will be styrene and putty.  It should be a bit of a challenge, but it needs be done.  I envision the model being displayed in flight since no landing gear or gear-bay doors came with it, either.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

MartG

White PVA glue also works well with foam, and being water based won't affect the foam in any way
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

noxioux

I used to work with a lot of the yellow urethane foam for signs.  We used "gorilla glue", which worked really well, but made a big mess--I wouldn't recommend it for something on this scale.  It would foam out on the edges.  But once you gorilla glued it, it was NOT coming apart short of total destruction.

We used a heavy high-hide acrylic primer to completely seal the foam.  I think any kind of heavy acrylic primer would work great, and then you could paint on top of that with whatever tickled your fancy.