Winter Fitter - Blatant Theft of AD's Painting Technique

Started by McGreig, January 08, 2008, 05:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGreig

I had originally planned to finish this modified Hobbycraft Fitter in an all white winter scheme, but I ran out of enthusiasm and it's been sitting around three quarters finished for a few years now.

However, when I saw AeroplaneDriver's Blu-Tack masking technique on his Japanese Hunter, I thought that it might be worth adapting (OK - stealing :dalek:) his methods to try to produce a more interesting winter finish.

This is the first time that I've tried this and I have to say that, even though I clearly don't have AD's painting skills, I'm happy with the result so far.

The tail and the starboard wing still have to be painted and then I have to rebuild the undercarriage and add stores.

I used Humbrol enamels and an airbrush with a fine needle, so I required a bit less masking and didn't have to put the model in a plastic bag to paint, but otherwise I've tried to follow AD's Blu-Tack tutorial to the letter.

cthulhu77

I would say that your used method worked perfectly ! That is a great winter camo.

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Mossie on January 09, 2008, 06:39:16 AM
Mmmm, winter cam! :wub:

Red stars I presume?

Hopefully Finnish ! - Looks great to me aswell !

Ian

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

McGreig

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on January 09, 2008, 11:03:36 AM
Red stars I presume?
Hopefully Finnish ! - Looks great to me as well !
Ian
Thanks for the complimentary remarks. I've now finished the camouflage and I'm rebuilding the missing U/C parts. I'll post a few more pics when it's further along.

Sorry, IHG, but it'll be Soviet. However, I'm quite keen to try this technique again and see if I can do it without the touch-ups that I needed this time round. I'm thinking of using similar schemes, but maybe with some greys added, on a Chinese Il-28 and a Finnish MiG-21 (although the Il-28 is much further advanced than the MiG)

Maverick

Sweet scheme McG, always been a fan of the fitter either as a swinger or fixed wing.

Brian da Basher

USing two different shades of green really make this scheme stand out, McG! Excellent work!

Brian da Bashefr

John Howling Mouse

Sorry, IHG, but it'll be Soviet.
[/quote]

Never apologize for choosing Soviet.  That would be like apologizing for choosing Vodka.

Tvarisch Snellovitch
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BlackOps

:wub:  If your going to borrow a technique you'd better do it well, I think you've done AD proud :)
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

AeroplaneDriver

Wow!   It's flattering for someone to use an idea I came up with.  And very cool to see that it worked for them!

Remember, it's only stealing if you refuse to pay my standard licensing fee of 16oz of cool hoppy goodness, should we ever meet in person! 

....now where is the 'cheers' smiley when you need it..?
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Rafael

Perfect!!!

A Fitter with personality and attitude!!
She will look great with the red stars on.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on January 09, 2008, 11:03:36 AM

Red stars I presume?

Hopefully Finnish ! - Looks great to me aswell !

Ian

Hopefully Finished....it would be a shame to "over egg"it Looks good.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

McGreig

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 11, 2008, 07:57:06 PM
Remember, it's only stealing if you refuse to pay my standard licensing fee of 16oz of cool hoppy goodness, should we ever meet in person! 
It's a deal. I'm pleased that you passed on the idea and I'll be trying it again to see if I can overcome some of the teething problems I had this time.

Dork - I agree that minimalist is best in this case. I've now finished the painting and the markings will be restricted to red stars on the fin and wings and a number on the nose. Here are a couple of pre-marking pics (alongside a Chinese Eurocopter - Hobby Boss - that I started in summer but haven't quite finished)

McGreig

Finished -_- I've still got to find a couple of spare rocket pods to hang on the inner pylons, but this is essentially completed and I'm quite pleased with it. AD's Blu-Tack masking worked as advertised and a model that has been sitting around unfinished for a few years is now ready for the Milton Keynes show.

If I was starting from scratch, I wouldn't use the Hobby Craft Su-17 but shortening the span, moving the wing forward and adding some details makes it look much better than the caricature built straight from the box. The only thing that you can't do much about is the canopy which is OK in profile but too broad.

It's a pity that the Russians don't use winter camouflage in real life, but I bet that no-one at the show will realise that it's a whiff  :wacko: