1/72 Douglas B-7B "Brigand" from a Contrail YB-7 vacform

Started by Brian da Basher, January 09, 2008, 02:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

AIR CORPS BOMBERS SCUTTLE JAPANESE INVASION FLEET.... PHILIPPINES SAVED IN GALLANT AIR ACTION....MAC ARTHUR TO TAKE WAR TO THE ENEMYscreamed the American news tickers on the morning of Dec. 10th, 1941. In the Philippines that day, a squadron of obsolete Douglas B-7B Brigand medium bombers had managed to turn the tide and save the pacific outpost from destruction. The Brigands of the 9th Bomber Squadron, lead by one Lt. Col. Martell-Mead had managed to do the seemingly impossible and sink all but two of the ships in the Japanese invasion fleet before they could land a force to wrest the Philippines from the Americans. This one engagement changed the entire course of the Pacific war.

It all began in 1933 when the U.S. Army Air Corps announced a bomber competition, seeking modern replacements for their aging Keystone biplanes. Douglas had already provided a test squadron of YB-7 bombers and modernized the design by adding a nose turret, enclosed cockpit and rear gunner's station. These changes put their entry on a par with the revolutionary Martin B-10. While the B-7B was not the winner, the Air Corps decided to hedge its bet and ordered it into limited production to augment the B-10s. As things heated up in the Pacific, all equipment that could be spared was sent to the Philippines, including the B-7Bs which brought Lt. Col. Martell-Mead and his men fame and glory.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

Here's what I've been working on for the last three weeks. It all started during a chat with Thorvic on MSN a while back. He knows my taste for inter-war aircraft well and spotted a Contrail YB-7 vacform for sale. He was kind enough to act as my agent and actually purchased two of them for me. One came across the water via Royal Mail and the other returned from Telford with Scooterman (a.k.a. "The Transporter"). Needless to say, I've got some favors to repay.

It was a good thing I had two of these kits as cutting out the wings is an exercize in precision which I botched on the first attempt. I sacrificed the wings from the second kit to put this together. The guns, props and exhausts are cast in white metal. The first kit also came with a supply of strut material of various thicknesess which was a godsend. If course, I can't build anything just out of the box, so I tried to imagine what an improved version might be and added the nose turret, canopy and rear gunner's blister. The nose turret was from a clear box of cookies and the cockpit canopy is a rear spare P-51 canopy and the front is a spare windscreen. The rear gunner's blister I made by smashforming clear plastic. I used cigarette pack cellophane for the bombardier's window and to cover the lights on the wings. Here's a close-up of the nose.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

Thorvic also suggested the Philippines scenario which I thought would be a natural place to station obsolete fictional B-7B bombers. Of course, they'd have to wear a camo paintjob too. I researched bomber units stationed at Clark Field and found out the 9th Bomber Squiaron was sent there. The insignia for that unit is pretty easy to paint by hand assuming you have a nice black disc decal to paint it on. Speaking of paint, the entire model was brush painted by hand in acrylics, including the rudder stripes. I used Artist's gesso for the white on the tail as it covers better than model paints. The markings, save for the code numbers and unit insignia all came with the kit and went on astonishingly well for being made in 1992.

This project is my way of saying thanks to Overscan for all his hard work in getting the new board software up and running, a heroic feat in anyone's book!

Brian da Basher

kitnut617

If you have been able to put a vacuform together in three weeks and get it to look as good as this, I take my hat off to you.  Very nice build of a 'very unusual' subject.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Maverick

Brian, as always my gob is well & truly smacked!  Another brilliant concept & just sooo 'real'.  Add to that the fact it's a vac & my gob is needing major hospitalisation!

Top Hole :wub: :wub:

frank2056

Brian,
It looks great! Although it looks a bit like a French bomber from the 30's. I love how you managed to get the plane spatted... even if it involved the engines! Very cool.

Frank

Chap

Lovely work Brian, I just love the pre-WWII works of genius that you crank out.

~Steve

Captain Canada

Did the Japanese scuttle their own ships to save themselves from the ugliness of 'that' aeroplane or what ?

;D

Nice one, Brian ! Love the story and the camo.....and I agree with Frank, sure does look French ! The cockpit canopy is a real winner. Looks like an upside down Corsair wing would be a good replacement had you managed to botch number 2 as well !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

noxioux

cthulhu77

:cheers:  Fantastically rotund and convincing, a great aircraft to go with a great story. If you all keep on banging these ideas around, there are going to be more confused jmn's than you could shake a stick at.

NARSES2

Great stuff Brian - I love those 1930's US Bomber types
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn Gilbertson

Really impressive modelling, Brian, and I like the backstory! <_<

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

McGreig

A vacform + 3 weeks + you had to convert it too!!! You're trying to give the rest of us an inferiority complex!!! :wacko:
That's a great looking model :wub: and, as usual, completely convincing. <_<

Eddie M.

Your machine takes you right back in time in your story. I really enjoy this one. :) Outstanding package all around.  :mellow: ;D
    Eddie
Look behind you!