UH-1 'Huey' and AH-1 'Cobra' (Bell and Augusta built aircraft) all versions

Started by dy031101, January 09, 2008, 08:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Question folks:

I'm building the Special Hobby Huey Cobra at the moment, and it has lots of optional parts, but no explanation of what they are and what applies to which version! The thing I'm particularly wondering about at the moment is the rotor mast. Two different versions are provided:

1. Shorter mast with a flat plate base that seals off the hole in the top of the fuselage.

2. Longer mast with a "frying pan" base that leave the hole in the top of the fuselage recessed.

What's the difference between them and which is earlier or later?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

I think the closed one (#1) belongs to the single-engine versions, be it early or late (e. g. on the 'nam G versions, but also on the much later Fs).
AFAIK the two engine versions have an open top side, from which the rotor mast sprouts, but I am not certain if that matches #2?

Weaver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 21, 2015, 09:39:25 AM
I think the closed one (#1) belongs to the single-engine versions, be it early or late (e. g. on the 'nam G versions, but also on the much later Fs).
AFAIK the two engine versions have an open top side, from which the rotor mast sprouts, but I am not certain if that matches #2?

All the options in this kit are single-engined AH-1Gs, so I think the differences are "early production" and "late production" rather than different sub-types.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

I think it may have been an aerodynamic covering that was later abandoned because the aerodynamic advantages didn't weigh out the disadvantages in maintenance.

EDIT: Straight from the horse's mouth: Floyd Werner (former Cobra pilot) said on ARC that the aerodynamic covers were quickly removed in the field after they found out that they didn't actually help the aerodynamics. He said about 99% of the Cobras didn't have it.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on June 21, 2015, 01:26:36 PM
I think it may have been an aerodynamic covering that was later abandoned because the aerodynamic advantages didn't weigh out the disadvantages in maintenance.

EDIT: Straight from the horse's mouth: Floyd Werner (former Cobra pilot) said on ARC that the aerodynamic covers were quickly removed in the field after they found out that they didn't actually help the aerodynamics. He said about 99% of the Cobras didn't have it.

Excellent - thank you.  :thumbsup: (and please thank Floyd for me since I don't have a log-on there)

Since mine is a mid 1970s export to Argentina, it won't have the cover.

- Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Hmmm....you learn something new everyday ! Now what about the handed tail rotors ? I had no idea until I bought the kits !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 29, 2015, 05:16:52 PM
Hmmm....you learn something new everyday ! Now what about the handed tail rotors ? I had no idea until I bought the kits !

:cheers:

Left side on very early ones, right side thereafter.

- Indiana Jones

strilekawk

while reading this thread I came across one post asking about a navalized Huey. The US Navy had two squadrons of them during the 1980's. HAL-4 and HAL-5 both flew the HH-1K which was an UH-1E that had a corrosion resistant airframe, upgraded engines, rotor, avionic,s points for fast ropes and a rescue hoist that retracted over the cabin on the right hand side. The bird was armed with the M21 system the mounted two M134 GAU-2B/A miniguns, two M60 GPMGs installed on what are known as Kline Mounts and two seven shot 2.75 inch [70mm] FFAR rocket pods ( don't ask me the destinations as I'm too darn old to remember).

I served in HAL-5 as an AO3 and worked on the Kilo for about two years not only on the weapons but with other systems as well, all members were cross trained and our cook was fully qualified to do an engine change, you don't want to know what our medic was able to do.

Right now I have an old Monogram Rescue Huey that in 48 scale that has the proper roof and hoist but lacks the M21 system and the larger 540 rotor blades. Getting the weapon mounts will be easy, they can be robbed from a Huey Hog kit, it's the M134 thats going to be fun to find.

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: strilekawk on August 01, 2015, 10:01:35 AM
you don't want to know what our medic was able to do.

Yes we do  ;D ;D

Seriously it's always good to hear from people with hands on experience of the kit we use on our models  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

strilekawk

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 02, 2015, 02:05:51 AM
Quote from: strilekawk on August 01, 2015, 10:01:35 AM
you don't want to know what our medic was able to do.

Yes we do  ;D ;D

Seriously it's always good to hear from people with hands on experience of the kit we use on our models  :thumbsup:

Our corpsman (Doc) was also a door gunner and cook, if he got bored he could drum up business on his own.

Out of all the units I served in the best times were in the Huey and HH-60H squadrons. They were small and a family, I still see those guys as much as possible.

NARSES2

Quote from: strilekawk on August 05, 2015, 03:48:36 AM

Our corpsman (Doc) was also a door gunner and cook, if he got bored he could drum up business on his own.

Right, so if the mg doesn't get you, the stew will ?  :rolleyes:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

NARSES2