S

submarine/carrier

Started by superhornet1015, January 11, 2008, 05:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superhornet1015

Ok,lets see if this can get anyones interest as a "what if". What would it look like if the government decided to cross an Aircraft Carrier with a submarine. Kind of like what the Japanese did with their I-400 class during WW2 but with a modern Nimitz class carrier, HHHHMMMMMMMMMMM. That would be very interesting.That would most certainly put the Russian Typhon class sub as the largest sub in the world to shame.

Pete

dy031101

Maybe in an arrangement like the STOVL carrier variants of Spruance class hulls like the ones depicted here except it'd be on a submarine hull.

It means that the choice of aircraft would be of STOVL variety......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

The Rat

A submersible aircraft carrier is something I've toyed with for years, but never had the guts to tackle. So I say GO FOR IT!!!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

superhornet1015

Yea, that Spruance/Carrier looks pretty cool but it don't submerge. I think I'm going to have to think of how to do this one. I have to figure out how to graft a Nimitz flight deck onto a sub hull. :banghead: :huh:

Pete

The Rat

The most believable scenario (not that we've ever really seen that as a restriction around here!) would probably have helicopters and VTOL or STOVL fighters. No messing around with catapults and arrestor systems. You might have a ski-jump, but it would probably seriously screw with the hydrodynamics. For added fun you develop a STOVL COD for resupply.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Rafael

And/or ESTOL (Extremely Short Take Off and Landing) craft like the X-31 or SNAKE

rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

dy031101

Quote from: superhornet1015 on January 12, 2008, 06:59:05 AM
Yea, that Spruance/Carrier looks pretty cool but it don't submerge.

I said "the arrangement on a submarine hull".

Takeoff deck in front of the conning tower, landing pad behind the tower.  Hangers (or access to them) built within the tower.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

superhornet1015

I got what your saying for the arrangement,but here's another idea,why have the tower be right in the middle,have it off to the side and have the elevators have doors that open up just like the jet blast deflectors on reg. a/c carriers.

Pete

Rafael

In the same way, I would like to propose, boat's beam permitting, a couple or more side-mounted doors that, when opened, reveal the elevators as in current Aircraft Carriers, avoiding the risk of a fouled landing deck in case of loss of a centered elevator.

Ummm, and what about an EM cat?

Rafa

(remembering the "Starsea Invaders" series by Mr. G. Harry Stine)
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

superhornet1015

Hey Rafa,   Thats what I'm talking about. Couldn't remember the name of the book where this idea came from but that is it. I've got a 700 scale Forrestall class carrier, just have to find a 700 scale sub to try this one out. ;D :huh:

Pete

Captain Canada

I've got a Typhoon sub in a semi-state of finished-ness as a sub/carrier. Maybe I'll have to dig it out and show it off. Flying SHARs and Sea Kings. It's got a ski-jump that flips up in the front, and elevator in the front, and some bear trap devices on the back for recovery. After that, the a/c are sent down a ramp into the hangar for quick dives.

:ph34r:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Archibald

Got an idea on the subject, based on the SNECMA C-450 coleoptere of 1959.
This was a tailsitter VSTOL fighter with an annular wing.

Sadly the tube-shaped wing of the Coleoptere has a diameter much superior  than said, a Trident missile.

Thus you would need to enlarge the tube. But otherwise it would fit in it!

Trouble would be landing a tail sitter on a submarine flight deck. Of course Trident missiles are not supposed to come back to their sub...  :rolleyes:

Hope my proposal is clear enough ? Not easy to explain this idea into english...

Otherwise some features of the sub-launched missiles could be applied to this coleoptere.
I mean launch it sealed into a water-proof capsule, push it outside the tube by pumping air...

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

PolluxDeltaSeven

It seems that nobody thought about another simple solution: seaplanes!!
But modern ones, maybe even supersonic!

A Typhoon like submarine could have some cranes and elevators in order to operate them quite easily
Speaking about weight and size, those little jet-seaplanes could be about the size of a Skyhawk, or so.

I designed one myself, with a weapon bay that reload above the fuselage and launch below it.
It was designed to be easy to build and provide a local air-defense and interdiction ability of the NATO sea bases in the Pacific and Indian Ocean during the WWIII against the Asian Alliance. Later, a folding wing variant will operate from modified former French, British and US SSBN :

EDIT: the attach picture was big, I replace it with a link http://polluxdeltaseven.free.fr/Pollux%20Wing%20Site%20Perso.jpg
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

superhornet1015

Wow,nice drawing.Looks like a cross between an A-4 Skyhawk and that F-119 stealth fighter that came out a few years back. I like it.

Pete

The Rat

Quote from: PolluxDeltaSeven on January 13, 2008, 06:06:34 AM
A Typhoon like submarine could have some cranes and elevators in order to operate them quite easily

Or they could be amphibious and simply taxi up a ramp into the hangars?